T Nation

Help Identify These Exercises...

just switched over to GVT (German volumizing training) program and ill admit I’m a litte confused how to do the following workouts…

Lean-away Chin-ups

One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows

Romanian Deadlifts

Back Squats (im assuming this is just with the bar behind the neck?)

Incline Off-Set Dumbbell Curls (i know what incline DB curls are but the off-set is throwing me off)

Thick Bar Reverse Curls (reserver curls, gotcha! thick bar… lost me… unless its just a thicker bar being used?)

Seated EZ Bar French presses (Another name for skullcrusher?)

One-Arm Elbowing Rows

Farmers Walks

Seated Zottmann Curls

Scott Bench (another name for preacher?)

thx for your help.

Google is your friend.

So is exrx.net

yep tried that, all i get is programs invloving them, and other forums agruing the difference between a chin up and pull up (at least thats what i get when i google “lean-away chin-ups”)

[quote]Disabled wrote:
just switched over to GVT (German volumizing training) program and ill admit I’m a litte confused how to do the following workouts…

Lean-away Chin-ups [/quote]Chin ups with your upper body as horizontal as possible. [quote]

One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows [/quote]IMO this is how all DB rows should be done. You don’t go straight up, you arc backwards so at the top point, the DB is level with your hip. [quote]

Romanian Deadlifts [/quote] A variant of stiff leg deadlifts. [quote]

Back Squats (im assuming this is just with the bar behind the neck?) [/quote]Yep. Basic squat. [quote]

Incline Off-Set Dumbbell Curls (i know what incline DB curls are but the off-set is throwing me off) [/quote]I have no idea. Maybe done alternating? I would just use my favourite DB exercise for these. Remember you don’t have to follow the program exactly. [quote]

Thick Bar Reverse Curls (reserver curls, gotcha! thick bar… lost me… unless its just a thicker bar being used?) [/quote]Yep. Thick bar used. If it’s not available, wrap a towel around a normal bar to make it feel thicker. [quote]

Seated EZ Bar French presses (Another name for skullcrusher?) [/quote]No. Now these should be in google. It’s from a seated position, upper arms are vertical and locked in that position. From here it is like a skullcrusher. I hate these. Great exercise if you want to stuff your elbows. [quote]

One-Arm Elbowing Rows [/quote]Dunno. Normal DB rows to the shoulder I think. [quote]

Farmers Walks [/quote]Oh c’mon. Are you kidding? You didn’t google anything did you? Work it out yourself. [quote]

Seated Zottmann Curls [/quote]Another. Are you for real? I guess these are a little more esoteric. Usually done on a preacher bench. Normal curl up. Pause, Twist DB and reverse curl down. Done so you can perform the reverse curl eccentric with a weight that you couldn’t do concentrically. [quote]

Scott Bench (another name for preacher?) [/quote]Yes. And this was the 3rd result down when I googled it to make sure. [quote]

[/quote]

You’re doing 10x10 for all 11 of those exercises? I hope not. A lot of them are for biceps. 400 reps for isolation biceps and another 200 for compound biceps…

Farmer’s Walk is quite simple. Hold two weights on your sides and walk.

I believe off-set DB curls to be curls, where you don’t hold the DB in the center.
Holding it off-set will make it lop-sided.
Not sure what the benefit would be.

TNT

Lean-away Chin-ups

Pull yourself up as normally, but the eccentric phase lean back and then lower yourself (see attached pic - its the pic in the article but if you ask me I’d call it a lean away pullup)

One-Arm Arc Dumbbell Rows
“These differ from your standard one-armed dumbbell rows by the trajectory of the weight. In this modified version, instead of bringing the dumbbell to the chest, I instruct the athlete to bring the dumbbell to the hip…Remember, though, that the elbow should come up as high “over” the hip as possible. Range of motion, particularly in this movement, is crucial.”

Incline Offset Dumbbell Curls
“Use a 30-degree incline bench and grab the dumbbells with an offset grip �?? the index finger sides should be glued to the inside plate. Start with a semi-supinated grip (neutral).”
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1068503&cr=

One-Arm Elbowing Rows
I’m not 100% positive but I believe its a one arm row with you elbow 90 degrees from your torso. Poliquin wrote that you should imagine the motion as you are trying to elbow someone behind you.

Btw if you are following a program from a particular author and don’t know the exercises look them up. I usually first look them up in google, then with some of the more exotic ones I look through previous articles from that author. More often than not they describe the exercise somewhere on T-Nation.

wow thx guys, ye i googled only first one couldn’t find it so i gave up. and im not doing the 10x10 im doing the 10x5 and for it being too many bicep workout those are the workouts of the bi’s spread in 2 different workouts, not all at once (if thats what you were thinking?). anyways i will be following the program exactly as mentioned and im hoping for some decent results.

thx again.

If you don’t know what all of those exercises are, the program is too advanced for you. Maybe pick one or two new exercises to do. Throwing in a bunch of exercises you don’t know anything about will either mean a) you’ll use too little of a load while you learn the new movements or b) you’ll injure yourself.

You are a beginner. There is no shame in this. But you must be honest with yourself.

You should do a program geared towards beginners. There are lots of good programs on this site for beginners. German Volume Training is not such a program.