Help Getting Lean

See, the problem is that people are automatically assuming that he in fact eats like that everyday.

C’mon, we all know better than that. Why is everyone assuming he’s really in caloric deficit? Perhaps the problem is the stash of peanut M&M’s he has in his night stand, or eating out with his family several times a week.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
See, the problem is that people are automatically assuming that he in fact eats like that everyday.

C’mon, we all know better than that. Why is everyone assuming he’s really in caloric deficit? Perhaps the problem is the stash of peanut M&M’s he has in his night stand, or eating out with his family several times a week. [/quote]

I agree with you Jake that you’ve gotta take it with a gain of salt when people talk about how little they are eating and still not losing weight, but the amount of cardio/crossfit the guy is doing is insane…if he’s spending that much time in the gym and not losing weight while eating candy and eating out regularly, don’t you think he’d try cutting back on the junk before coming on here asking for help?

x3 on the above two statements. I was just talking to someone yesterday who says they have been doing an hour of cardio EVERYDAY for the past month with little or no results. She had no idea that drinks (fruit juice, lattes, soda, etc) had calories or were to be counted. She was drinking upwards of 1000 cals/day!! So what she thought was an 1800 cal diet was actually closer to 3000.

Most people have a very skewed view of caloric content. Was talking to another person who seemed to forget to count anything that didn’t have a label on it. So the majority of her proteins, potatoes, bananas, etc. were never counted. Again, around 1000 cals/day extra that were never counted.

I am CONVINCED that THE BEST WAY to achieve lifelong leanness and a halfway decent build is through a solid strength training program. Cardio can be added but isn’t necessary.

Building muscle=more active tissue=higher metabolism=more calories burned even while sleeping=a leaner physique

[quote]pwolves17 wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

C’mon, we all know better than that. Why is everyone assuming he’s really in caloric deficit? Perhaps the problem is the stash of peanut M&M’s he has in his night stand, or eating out with his family several times a week. [/quote]

I agree with you Jake that you’ve gotta take it with a gain of salt when people talk about how little they are eating and still not losing weight, but the amount of cardio/crossfit the guy is doing is insane…if he’s spending that much time in the gym and not losing weight while eating candy and eating out regularly, don’t you think he’d try cutting back on the junk before coming on here asking for help?[/quote]

Not always. I’ve learned through my IRL experiences that sometimes people are in denial about that stuff and truly don’t think it “counts.” It’s happened on these forums. Or they might just track what they eat for a day or two and come off as if that’s what they do everyday.

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
x3 on the above two statements. I was just talking to someone yesterday who says they have been doing an hour of cardio EVERYDAY for the past month with little or no results. She had no idea that drinks (fruit juice, lattes, soda, etc) had calories or were to be counted. She was drinking upwards of 1000 cals/day!! So what she thought was an 1800 cal diet was actually closer to 3000. Most people have a very skewed view of caloric content. Was talking to another person who seemed to forget to count anything that didn’t have a label on it. So the majority of her proteins, potatoes, bananas, etc. were never counted. Again, around 1000 cals/day extra that were never counted.

I am CONVINCED that THE BEST WAY to achieve lifelong leanness and a halfway decent build is through a solid strength training program. Cardio can be added but isn’t necessary.

Building muscle=more active tissue=higher metabolism=more calories burned even while sleeping=a leaner physique[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more … As I stated, I finally bit the bullet and started tracking macros and cals two months ago …dropped 10 pounds, strength going up or at least maintained … Cardio has = ZERO so far

Oh yeah, and can we stop with the “I eat a salad every night and can’t lose weight”. Ummm. The cheese, bacon, extra croutons and 2 cups of full fat ranch dressing MAY have something to do with it. Haha

[quote]c.m.l. wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:

[quote]The Anchor wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]ToNoAvail wrote:
I am 48 years old
[/quote]
TRT[/quote]
Good call.[/quote]

TRT is not the answer to every ‘old man’ problem. OP…if you wake up w/‘morning wood’ TRT will make little if any difference for bodycomp.
FTR…my 50th birthday is tomorrow.
[/quote]

I have morning OAK. Is this strange?[/quote]

Begin testosterone reduction therapy. It involves slow pitch softball and weekly visits to grandma.
[/quote]

I also recommend “The Notebook” with your wife or girlfriend on a bi-weekly basis.

PS DO NOT try this without a woman present, your T will just about disappear.