Help Getting to World's

Ok, I have posed this question in the past and want to ask again. I am looking for fund raising or ideas on ways to get sponsors in order to assist my way to the IPF World Master Competition in the Czech Republic.

Here is a break down of the cost as I know them right now:

Airfare $1300.00
Hotel $ 500.00 (this is sharing a room)
Suits/Wraps $ 550.00
Entry Fee $ 150.00
Est Food $ 300.00

Estimated total $2800.00 before training, supplements, and any other expense that comes up later. So, basically I need to come up with about 3 grand to compete each and every year – just at the World’s. Sometimes more sometimes less depending on where the meet is. There is no money in Powerlifting - not that there is much in other events.

So if any one has suggestions on ways to raise funds for such events, or if you want to contribute to the cause It would be greatly appreciated!

Malinda Baum
2007 National, North American 82.5 kg Champion

Man I’d love to help get you there!!

Not sure if it would be something you’d be interested in but in the past I’ve opened my pottery website for fundraising. Any orders that come through to support you I’d give 50% (shipping excluded). I would just set it up where the buyer would have to put in some code ie. “Firebug9” in one of the instruction boxes.

I’d have to run it by the CEO first.
Hold on.
Yup, she said it’s a go if your interested :wink:

Let me know. You can pm me if you want with more details.
Ain’t much but maybe it can pay for your food :slight_smile:

c.

Another idea. Can your fire dept. put on some kind of barbecue or ziti dinner? Ours do that all the time for different causes.

(and for any idiots in the mid-west, ziti is macaroni baked in cheese and sauce :wink:

c.

[quote]c. wrote:
and for any idiots in the mid-west,
c.
[/quote]

Now that wasn’t very nice.

Yeah, what about us foreign idiots who didn’t know what ziti was?

[quote]cueball wrote:
c. wrote:
and for any idiots in the mid-west,
c.

Now that wasn’t very nice.[/quote]

On the east coast, idiot means “an astute, savvy food connoisseur who’s unaccustomed to Italian/American party food.”

Really.

Ok, so I’m mean.

c.

The NUMBER 1 thing I would suggest is get a charity. People like giving to a charity. Find one you can represent youll wear there name etc you can have raffles etc, and a % goes too them and once you get the trip covered all of it goes to them, A non profit as such.

Sell patches on you gear/suit etc etc. again then maybe getting goods from the companies as well and having raffles.

the big one though a charity. its a good cause and just good all around

Phill

can you get t-shirts made up and sell those? or a local bake sale of bbq.

Here in New Zealand a popular way to fund raise is to hire out a movie theatre with a latest release movie. You pay a set price for the hire and sell tickets for what you want, mostly with drinks and nibbles included. Here this costs about $1000 to hire and most people manage to make about $750 profit.

Sick Puppy

[quote]robo1 wrote:
can you get t-shirts made up and sell those? or a local bake sale of bbq. [/quote]

OOOOHHHH! I LOVE BAKESALES!

-S

Want to make money and get rid of all that useless stuff cluttering your attic/basement/garage/tool shed?

Have a tag sale. Get cash for your trash. Put up some signs or advertise in your local newspaper a few days ahead. Gather your unwanted treasures and arrange them on your front lawn. It may not net a ton o’ money, but it’s free and easy.

Good luck.

For what it’s worth, here’s my perspective:
Do what you love to do. The payoff is more valuable than money.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys…after I finish working these double shifts on Tuesday I will have time to plan a few things out.

Malinda

I see you’re in Texas. I’m in Austin. Why don’t you contact Austin Woman Magazine, or the local equivalent wherever you are? Female-owned businesses make up the bulk of their advertisers, so that would be a good place to start looking for sponsors. If you’re from Central Texas they may even do a story on you. Also, you can apply for grants. Google sports grants & things along that line. Also, most newspapers have fitness stories in the lifestyle section. Find out who writes most of these stories for your local paper & see if they’ll profile you. Having a local female national powerlifting champion is a big deal! Email Pamela LeBlanc at the Austin American-Stateman. If you aren’t from Central Texas she may not do a story on you, but I bet she’ll point you in the right direction. Good luck!!

[quote]Miss Parker wrote:
I see you’re in Texas. I’m in Austin. Why don’t you contact Austin Woman Magazine, or the local equivalent wherever you are? Female-owned businesses make up the bulk of their advertisers, so that would be a good place to start looking for sponsors. If you’re from Central Texas they may even do a story on you. Also, you can apply for grants. Google sports grants & things along that line. Also, most newspapers have fitness stories in the lifestyle section. Find out who writes most of these stories for your local paper & see if they’ll profile you. Having a local female national powerlifting champion is a big deal! Email Pamela LeBlanc at the Austin American-Stateman. If you aren’t from Central Texas she may not do a story on you, but I bet she’ll point you in the right direction. Good luck!! [/quote]

Thanks Miss Parker for all the helpful information. I did just have a story done on me in the Killeen paper about three weeks ago. I will drop Ms. LeBlanc an email and see if I can get the same from Austin.

Malinda