T Nation

Help, I'm Skinny and Want Muscle

hi first sry for bad english
im 17 and 179cm height and 59kg and i want to gain muscle and gain weight fast …
i went to gym and get a exercise plan from the Coach and did it for about 1 month 3 day a week
but nothing changed(nothing) no weight gaining no muscle the only thing happend was i found myself weaker :frowning:

plz if u can help me plz tell me a good exercise plan and a good food plan(6 meals a day) and a complete help what to do? i dont think the Coach have Experience in my kind i mean skinny guys or hardgainer.

ty alot

Read the stickies (the first 4 posts at the top of the forum).

Hard gainers are such a rarity that they hardly even exist. There’s mostly just undereaters, and sleepers. What is your exact diet the past few days, and the program you were given?

1. Gains take more than month stick with it
  2. EAT
    3.SLEEP
    4.REPEAT

Hey man you are gonna have to eat, and often! Drink protein with milk three to four times a day, and eat everything. Get on a strength gaining workout routine as in a powerlifting routine.

The only people who should be giving advice on how to gain weight are the people who weigh 225+…and i’m out

[quote]chobbs wrote:
The only people who should be giving advice on how to gain weight are the people who weigh 225+…and i’m out[/quote]

Why? Some people don’t want to weigh 225, but know how to get there. Others can get there without much problem (being fat is easy for lots of people), but can’t necessarily help someone for whom it doesn’t come naturally. And 225 is very different for someone who is 5’6" vs. someone who is 6’6".

To the OP: it does take time to see big results. However, without knowing your program, diet, sleeping habits, etc. one thing is clear: you need to eat more. If you are trying to gain weight and haven’t this month, you aren’t eating enough. There may be other problems as well such as not sleeping enough, working out too much or incorrectly, or eating the wrong foods.

[quote]moon_warden wrote:
i want to gain muscle and gain weight fast …

[/quote]

Here’s your first problem. You need to be realistic. Building muscle takes years, not months. Gaining weight is easy enough. Just stuff your face with dense calorie laden food, but that won’t make it muscle. Take some time to read some more. There’s plenty of info on this site. Think about where you’d like to be weight/size/condition wise and how long you’re willing to work at achieving it(once again years). There’s only so much muscle you can put on in a year/month/week. Fast is not an option! Diet is a key factor. So get to reading!

Well I’m sitting right at 218lbs and considering I’m only 5’7" ( on a good day ) ill lend some help.

1. Atleast 1g pro per pound. I eat 4 times aday and get 80g with each meal. Eggs, Ground Beef, and Chicken. Milk, Hard Cheese, and Greek Yogurt are all great options and are cheap.

2. Good complex carbs at each meal. I take in between 120-180 per meal. Lot’s of Whole Grain Bagels and Pasta.

3. You don’t need protein powder 3 or 4 times a day. Unless you work some crazy job where breaks aren’t allowed. That just gets ducking expensive.

4. Eat a good meal in the hour after you train.

5. Something high protein and moderate fat before bed. Cottage cheese and or peanut butter is great.

6.Get as much good quality sleep that you can shoot for at a minimum of 7 hours. If you can’t get it all at one time then nap.

1. Start a good well thought out program geared toward complex movements and heavy weight. I don’t know per say if your looking to compete but there a dozens of great programs for a beginner such as starting strength just to just name one. Follow the routine for 6 months learn to Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and The Overhead Press and you will be fine. Good luck.

[quote]Silyak wrote:

[quote]chobbs wrote:
The only people who should be giving advice on how to gain weight are the people who weigh 225+…and i’m out[/quote]

Why? Some people don’t want to weigh 225, but know how to get there. Others can get there without much problem (being fat is easy for lots of people), but can’t necessarily help someone for whom it doesn’t come naturally. And 225 is very different for someone who is 5’6" vs. someone who is 6’6".

