T Nation

Help Interpreting Results

Hey, i just got my blood tests back and while everything came up within the normal range, i can't help but feel a little worried. A little background- I'm a 17 year old male with puffy nipple gyno, fairly low body fat, and practically no facial/chest hair, very little armpit hair and what i think to be normal amounts of pubic hair. I tried to interpret my own results by looking at other threads but they all seem to be in different units (I'm British). The test was taken fairly early in the morning, if that makes a difference.

Serum testosterone = 8.5 nmol/L
Reference Range: Male 8.4-28.7 nmol/l
Female 0.5-2.6 nmol/L

I find this extremely worrying, as although it barely scrapes the "normal range", shouldn't a 17 year old going through puberty be right at the peak of the scale instead of barely being above the lowest value?

Serum free T4 level = 13.9 pmol/L
Serum TSH level= 2.66 mu/L

Serum Globulin= 28g/L
Serum total protein= 74g/L
Serume gamma-glutamyl rransferase level =14 u/L Low
Serume total bilirubin level = <2

Alt/SGPT serume level= 40 u/L
serume alkaline phosphatase= 127 u/L
Serum albumin = 46 g/L
Serum oestradiol level = 61 pmil/L

Male reference level: 43-151

Cheers again. Sorry if some of these tests are completely irrelevant, i had no idea what tests to ask for when i went to the doctor as i had not discovered this excellent forum.

can you post the reference ranges next to the test results? Most here are not use to nmol/L measurements.

what symptoms do you have?

what is your body temperature at wake up, at noon, and at 8pm? Is it consistent day after day?

You are in the NHS, right? Your TSH is high and you need more tests and possible treatment for that, but I doubt you can get any help through the NHS since you are "in range".

it does seem like you have low T, but you need to get results for LH and FSH to determine if it is because of your pituitary (secondary) or your testicles (primary).

High LH/FSH = primary
Low LH/FSH = secondary

All the information i got with regards to reference range/units was in the post other than TSH range.

Euthyroid=TSH 0.35-5.50 mU/L
TSH<0.05 mU/L with high a high FT4 and FT3 is consistent with hyperthroidism.
TSH >5.50 mU/L with a low/borderline low/normal FT4 is consistent with hypothyroidism.

The odd thing is i don't have some symptoms associated with abnormal hormone levels and yet have several others. For example I have a fairly normal bodyweight and temperature is fairly consistent, with a deep voice, and yet as i said have very little body hair, which is highly inconsistent with my dad/older brother who are both exceptionally hairy and while im not certain if i'm just imagining this, i do seem to have mood swings and mental fogginess etc. I'm going to make another doctors appointment to discuss the results with him.

lab ranges include something like 95% of the population including sick and dying people. Lab range do not = ideal ranges.

based on ideal ranges then:
TSH miu/L > 1 = possible thyroid issues
TSH miu/L > 2 = thyroid issues
TSH miu/L > 3 = serious thyroid issues

not sure what mu/L is, but I think it is the same as miu/L.

and we are only barely scratching the surface and not talking about Free T3 (which is more important that Free T4), or Cortisol, or Reverse T3, or Ferritin/Iron, or Vitamin D25OH, or pregnenolone, or DHEA-S, or Aldosterone, etc. etc. etc.

Just googled both of them, looks like it is the same. (mu/L and mui/L)

In order to properly assess the thyroid you need more indept testing
free t3
free t4
total t4
total t3
reverse t3
vitamin D 25 oh
iodine urinary spot or 24 hour load and urine

In clincal practice with TSH >1.5 this could be a read flag for potential thyroid or peripheral thyroid resistance.

You also need to examine the adrenals in order for the thyroid to be usable by the body at the tissue level.
You should also check testosterone, shbg, e2, progesterone, dht, prolactin, and other standard parameters. I see so many guys in our practice coming in to us with underactive thyroid which traditional medicine does not recongnize and does not treat because they are in the range. Truth be known that the ranges are derived from the average 18-90 years which majority of them are ill to begin with resulting in altered testing scale.