T Nation

Help! Lost The Fire

Hi all. I’ve got a little over a year of serious training under my belt and I’m coming off an 11 month bulk where I put on 30 pounds. I got up to 210 @ 5’10" and now I’m trying to get leaner. I’m not trying to get lean enough to see abs, but I’m trying to get rid of some of the flab and I was skinny fat before I started the bulk.

What I’ve done is add two sessions of HIIT per week, and I’m on a 250 cal/day deficit. I wasn’t doing any cardio before. I’ve been doing this for about 6 weeks and have lost about 8 pounds. My bench, squat, and deadlift have all either stalled or regressed slightly, but I expected that.

My problem is that for the last few weeks I’ve had no drive in the gym. I feel like the weights are attacking me, instead of me attacking the weights. My arms and legs feel like wet noodles. While I do not dread going to the gym at all and have no problem getting myself there, I desperately want to finally have a good workout again, but when I get under the bar my nuts just aren’t there.

Any advice? I thought I was overtraining, but I’ve been taking days off occasionally, and I took some time off over the holidays. I’ve changed up my routine by using different exercises, different set/rep schemes, different days of the week, and different times of day. Nothing seems to have worked yet.

Any help would be appreciated.

How much time did you take off during the holidays? Maybe it’s time to take one full week off.

Just a couple days here, couple there. I usually see the gym 4 days a week, and it’s been 2 or 3 for the last few weeks.

You sound like an overtraining case. What does your diet look like now? List what you eat in order through the day.

What Supplements are you on?

My diet is not super clean, especially dinner because that is the one meal I eat with the wife and kids. Regardless, here’s my log from Jan 9th.

6 AM: 3 fried eggs, 2 cups skim milk

8:30 AM: (post workout) 2 servings of whey protein mixed w/ 2 packets table sugar

11:00 AM: 1 cup white rice, 6 oz chicken breast, 3/4 cup mixed vegies

2:00 PM: 8 oz chicken breast, two slices of whole wheat bread

4:30 PM: 6 oz deli roast beef, two slices of whole wheat bread

7:00 PM 1 cup Beef sloppy joe (no bun), 1 slice whole wheat bread, 8 baked Schwans potato wedges

According to fitday: 2699 cals, 87f, 220c, 249p

So yeah, my diet sucks.

It could be you’re just adjusting to the calorie deficit. Everyone responds differently. One person can cut calories drastically and steel have loads of energy. One can slightly cut cals and feel like you. It varies and there are other variables. My advice, try HOT-ROX Extreme (your cutting fat) if that doesn’t give you a boost to turn it up during your workouts then… well then I just don’t know. Kidding, but I would suggest giving that a try.

Good luck,

D

[quote]nramaker wrote:
My diet is not super clean, especially dinner because that is the one meal I eat with the wife and kids. Regardless, here’s my log from Jan 9th.

6 AM: 3 fried eggs, 2 cups skim milk

8:30 AM: (post workout) 2 servings of whey protein mixed w/ 2 packets table sugar

11:00 AM: 1 cup white rice, 6 oz chicken breast, 3/4 cup mixed vegies

2:00 PM: 8 oz chicken breast, two slices of whole wheat bread

4:30 PM: 6 oz deli roast beef, two slices of whole wheat bread

7:00 PM 1 cup Beef sloppy joe (no bun), 1 slice whole wheat bread, 8 baked Schwans potato wedges

According to fitday: 2699 cals, 87f, 220c, 249p

So yeah, my diet sucks.[/quote]

More damn vegetables! I’m serious.

D

I second the suggestion of HOT-ROX Extreme. It’ll kick you in the pants and accelerate your fat loss goals.

And if you really have been going at it hard for some time now, a week off (or a back off week) will do you some good.

I’m still thinking that a week off is in order. I was doing a 4 day on, 1 day off program for 2 and a half years. I have since changed to a Mon/Wed/Fri and one day during the weekend…Since that change with more rest, all the lifts went up and I feel a ton better.

I second the more veggies and Fruits too.

I use fit day as well, but I hope yo uare not using their calculator for determining your calories, its not geard towards people like us. Its more for fat house wives.

I use the following calculation when tryin to loose some body fat, which I got from CT.

16 x Approx. LBM = total calories

So buy what you have listed you should be getting about 3360kcal.

I’ll add some more veggies. If I have to. I guess. God, I feel like I’m six years old all over again.

Thanks for that forumula, Panik. I figure myself between 15-20% BF, so using 17.5 just for simplicity, that gives me a LBM number of 165. 16 * 165 = 2640.

Just from past experience, it seemed like I’d maintain at ~3000, so I think that number sounds about right.

I just read the article/advertisement for HOT-ROX Extreme. As expected, the article was overly positive, but if you guys get results from it then it must work. I guess I’d like to hear more about it’s effects, both positive and negative though. Anybody have any good links? The only fat loss supplement I’ve taken before is an ephedra based product back in college. Is HRX similar?

Edit: I 'll seriously consider taking a week off. If I choose to do so, should I not eat at a deficit that week?

[quote]nramaker wrote:
I’ll add some more veggies. If I have to. I guess. God, I feel like I’m six years old all over again.

Thanks for that forumula, Panik. I figure myself between 15-20% BF, so using 17.5 just for simplicity, that gives me a LBM number of 165. 16 * 165 = 2640.

Just from past experience, it seemed like I’d maintain at ~3000, so I think that number sounds about right.

I just read the article/advertisement for HOT-ROX Extreme. As expected, the article was overly positive, but if you guys get results from it then it must work. I guess I’d like to hear more about it’s effects, both positive and negative though. Anybody have any good links? The only fat loss supplement I’ve taken before is an ephedra based product back in college. Is HRX similar?

Edit: I 'll seriously consider taking a week off. If I choose to do so, should I not eat at a deficit that week?[/quote]

Why wouldn’t you continue your deficit. If your inactive and you increase your calories you might even gain some fat. So, yes keeps the deficit going. Also, even if you take a week off the weights (I don’t agree) you can still hit cardio and or calisthenics for the week. You may feel like you’re in third grade but take the advice vegetable intake is critical for health and fat loss get em in. HOT-ROX effects are increased energy and increased fat loss it works if you use it right= slight calorie deficit and increased calorie burning=HOT-ROX= increased fat lost and increased muscle retained.

Good luck

D

Yeah, I guess you’re right. Didn’t think of that.

Any other HOT-ROX impressions?