T Nation

Help Interpret Hormone Lab Panel

Hello,
I am a 25yo male and have recently suspected I may have low T and wanted to be sure. I have been exercising and lifting weights consistently for the past 6 years and have always had difficulty with my body composition and fat loss, I can’t seem to get below 14% or 15%. I ordered the Male Hormonal Panel through Life Extension and here are the results from Lab Corps.

25yo M, 6’1", 211 lbs, approx 14%-15% BF (based on last dexa-scan)

Test taken at 2pm, 4 hours after eating (as recommended by Life Extension to get a more accurate results of daily normal levels)

Total Test: 283 ng/dL (264-916)

Free Test: 9.7 pg/mL (9.3-26.5)

Pregnenolone, MS: 59 ng/dL (<159)

T4,Free: 1.27 ng/dL (0.82-1.77)

DHEA-Sulfate: 295.3 ug/dL (138.5-475.2)

Cortisol: 5.5 ug/dL

TSH: 1.140 uIU/mL (0.450-4.50)

Estradiol: 12.7 pg/mL (7.6-42.6)

Triiodothryonine, Free, SerumL 2.6 pg/mL (2.0-4.4)

SHBG, Serum: 33.1 nmol/L (16.5-55.9)

I’seeing low numbers and am scheduling a consultation,

but can anyone here offer some insight so I have an idea ofUpdate:

UPDATE Starting HCG Monotherapy

The day after the original post, I went in for a diagnostic and had another blood test (not as in depth).

Total Test: 427 (NG/DL)
Free Test: 8.7
SHBG: 30.4 (NMOL/L)

Prolactin: 15.4 (NG/ML)
FSH: 2.4 (IU/L)
LH: 6.7 (IU/L)

Total test was higher, but my free test was lower. This blood test was taken fasted approximately 45 minutes after waking up.

Provider decided on HCG Monotherapy with my first dose this morning (1,000 IUs?, 3x a week)

Anyone else that has done HCG Monotherapy, what can I expect in terms of effectiveness, quickness of initial onset, and what changes should I expect. Thanks! what to ask about and make sure I won’t get BS’d. thanks!

Well that’s funny, accurate levels are taken as soon as possible after waking up. Most people would be low or on the low end of normal afternoon based on waking up at 6am after a full rest. I cant be sure of the data considering the timing. Also for a “full hormone panel” not including LH and FSH is odd, how else are you to know if you are primary or secondary if you are hypogonadic? For the estrasol, was the test sensitive or standard? Sensitive is required for everyone who is not a women inside of reproductive years.

Sometimes when test is low E2 is also low, most clueless doctors would take a look at your test numbers and claim your fine without considering your age. You have the hormones of 100 yo man. You should always get blood drawn early morning, midday your levels are already dropping. If it weren’t for your young age most docs and insurance companies would have you retested do to the blood being drawn midday. At your age you should be in the 800 ranges, TSH and SHBG are perfect. SHBG will come down some after starting TRT which is to be expected. Thyroid labs aren’t complete, missing fT3 and rT3.T4 is converted to fT3 and sometimes fT3 can be blocked by rT3. fT3 and free testosterone are the active hormones that go to work for you and make you feel good.

Update:

The day after the original post, I went in for a diagnostic and had another blood test (not as in depth).

Total Test: 427 (NG/DL)
Free Test: 8.7
SHBG: 30.4 (NMOL/L)

Prolactin: 15.4 (NG/ML)
FSH: 2.4 (IU/L)
LH: 6.7 (IU/L)

Total test was higher, but my free test was lower. This blood test was taken fasted approximately 45 minutes after waking up.

Provider decided on HCG Monotherapy with my first dose this morning (1,000 IUs?, 3x a week)

Anyone else that has done HCG Monotherapy, what can I expect in terms of effectiveness, quickness of initial onset, and what changes should I expect. Thanks!

You will need to re-take the test at 9-10 am for the best accurate results because thats when test is at its highest peak, if you take this to a doctor they will tell you to do another test, they wont prescribe you TRT because you are within range.

EDIT: just saw your second update, your test levels are fine, they are low but still within range… no doctor will help, I have seen men frustrated that they wont prescribe TRT with 230 ng/dl… and that is already at low range…

like i said above, do the test again early morning for best results if you are still not satisfied with what your provider did.

Just because you’re within range doesn’t mean you are alright, your E2 is too low and low E2 over time can be dangerous for your bones and joint health! Your E2 needs to be above 20 to be in the clear.

I work a late shift schedule, so 2pm is “morning” for me. I got prescribed HCG this morning and had my first shot. Now Im just looking as to what to expect and when (timeline of effects)

HCG only lasts 24-36 hours, its mostly used to kick start your balls to produce more test

250iu hCG subq EOD is a good LH replacement dose. High doses risk creating high T–>E2 inside the testes causing high serum E2 levels which then cannot be controlled with anastrozole as it is not effective inside the testes. 3000iu/week is simply wrong and a typical doctor mistake.

Cortisol drops after morning. “AM Corisol” done at 8AM or one hour after waking up is the gold standard.

Prolactin=15.4 is meaningless without a lab range which varies by lab company. The male lab range for Labcorp is “• Male: 4.0−15.2 ng/mL”

So you may have a prolactin secreting pituitary adinoma. But LH=6.7 seems a bit contradictory. So a repeat prolactin lab is needed. And as orgasm or hugging {babies, puppies or kittens} can increase prolactin, avoid for a few days.

fT4 is good at mid-range
fT3 is below mid-range suggesting impaired T4–>T3 conversion.
fT3 is the only active thyroid hormone
Expect that when you check oral body temperatures as suggested later, your body temps will be low.

No?
CBC
AST/ALT
glucose
cholesterol

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.

I can be a bit abrupt in my replies and recommendations. I have a lot of ground to cover as this forum has become much more active in the last two years. I can’t follow threads that go deep over time. You need to respond to all of my points and requests as soon as possible before you fall off of my radar. The worse problems are guys who ignore issues re thyroid, body temperatures, history of iodized salt. Please do not piss people off saying that lab results are normal, we need lab number and ranges.

The value that you get out of this process and forum depends on your effort and performance. The bulk of your learning is reading/studying the suggested stickies.