To the OP: it does take time to see big results. However, without knowing your program, diet, sleeping habits, etc. one thing is clear: you need to eat more. If you are trying to gain weight and haven’t this month, you aren’t eating enough. There may be other problems as well such as not sleeping enough, working out too much or incorrectly, or eating the wrong foods. [/quote]
How do they know how to get there, if they’ve never been there before?

[quote]Reed wrote:
Well I’m sitting right at 218lbs and considering I’m only 5’7" ( on a good day ) ill lend some help.

1. Atleast 1g pro per pound. I eat 4 times aday and get 80g with each meal. Eggs, Ground Beef, and Chicken. Milk, Hard Cheese, and Greek Yogurt are all great options and are cheap.

2. Good complex carbs at each meal. I take in between 120-180 per meal. Lot’s of Whole Grain Bagels and Pasta.

3. You don’t need protein powder 3 or 4 times a day. Unless you work some crazy job where breaks aren’t allowed. That just gets ducking expensive.

5. Something high protein and moderate fat before bed. Cottage cheese and or peanut butter is great.

6.Get as much good quality sleep that you can shoot for at a minimum of 7 hours. If you can’t get it all at one time then nap.

1. Start a good well thought out program geared toward complex movements and heavy weight. I don’t know per say if your looking to compete but there a dozens of great programs for a beginner such as starting strength just to just name one. Follow the routine for 6 months learn to Squat, Bench, Deadlift, and The Overhead Press and you will be fine. Good luck.

[/quote]
I didn’t mean to call you out, I’d say 218 at 5’7" will do perfectly fine lol

Lol you didn’t I just thought was funny no harm done.

[quote]chobbs wrote:

says the 6’5 ham.

OP is 5’10" and 130 pounds. Just stop being anorexic, that should get u to at least 160

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Bummer. Me, The Mighty Stu, Zraw, Nate Miyaki, and Lonnie Lowery gotta keep our mouths shut. Or actually, keep our mouths open, stuff some food in it, bulk up more, and then get back to giving advice.

Definitely some solid advice so far.

[quote]moon_warden wrote:
i went to gym and get a exercise plan from the Coach and did it for about 1 month 3 day a week
but nothing changed(nothing) no weight gaining no muscle the only thing happend was i found myself weaker[/quote]
A - You only worked out for a month. That’s nothing. Show me 4 months of consistent training before you say “This doesn’t work.”

B - No weight gain plus getting weaker tells me that you simply weren’t eating enough. It’s an unfortunately common situation that’s a pretty straightforward fix.

What, exactly, did you eat yesterday?

Eating: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_interviews/roundtable_the_cure_for_skinny
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_nutrition/the_antiskinny_fat_manifesto
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/diet_planning_for_the_hardgainer

Training: http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_boring_but_big_3month_challenge
or http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/westside_for_skinny_bastards
or http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/blending_size_and_strength_version_20
or http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/12_programs_to_follow

Lots of options with the training because your nutrition is more important for now. Almost any program in the article archives here will be fine, just stick with a routine for months in a row, not a month before calling it quits.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[/quote]

This is overall very good advice. Also would like to add, if the OP really is a hardgainer (which I doubt), make sure the post-workout meal has plenty of complex carbs, in addition to protein. Also, 7 hours of sleep is good, but 9 hours uninterrupted is better, if possible. Hardgainers tend to have reduced recovery capability, so it’s important to maximize what you are capable of.

Damn, I’m not heavy enough to give advice :frowning:

Lol.

OP, You’ve already gotten pretty good and simple advice here. Just gonna echo that mostly…simply progressively eat more food as weeks and months go by. Try to keep 70-80% of that food from clean food sources…aka meat, grains, dairy…“real” food. For 3-4 months I drank a gallon of whole milk every day, plus food. Helped me gain 10-15 lbs during that time. I’ve drank thousands of raw eggs over the last couple years, often a dozen at a time. That also helps. Don’t be afraid to be a bit extreme and/or eccentric.