Help in Gaining Vertical

Hi all,

I’ve just recently started hitting the gym, concentrating on leg exercises to help me jump higher. I’m still new to squats, and I usually just work my way up to ~140 lbs at 6 reps each for around 4 sets. I also started doing jump squats with 50 lbs. I then just work my way towards weighted lunges, step ups and kettle bells.

Although it’s only been about a month of training, I mentally don’t feel that I’ve gained any vertical progress at all. My standing vertical has also remained unchanged. Though I do feel that I have more power in my legs when I play sports like badminton and such.

I was wondering if you guys could help me build a more suitable workout routine/program to help me increase my vertical. My standing vertical right now is a lousy ~20"

I’m 5’6 and weigh around ~157 lbs.

From your name, and lack of knowledge I’m guessing you train parkour?

How long have you trained? I’d stop thinking of a jump for a while and get stronger. Much stronger. Then start doing power exercises and plyometrics.

I’m 5’6 and only 120-125lbs and I squat 260lbs for a 1 rep max. I usually keep the weight at around 200lbs though. Trying to lift heavier and put on a little weight.

Also I’ve trained parkour for coming up to 5 years.

Hi there,

I’ve just started training a little over a month. Today, I was able to squat two plates - not bad considering I was barely able to squat the bar when I first started!

But anyways, I’ve gained 0 progress on my vertical so far. I’m also constantly bombarded with so much variation of information on the internet on what to do and what not to do, neither do I know whether something is helping me or not, argh!

How long should I wait before I expect to see any results? Are there any particular exercises I should concentrate on?

I didn’t start feeling like I was getting any higher in the air till I actually practiced jumping. Much like, “You need to lift heavy to get strong” it sounds obvious but can be overlooked. Anyway after I incorporated box jumps and rim touches(proper name?) and such I began to see an increase in my vertical.

Still your definitely on the right track with heavy squatting. Juxtaposing the nervous system aspect strengthened in specifically training jumping, the power aspect to actually lift off the ground can be trained by heavy squats.

[quote]pk_volt wrote:
Hi there,

I’ve just started training a little over a month. Today, I was able to squat two plates - not bad considering I was barely able to squat the bar when I first started!

But anyways, I’ve gained 0 progress on my vertical so far. I’m also constantly bombarded with so much variation of information on the internet on what to do and what not to do, neither do I know whether something is helping me or not, argh!

How long should I wait before I expect to see any results? Are there any particular exercises I should concentrate on?[/quote]

defrancostraining.com/articles/38-articles/53
-top-15-exercises-for-higher-vertical-jumps.html
That should help.

here is an excellent book that covers the basics of vertical jump training, includes a solid program, and simple templates for you to design your own programs

http://evolutionaryathletics.com/vjp/

What’s this exercise called?

I want to mix this into my training. Will it benefit me? How many sets/reps should I do?

Its called a hang clean. Look for a video to teach you how to do the lift.
I don’t know about reps/sets though, You should look in the O-Lifting forum for info on the hang clean.

[quote]pk_volt wrote:

I want to mix this into my training. Will it benefit me? How many sets/reps should I do?[/quote]

Hang clean, but please don’t mimick that form.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]pk_volt wrote:

I want to mix this into my training. Will it benefit me? How many sets/reps should I do?[/quote]

Hang clean, but please don’t mimick that form.[/quote]

True, True…

One reason why the Olympics drive me nuts…

You’re probably not going to see any gain in vertical jump in just a month. If it were that easy, everyone would have a 40" vert. People work on this stuff for years looking for progress. Keep increasing your strength and then move on to jump work and then to weighted explosives movements and potentially Olympic lifts. Nothing’s going to happen overnight.

[quote]squattin600 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]pk_volt wrote:

Hang clean, but please don’t mimick that form.[/quote]

True, True…

One reason why the Olympics drive me nuts…
[/quote]

I personally love 'em, but this kid in the vid has NO business doing them. And his coach sure as shit shouldn’t be posting that vid on youtube.