Help Learning Olympic Lifts - Phoenix, AZ

Former lurker here had to finally sign up so I could get some help from you guys. I’m at a point where I think I could really benefit from using some olympic lifts, but as of now I can’t find a place in my city to learn them. Any help is appreciated.

[quote]WoodyAZ wrote:
I’m at a point where I think I could really benefit from using some olympic lifts [/quote]

Why?

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]WoodyAZ wrote:
I’m at a point where I think I could really benefit from using some olympic lifts [/quote]

Why?[/quote]

What do you feel they will add to your training. I’m not saying your wrong, but it’s always worth hearing the logic.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]WoodyAZ wrote:

Why?[/quote]

What do you feel they will add to your training. I’m not saying your wrong, but it’s always worth hearing the logic.[/quote]

Are you asking me?

Went to school to play basketball, my high school coach never put emphasis into weight training. I probably spent less than 10 hours my whole highschool career in the weight room and in that time I learned absolutley nothing, I relied on my natural ability to get me to the next level.

When I got to college I had to face the reality of competing against real ATHLETES who spent their time in highschool in the weightroom as well as the hardwood. Tore an ACL one thing led to another and now I’m back home working a 9 -5. Always wanted to finally be the athlete I should have so I spent the last few years learning the iron game (wasted a year doing magazine article workouts, bb.com programs, finally found my way to T-Nation and Wendler 5/3/1).

basically want to learn the snatch and clean and jerk to build explosiveness and speed and generally just to expand my knowledge on weightlifting.

Since your objective is to develope explosiveness, variations such as snatch/ clean high pulls from the hang would be better if you can’t find a coach in your area.

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]dt79 wrote:

[quote]WoodyAZ wrote:

Why?[/quote]

What do you feel they will add to your training. I’m not saying your wrong, but it’s always worth hearing the logic.[/quote]

Are you asking me?[/quote]

Nope, I forgot to delete your quote from the outside. It was a shortcut that backfired.

[quote]dt79 wrote:
Since your objective is to develope explosiveness, variations such as snatch/ clean high pulls from the hang would be better if you can’t find a coach in your area.[/quote]

^^ This

If you don’t plan to compete in Olympic lifting, you don’t need be dedicating a lot of time to learning anything more complex than power clean/snatch and variations. Don’t discount jumps and the like for developing explosiveness as well. Not everything has to be done with a barbell.

this might sound like stupid and reckless advice, but i learned oly lifts from just analyzing videos on youtube again and again and again. you’d be amazed on how much stuff with regards to demonstration you can find online :stuck_out_tongue: i’m 5’8 140-145lbs but my personal bests on stuff like the push press is 150lbs, power clean and split jerk is 200lbs (down to 190 now tho), but i never took the time to study the snatch, it scares the crap out of me :stuck_out_tongue: not exactly elite level yet, but at least i can do over my bodyweight which puts you at a decent-ish level with regards to oly lifting.

but my suggestion is to build a solid strength base on exercises like the squat, deadlift and ohp. because the basic logic is you need to have a strong strength base first before you can have a decent explosive crossover (the oly lifts). also, as some of the guys posted above, there first has to be logic as to why you want to train in the oly lifts.

Having spent a bit of time in a weightlifting club, I do not recommend learning off YouTube - at least not unless you can get feedback on your own form pretty regularly. Guys who have 5 years lifting with a coach by their side still need feedback. The YouTube guys end up spending 3 months unlearning bad habits.

actually yeah i agree with tsantos, it’s a pretty bad idea if you’re only starting oly lifts. i actually injured my wrist during a power clean attempt when i was starting (DRUJ injury, had to wear a pretty annoying cast for 3 weeks + the rehab). you really have to have someone like a coach or someone who is well versed in the olympic lifts check your form. coz just a few degrees in form deviation can screw you up. i still went back at oly lifting after the injury tho but i took precautions by using straps, etc and trained with a friend who was seasoned with oly lifts. best of luck!