T Nation

Help Losing 85 Pounds

Hello everyone

This is my fist post…Im need to lose about 85lbs or 25% body fat so i can join the army whats the best way

IM 32 male 285lbs

How’d you get so fat in the first place?

There’s plenty you can do:

-Get at least 5 hours of vigorous exercise a week.
-Don’t eat shit that you know isn’t good for you.
-Don’t drink anything that has calories in it.
-Drink a lot of water.

These are the big ones. Once you get these down cold and make them automatic, you can:

-Adopt a lifting routine, training your entire body.
-Do HIIT.
-Eat nothing but meat and vegetables.

Make sure you get enough sleep, and don’t cheat on the plan. This is the most important thing. You can have an awesome plan, but if your compliance is shit it doesn’t matter.

Simply losing weight when you’re very fat is simple, although perhaps not easy. Honestly, just regular intense exercise and not eating shit that you know you shouldn’t is a huge start.

[quote]Ramo wrote:
How’d you get so fat in the first place?

There’s plenty you can do:

-Get at least 5 hours of vigorous exercise a week.
-Don’t eat shit that you know isn’t good for you.
-Don’t drink anything that has calories in it.
-Drink a lot of water.

These are the big ones. Once you get these down cold and make them automatic, you can:

-Adopt a lifting routine, training your entire body.
-Do HIIT.
-Eat nothing but meat and vegetables.

Make sure you get enough sleep, and don’t cheat on the plan. This is the most important thing. You can have an awesome plan, but if your compliance is shit it doesn’t matter.

Simply losing weight when you’re very fat is simple, although perhaps not easy. Honestly, just regular intense exercise and not eating shit that you know you shouldn’t is a huge start.[/quote]

Well said Ramo.

Also, another thing is make sure you eat 5-6 meals a day, get enough protein, and limit your carbs to pre and post workout.

I’m trying to lose a significant amount of weight as well, and the first two weeks will suck (as they did for me), but after you nail a solid diet, you’ve got the ball rolling.

Good luck with your goals.

Couldn’t agree more with the above 2 posts.

Tmoney is correct in that it is what you may consider to be horrible for the initial period, but after that it becomes second nature.

Work hard… Thats all I got to say… about 15 months ago I was 282… I had moobs… Now I am 176…

Controlled diet LOTS of work, excercise and will power.

Joining the Army at 32?
So far, everyone has given you sound advice. Now K.I.S.S. and stay focussed on your goal, it is attainable with hard work and dedication.

Do this for lifting:

WS4SB
(works for FBs too)
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=311west2

Answer to “How to work up to a 3-5 rep max” here:
www.defrancostraining.com/ask_joe/archives/ask_joe_07-04-20.htm

with this on off days(You’re 285, you don’t need to start with HIIT):

I’m not 35 yet and won’t be for a few years, but I walk on an incline as my cardio. At over 260lbs, running just makes my knees hurt (I have had a serious injury in the past not related to weight lifting).

I think running (except for sprints) is the most injury prone and catabolic activity you can engage in. It also doesn’t mean much unless running for long distances is a goal. Use the elliptical machine and walk on an incline.

If a 10% slope on the treadmill at over 3mph doesn’t raise your heart rate at all…go faster.

I’m 59, six foot, 200 pounds (give or take a biscuit), and around 12% BF. Like Prof X, I do cardio on the treadmill.

Have had knee problems since Vietnam, and do not have a meniscus in the right knee. Both knees have bone spurs. The treadmill does not exacerbate the knee problems.

However, I do not run on the treadmill either. Perform 20 and 40 minute sessions, and make adjustments in 5 or 10 minute increments, depending on the length of the session. Always begin with the angle at 7 degrees, then to 9, followed by 12, and then to 15 degrees.

When the angle is adjusted, the tempo is increased. I begin at 3.4 mph, then to 3.6, followed by 3.8, and then the last increment is at 4 mph. Sometimes I adjust the tempo upwards sooner, as I want the BPM to be at approximately 120 ASAP (this is a good fat burning level for an old man - haha).

and eat this:
T-Dawg 2.0
http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=243tdawg2

[b]Do this for 3 weeks, with 90% consistency. Then come back and complain if things aren’t working.

If you’ve never bench pressed/squatted/deadlifted before, then buy this book:[/b]

Review by Jim Wendler of elitefts here:
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/starting_strength.htm