T Nation

Help Getting Past a Plateau in Gains

looking for advice and I am unsure where to post the question/topic to get the most appropriate/useful advice.

started at 145lbs and now at 185lbs in two years of training (in my shitty avatar pic i’m at 170lbs).

diet is good, I eat all the time, practically eat and shit simultaneously, i eat so much. Set my alarm clock at 3am to drink casein.

my supps are good whey, casein, glutamine, arginine, multi V, creatine, beta-alanine, flaxseed.

training: chest(M) arms/shoulders(T) legs(Th or Fri) back (Fri or Sat) (sometimes i put traps w/ back other times with shoulders) calves and abs are hit three days a week of my choice.

I do not deadlift regularly and should hit legs harder. Am i answering my own questions on gaining more. My goal is 210lbs by Autumn of 2009.

SOS!!! How do I get past the 180’s??? I’ll post pics soon but where? It’s hard to eat more, every 2-3 hrs i’m eating!

Please help I love training and know building a house brick by brick takes time, I just want to insure I’m doing all I can to grow!!!

The food amounts that took you from 145-185 is NOT necessarily going to be enough to get you up to 210.

It’s not what you want to hear but more food/calories has to go down the hatch. If you are absolutely maxed out with your appetite look into adding simple things, 2 tbsp of olive oil into 2-3 protein shakes a day, 1 tbsp of natural peanut butter after every meal, whatever.

Nutrient dense calories that aren’t going to feel like you are eating more when in fact you will have 500+ extra calories no sweat.

You can always be methodical about it and calorie count.

I have a ridiculously fast metabolism and plateau rapidly if I don’t keep forcing more calories. When you count them it’s more easy to be objective and determine how much more you need to shove down the hatch.

thanks for the advice thus far fellas as a sit eating by pre-sleep snack high protein multi grain bread w/ peanutbutter two scoops casein and whole milk (it’s like a fucking chocolate paste from hell!!!) and almonds!!!

820 cal 70-75 grams of protein grow whilst i sleep !!!

almost heaved on the casein!

also a shit load of water, i have to load the casein muck in the mouth and slug it down w/ water to avoid dying!

glutamine and arginine to boost GH while resting. does the food blunt the effects of the arginine?

take on an empty stomach…impossible.

bumped my thread from almost a year ago. well, the scale is still moving!!! 203lbs in the avatar pic, currently at 208-211lbs (Daily flux). 22lbs this year, over 65lbs total since 2006.

Thinking of doing some GVT w/ a few added isolation exercises for the next few weeks, hardening up is the goal, fluxing between Volume vs HITT style seems like a good plan for continuing gains. Opinions welcome.

Nice to hear that youve gotten past your plateau.
Threads like yours always motivate me to eat,lift and grow more!

Keep lifting :slight_smile:

Make your protein shakes with whole milk. And add flax oil. That should do :slight_smile:

Sometimes getting past a plateau involves stepping away from your training for a while. Fluff train for 6-8 weeks… just hit the gym 3 x per week for 30 mins… sometimes you need to take a step back the take two steps forward.

just a suggestion nothing more

[quote]Prisoner wrote:
Sometimes getting past a plateau involves stepping away from your training for a while. Fluff train for 6-8 weeks… just hit the gym 3 x per week for 30 mins… sometimes you need to take a step back the take two steps forward.

just a suggestion nothing more[/quote]

That long, really? You obviously know your business, but that surprised me. I take it you have done this yourself with success?

Maybe try eating right before bed instead of waking up to drink a shake

Why do should you make sure to drink protein shakes with whole milk as opposed to skim? Isnt there just more fat in whole milk but why do we want more fat?
Thanks.

[quote]kaoticz wrote:
Why do should you make sure to drink protein shakes with whole milk as opposed to skim? Isnt there just more fat in whole milk but why do we want more fat?
Thanks.
[/quote]

So we get more calories, I’m guessing ? :slight_smile:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
kaoticz wrote:
Thanks.

[/quote]

fat makes you fat though

thanks guys, i bumped this because at the time i was stuck, as i said currently 20-25lbs heavier than last year. Body composition can be challenging, weight for weight sake can and does ruin people at times. Eating calorie dense clean food is hard fucking work!!!

At 210 now i’m stronger and fuller, vascularity has diminished some, and i’m clearly not as cut as i was at 190lbs. My goal was 220-235lb range by the end of 2009 but there is a line between a bulk belly and being fat, i’m not thrilled w/ a body fat % above 15%.

Being 200+lbs in single digit BF% looks a fuck load different than being 225 at above 20% BF, the scale hypnotizes some people.

i’ll keep trucking along fellas, good lifts to you all, i’ll get to 220+ while keeping part of my HOT ABZ, at least a 3 pack (i’ve got major imbalances from TBT). jokes. i’ll keep my splits, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.

[quote]Mr.Purple wrote:
Prisoner wrote:

just a suggestion nothing more

That long, really? You obviously know your business, but that surprised me. I take it you have done this yourself with success?[/quote]

Yes, Taking time off is a regular part of my yearly training cycle. Your body cannot continue to grow indefinitely when it is subjected to stress for a long period of time, injuries accumulate, and cortisol levels in the body rise. Now if you are a natural bodybuider cortisol will kill your training off. Those who utilise anabolic help, will find they are unable to make any significant gains however may not see the size loses that natural bodybuilders will end up dealing with.

The sollution is training in cycles - growth cycle, maintainance cycle/ establishing new gains/ rest and recouperation cycle/ then recovery cycle (of lost gains) >>> followed by new growth cycle (momentum of recovery lost gains springs you forward past old plateaus.

Simply put this is my training strategy I have employed since 2005, and I put on solid new gains every year.

thanks Prisoner, could PM me if you have a chance w/ further detail as to what these cycles should look like training and nutrition wise, also length of each would be nice.

As i said i’ve made good gains but strength and growth seem a bit stagnant as of late, as i’ve mentioned i’m manipulating carbs and adding cardio because lately i feel a bit puffy and my lady has been teasing me about the bulk belly, there is a fine line between a bulk belly and getting fat. Thank you advice would be great.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
kaoticz wrote:
Thanks.

fat makes you fat though

[/quote]

You’re being irresponsible.
Every other kid reading this will believe what you just wrote.

The protein in milk is better utilized w/ fat in it as well, to address other items mentioned, i drink almost too much milk, one gallon every two days, whole milk has been one of the best supplements to my diet, i’ve added some fat but as mentioned i’m now tweaking my carbs and varying between whole and skim milk.

a hit my goal of 210lbs four months a head of my goal, now i’ll tweak things compositionally in terms of diet, evaluate which lifts/parts of training have been the best, and spend the next few months in maintaining the weight while prioritizing weaker areas.

thank you to those w/ thoughtful insights.