T Nation

Help Making Protein Bars

So well I recently posted if someone could help me get my hands on recipes for protein bars. So I was helped in that case (thanks everyone!). Then I found a good recipe, and I fine tuned it to my needs. Then I tried it tonight, but it doesn't seem to work out.

Here the recipe:
For Cutting:

Combine in Large Mixing Bowl

8 Scoops Whey (Vanilla is very good)
3 Cups Oats
1 Package Sugar Free Fat Free Pudding (Any flavor is good)
2 Cups Skim Milk

Mix until a sticky batter is formed (may take a few minutes)

use a large spoon to spread out the mix into the bottom of a Pam-sprayed glass or metal cooking tray (spread until even)
put in the fridge overnight and cut into 8 equal bars that yield:
3g fat
28g carbs
29g protein
257 calories
These bars taste amazing, and are perfect for: breakfast, pre OR postworkout.

I followed the recipe step by step, but it doesn’t seem, that the stuff is getting anyway near “hard enough” to cut and make bars out of. Can someone help me here please?

Thanks.

less milk probably.add more whey+pudding and maybe another.5 cup of oats instead to balence it out. tell me how it works.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
less milk probably.add more whey+pudding and maybe another.5 cup of oats instead to balence it out. tell me how it works.[/quote]

i just tried something out this morning: I just put the whole thing into the oven at about 300F. look slike it really worked and I have really good bars.

wanna edit the recipe with the baking and such?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
wanna edit the recipe with the baking and such?[/quote]

what you mean?

Doesn�??t prolonged exposure to heat damage whey protein?

I make mine out of:

Low-Carb Metabolic Drive - chocolate
1% Milk
Oats
Smart Balance Peanut Butter (Has extra omega 3 at the price of some trace amounts of molasses) I like it because it’s less oily.
Unsweetened shredded coconut

Mix together, spread in a glass cooking dish, and chill overnight, then cut into bars. Comes out like sort of a chocolate peanutbutter fudge. The coconut helps hold it together and provides a great flavor and texture. The main problem is trying not to eat too much since it tastes so good.

could I use yogurt instead of pudding? if it will i’m gonna do it tonight.

would you be able to taste the peanut butter…curious because I’m using berry flavored whey

[quote]supabeast wrote:
Doesn�??t prolonged exposure to heat damage whey protein?[/quote]

i don’t know. would be new to me. anyone ?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
could I use yogurt instead of pudding? if it will i’m gonna do it tonight.

would you be able to taste the peanut butter…curious because I’m using berry flavored whey[/quote]

i haven’t tried it with yoghurt, and I don’t think it’ll work, since pudding is different than yoghurt. yoghurt probably can’t take the heat of the oven like pudding can.

alrighty I got yogurt…and my bars will be sitting overnight. Will I need to bake them??? how long did you bake?

There is a “Recipes” forum on the MWA site and Olesya has posted a thread about Protein Bars.

You might want to check it out.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
alrighty I got yogurt…and my bars will be sitting overnight. Will I need to bake them??? how long did you bake?[/quote]

cool. please remember i used pudding!

anyway, i put them in the oven at 300F for about 60-70 minutes.

good luck.

[quote]matrick wrote:
supabeast wrote:
Doesn�??t prolonged exposure to heat damage whey protein?

i don’t know. would be new to me. anyone ?[/quote]

It denatures the protein which makes it faster to be absorbed. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the timing and purpose of why you’re eating it.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
matrick wrote:
supabeast wrote:
Doesn�??t prolonged exposure to heat damage whey protein?

i don’t know. would be new to me. anyone ?

It denatures the protein which makes it faster to be absorbed. This may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on the timing and purpose of why you’re eating it.

[/quote]

if it is faster absorbed it should be a good thing, don’t you think? since fast protein aborbation after or before a workout is nice its a good think?!

walnuts
almonds
chocolate protein powder of choice
egg whites (for baking reasons stick with whites)

use like 3 cups of nuts (1.5 of walnuts and 1.5 of almonds), 1 cup of powder, 1 cup of whites … mix the powder with the eggs first, then add the nuts … bake at 350 for about 25 minutes … I usually take peanut butter and top the bars or spread the mixture thin in the baking sheet and make like a sandwich with the peanut butter in the middle … tastes great

[quote]matrick wrote:
if it is faster absorbed it should be a good thing, don’t you think? since fast protein aborbation after or before a workout is nice its a good think?![/quote]

At that time, yes it would be a bonus. Breakfast or peri/post workout should be fast, pretty much all other times you want slow, especially right before bed.

[quote]blue9steel wrote:
matrick wrote:
if it is faster absorbed it should be a good thing, don’t you think? since fast protein aborbation after or before a workout is nice its a good think?!

At that time, yes it would be a bonus. Breakfast or peri/post workout should be fast, pretty much all other times you want slow, especially right before bed.[/quote]

then my bars are perfect. :wink:

What about making bars with the cheap ass walmart choclolate protein that taste like drywall mud?

well…since i dont taste my protein powder at all…try it =)