Help I am VERY Skinny

T-Nation is the best site I has visited. It was 3 months ago I first visited it,although this is the first time I write. My problem is that I am very skinny weighting just 103 pounds! I am 18 years old from India.I have been skinny all my life and I don’tat all look good. I have just started bodybuilding,2 months ago and have not gained much,if any.Furthur I cannot afford to buy supplements.
I also have a question?According to John Berardi article Massive Eating{Best Article I have read}my calculations came out to be 2800 calories. Accordingly if I calculate 30% protein it comes out to be 840 calories which is more than 2 gms/lb,I am puzzled.Please help me.

If you aren’t gaining and you’ve just started, eat more! Don’t worry too much about all the macronutrient ratios now, just get lots of protein and good carbs/fats. Once you start gaining, then tweak your diet.

If 2800 calories isn’t working, try 3000, if that doesn’t work, try 3300, just keep trying.

Being from India, do you follow a religion that has specific diet rules, such as no meat, or no animal products?

I ask because the more types of protein available the easier it is to gain muscle. And the more limited, the more attention needed for your diet. Also if your source of protein is soy, it can be counter productive.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
Being from India, do you follow a religion that has specific diet rules, such as no meat, or no animal products?[/quote]

No beef.

They can and many do eat chicken, fish, pork and other stuff. Just not anything from the cows (I have Indian friends, however, many of them do eat beef in the U.S.).

Yeh.

I’m Indian as well but I eat beef here in Spain.

I believe there is more then one religion in India, and some may be more strict then others. Unfortunately I am not as familiar with the intricacies of the religions.

But just avoiding beef is different then avoiding all certain animals, which is different then avoiding all animal products. If it is just beef, no problem. If no land animals, fish becomes more important. No animals, then milk products become very important, and then if no animal products are allowed at all, then there might have to be a reliance on soy, regardless of it’s negative properties, and choosing the best sources with the least negative effects, and even then tempered with other plant proteins, nuts, seeds, etc…

[quote]resolveevolve wrote:
T-Nation is the best site I has visited. It was 3 months ago I first visited it,although this is the first time I write. My problem is that I am very skinny weighting just 103 pounds! I am 18 years old from India.I have been skinny all my life and I don’tat all look good. I have just started bodybuilding,2 months ago and have not gained much,if any.Furthur I cannot afford to buy supplements.
I also have a question?According to John Berardi article Massive Eating{Best Article I have read}my calculations came out to be 2800 calories. Accordingly if I calculate 30% protein it comes out to be 840 calories which is more than 2 gms/lb,I am puzzled.Please help me.[/quote]

You’re getting the calories mixed up with grams. thats 2g/lb but 4 cal per g
of protein.

I agree with not worrying too much about the ratios. The important thing is to eat some protein with every meal, eat at least 6 meals a day, eat breakfast, eat a lot after training, and eat before bed.

Train 3-4 times a week. Do no cardio. Sleep 9 hours or more.

Good luck

Thank you very much for your help. I eat eveything and I do not have any problem with meat. I am very skinny though. I am 5 feet 11 inches and I am just 103. My friends ask me to eat but when I tell them my diet plan they get astonished that I eat more than them although I am very skinny. I know that I need to eat much more. Can you suggest any way to increase my apetite? Thank you for your help.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459839

resolveevolve,

listen to what these guys tell you… they know their stuff…

I was abt 102 abt 1 yr ago… 5’6".
I’m now 117. Most of the wt gain is LBM. I know this amount of gain is pitiful to most people here, but I’m greatful for every ounce I gain.
If I can do this at 47 -48 yrs old, you can do it too, probably easier and faster.
I dont currently record what I eat in terms of % and calories, etc (I’m currently working on to retify this). All I do is just eat . Eat cleanly of course.

absolutely amazing…someone can be 5’11, weigh 100 lbs and still be alive…

perhaps you should see a doctor about your condition…

maybe you have some sort of parasite that is keeping you from gaining weight?

you’ve got to be damn near death as it is…

good luck…you’re going to need it!

DPH, I know I am very skinny and am trying to do everything I could to gain muscle. But you have given me additional motivation. I am eating 3000 calories per day. If this will not work I will increase it. I will keep you and my T-Nation friends aware of my progress. Thank you once again for writing.