T Nation

Help Lose Weight, Add Size

so here i am im a newbie i just got out of 4 years in the military and im trying to lose some excess weight but also put some size on me im currently 156 at 18% bod fat but i wana get down to the single digits. i currently do 45 minutes of cardio 2x a week and m/w/fri i do a total body workout. im aspiring to become a fitness trainer so any help is appreciated

Here ya go, bro.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=640350

[quote]joshS wrote:
so here i am im a newbie i just got out of 4 years in the military and im trying to lose some excess weight but also put some size on me im currently 156 at 18% bod fat but i wana get down to the single digits. i currently do 45 minutes of cardio 2x a week and m/w/fri i do a total body workout. im aspiring to become a fitness trainer so any help is appreciated[/quote]

Hmm try 3-4 Cardio workouts a week instead of just 2. The more cardio you can do a week the better. If 5 times a week of running 1-2 miles is doable, then do so.

If you prefer jumproping for 20-30 minutes a day, that works too.

But you definately want to do more then 2 cardio workouts a week. But if you want to take things slow that works too :smiley:

OP you need to add mass - I don’t know what the trend is of losing weight first. You are not fat, so why cut? You will end up looking worse than now - I did it and I learnt the hard way.

Read the beginners link posted above and start lifting for size!

Sure: if you add 10 lb mass first being careful in this sort of case not to add more than a couple pounds of fat in the process – and this is doable, while without care it’s easy to add more fat than muscle – then your fat loss afterwards will be substantially faster.

To make certain of avoiding really excess fat gain for example do not allow moving up to larger size pants. In fact pants that are just a trace tight now ought to remain put-onnable, if that is a word.

This is the case unless your metabolic rate is already pretty high. If you go through 4000 calories per day maintenance presently then it’s not the case: you could just as well lose a pound or two fat this week, gain a couple pounds muscle the next few weeks, lose a pound or two fat the next week, etc. or break it up into even shorter periods of time.

But if your metabolic rate is only average then it would be better to prioritize adding some muscle first.