T Nation

Help! Impossible to Gain Weight

I’m 5’6 130 pounds. Incredibly skinny. I’ve got little definiton but thats just because I’m so damn skinny that obivously my muscles are going to show.

I’ve recently started working out while trying to adjust my diet in order to gain weight. Prior to that I ate Pizza Hut every night for over a month and stayed the exact same weight. Since I started working out, while I’m awake I try to eat full meals every two hours. Plus several True-Mass+ Creatine Shakes a day. After doing this for about a week to a week and a half I had lost three pounds. Now I’m on the same path but I added higher calorie, higer carb foods. I’m currently deployed to Iraq and our food choices aren’t exactly excellent.

I figure if I get a dirty bulk I can turn that into muscle. Does anybody have suggestions, or have you been in a similar situation and how did you over come a crazy metabolism???

Increase your dietary fats. Get lots of olive oil, coconut oil, fish oil, etc.

Also make sure you get 2 grams of protein per lb of body weight, and try to eat a massive breakfast too.

Squats and milk. But honestly whole milk is your friend, good cheap way to get in a lot of extra calories.

How many calories do you eat in a day right now? Take that, and force yourself to eat at least 500 more. Repeat until you start gaining weight. Don’t care what foods you use to get the cals in, as long as you get 150 g of protein per day. If you can get some of the healthy food suggested in, great, but don’t restrict your intake to clean food only if you’re having trouble getting enough cals in.

I was 5’6", 126 lbs when I started training.

I’m like 190 now, and still decently lean. PM me and I will send you the info you need. Don’t have time right now, but will writ it out for you tonight.

Hot Pockets+Milk+squatting.
Now there’s a recipe for success.

How many calories are you taking in now? Add 500-1000 calories per day to that and you will gain weight.

milk and steroids-

no but seriously just try to get a calorie surplus about a thousand more than you burn will do fine. I’ve been putting on weight consistently after listening to these guys.

We need to see what your current diet is. Can you please type up a list of your meals the past few days, including time they were eaten?

I realize you’re not in an ideal spot, with being deployed and all, but it’s possible that you can fix things up better.

In the meantime, more healthy fats, more protein, more anything you can get your hands on.

How do you train? Do you follow any programm endorsed on this site?

I’m in Iraq too. At the chow halls here we have Olive Oil on all the tables. Pour that shit on! I eat my carrots and broccoli drenched with blue cheese dressing and olive oil. LOAD 'EM UP! Not very filling either.

Cram all your food in really fast like basic training and you’ll get more in. I sit down, scarf food down ASAP, then snack on veggies while scanning the chow hall for some Bravo Mike…

Try to focus on eating 1.5-2x your body weight in grams of Protein. I had a similar body type when I first started training, so you need alot of calories: preferably another 1K to 2K on top of what you already consume.

Remember, consistency is key.

meal1: 6 eggs, 2 cups oatmeal.

meal2: Protein shake, add in cottage cheese, peanut butter, honey or whatever.

meal3: 12oz (weigh it out) lean meat, 10oz potatoes/pasta etc. (weigh it out), 1 cup veg

meal4: same as meal 2

meal5: 12oz (weigh it out) lean meat, 10oz potatoes/pasta etc. (weigh it out), 1 cup veg

Meal6: 8-10oz (weigh it out) lean meat, 5oz potatoes/pasta, 1 cup veg

Meal6: same as meal 2

Eat that of a day, then tell me it’s impossible to gain weight.

I will start tracking my meals today and let you guys know what I got in like a day or two. Thanks for all of the advise so far.

Heavy consistent training + a heavy bulking diet= weight gain. Make friends with the owners of Chinese buffets. Make weekly buffet trips. Have a 10,000kcal meal challenge with your buddies.

WHOLE MILK.

Last year I was 5’9 150, skinny like you. I try and drink 3 gallons of whole milk a week and with just the milk my weight increases drastically.

Go to truprotein.com and get a bag of 25lbs of protein and eat about 250grams a day. Eat a fat ass breakfast: 6-7 eggs with cheese, ham, onions; cup of oats, 2 peices of whole wheat toast, and 24oz of whole milk with 72g protein. try to eat ever 3 hours after that

If you are having trouble with being too full, try the following.

-Drink Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
-Eat Natty Peanut Butter.

Each Tbsp of each adds over 100 cals. It really is that simple, just eat. If you have trouble, then you need to eat more calorie dense foods, such as the two suggested above.

[quote]jared530 wrote:
WHOLE MILK.

Last year I was 5’9 150, skinny like you. I try and drink 3 gallons of whole milk a week and with just the milk my weight increases drastically. Go to truprotein.com and get a bag of 25lbs of protein and eat about 250grams a day.

Eat a fat ass breakfast: 6-7 eggs with cheese, ham, onions; cup of oats, 2 peices of whole wheat toast, and 24oz of whole milk with 72g protein. try to eat ever 3 hours after that[/quote]

oh MAN that sounds so good… lol
What would you recommend for somebody who has a lot of food allergies? I am allergic to eggs. My tongue swells up if I ingest it… one time… i went egging with some friends… a few minutes later i was scratching my face and then my eye starts to swell up… thats how bad it is.

I try to stay away from wheat because my face gets really red in certain spots because of my eczema. I also try to stay away from dairy as much as i can because I was never allowed to have it when I was younger… when I first started taking whey i had hives on my body.

not the case now but still… i’d rather not have it because it could build up in my system and end badly… i could be lactose intolerant but who knows…

[quote]RMorrison wrote:
If you are having trouble with being too full, try the following.

-Drink Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
-Eat Natty Peanut Butter.

Each Tbsp of each adds over 100 cals. It really is that simple, just eat. If you have trouble, then you need to eat more calorie dense foods, such as the two suggested above. [/quote]

Yeah I definetly fill up pretty fast. Faster than then the normal person my size. I usually try to snack on peanut butter as often as I can.

Have you talked about this with your doctor? Because if you can’t even gain weight with daily infusions of Pizza Hut you might have a medical issue. Do yourself a favor and get checked out before you spend a lot of time and money on different bulking methods.