T Nation

Help Lose Bodyfat

I know you have heard this all before but please hear me out. I am 21 years old. I train constantly, but I cannot lose any body fat. I am currently in Iraq , so that means I kinda have to eat what is availiable, and most of it is junk food .I have struggled my whole life with my gut. I have almost NO body fat anywhere else.

I want to get rid of it ASAP!!! I am hoping to lose about 20 pounds of body fat, while being able to maintain my hard earned muscle. I have no problem putting on mass, but I can’t get cut. Please help!!!

You’re not providing much detal about your nutrition and activity habits, but whatever you can do to add lean mass will get you there in record time. Depending on what’s available, do pullups, weighted dips, lunges, etc. I’m assuming you don’t have a Gold’s gym nearby, so you’ll have to find ways to use more traditional bodyweight exercises harder. Along those lines, get a copy of Pavel Tsatsouline’s The Naked Warrior to learn ways to do this.

[quote]garland_havisham wrote:
I know you have heard this all before but please hear me out. I am 21 years old. I train constantly, but I cannot lose any body fat. I am currently in Iraq , so that means I kinda have to eat what is availiable, and most of it is junk food .I have struggled my whole life with my gut. I have almost NO body fat anywhere else.

I want to get rid of it ASAP!!! I am hoping to lose about 20 pounds of body fat, while being able to maintain my hard earned muscle. I have no problem putting on mass, but I can’t get cut. Please help!!![/quote]

There is a bad-ass gym on my base where everyone goes. I thought that only cardio would help burn fat. Adding lean mass will burn fat? I want to do cardio, it’s just that it is soo damn hot out here it is hard to run because you are almost always dehydrated.

Want to lose fat? Do the following and you will lose fat:

1. Eat only vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs, chicken, turkey and red meats.

2. Drink only spring water or small amounts of fruit and vegetable juice.

3. Train hard 5 days per week.

If you continue to use excuses for eating crap food you will continue to be fat. Is everyone in Iraq fat? No…

Try the above for 8 weeks, if it doesn’t work go back to the crap you have been eating. If it does work start a post and tell the world!

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Want to lose fat? Do the following and you will lose fat:

1. Eat only vegetables, fruits, nuts, eggs, chicken, turkey and red meats.
    [/quote]

Because this is readily available in Iraq?

garland_havisham, Post what true food options you have available at your base.

Basically all the foods that were listed are availiable. Unfortunately, alot of the beef and turkey are served with some kind of gravy, or sauce. Nuts are common because of all you supporters sending us packages which we greatly appreciate. How about Jerky? It has alot of protein. and is low in fat and calories. The only flaw I see is the high sodium content. Thanx.

No prof advise here but as I recal Na will help u retain more water and with where u are at that isn’t a bad thing. Then again to much of it is a problem and I know from experence that some of the stuff the serve in mess has a lot of Na already so u porb wount need it. Personaly I have a bag in my car for a snack well driving, but I get very little Na at home since my Mom and Dad are on a low Na diet.

[quote]garland_havisham wrote:
Basically all the foods that were listed are availiable. Unfortunately, alot of the beef and turkey are served with some kind of gravy, or sauce. Nuts are common because of all you supporters sending us packages which we greatly appreciate. How about Jerky? It has alot of protein. and is low in fat and calories. The only flaw I see is the high sodium content. Thanx.[/quote]

Then follow Zeb’s advice and focus on better food choices. You made it seem as if you were very limited in food selection. That apparently isn’t the case.

It’s not like we can choose whatever we want.Almost all the foods he listed are availiable at one point or another. Not all day everyday. I understand what to do though. I guess it’s hard to explain. It’s not like the states. We get what we get. We can’t exactly run down to the store and buy what we need to eay healthy. I will just make do with what I got and focus on making better choices from what was suggested. Thanx for the help.