T Nation

Help Getting Lean

Ok, so…
I’ve been lifting using the guidelines of WS4SB3 for about 10 months now. I’ve gone from 170 ish to a bit over 200lbs. Squat has gone from about 315 to 425, and bench from 225 (maybe) to 295. I don’t know how much body fat i’m carrying, but it probably hasn’t moved much. I think I could look quite lean if I lost about 10 pounds of bf.

The only problem is I don’t know really know how to approach this. I want to keep my lifting numbers and lean mass where they are. Is it realistic to lose that amount of fat in a span of 6-8 weeks, or even less?
I’ve been doing some research on dropping the fat, and the training program I liked is “Destroying Fat” by CT. I also read his “Nutrition for Newbies” article.

Using the formula he gives, I come up with a BMR of 3200 cals. The low carb guidelines also gives me a P/F/C breakdown of 250g/200g/50g for 10% under my BMR.
After reading more of his posts on “Destroying Fat”, he gives the guidelines of 5% above BMR on strength days, 5% below on lactate days, and 15% below on off days.

All of this sounds good until I get to the P/F/C breakdown. Every day i’d be getting 250g protein while the F/C fluctuates from 210g/120g on strength days, 155g/150g on lactate, and 151g/85g on off days.

Is it possible to lose fat while having days of 120 or 150g carbs? I’m really new to dieting since the past year i’ve just been eating everything and anything, so some help is appreciated.

Bump.

[quote]Anthony50 wrote:
Is it possible to lose fat while having days of 120 or 150g carbs? I’m really new to dieting since the past year i’ve just been eating everything and anything, so some help is appreciated. [/quote]

The answer is “yes.”

In the overall picture, what’s important is your total caloric intake. To lose fat you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. From a weight-loss standpoint, it doesn’t matter whether these calories come from fats, carbs, or protein.

There are secondary reasons why you want to maintain a certain protein, fat, and carb intake, however.

[quote]HK24719 wrote:
Anthony50 wrote:
Is it possible to lose fat while having days of 120 or 150g carbs? I’m really new to dieting since the past year i’ve just been eating everything and anything, so some help is appreciated.

The answer is “yes.”

In the overall picture, what’s important is your total caloric intake. To lose fat you need to consume fewer calories than you burn. From a weight-loss standpoint, it doesn’t matter whether these calories come from fats, carbs, or protein.

There are secondary reasons why you want to maintain a certain protein, fat, and carb intake, however.[/quote]

Gosh HK, for someone who apparently doesn’t like my posts a great deal, you sure do a spot on impression of me.

In other words, I agree. Calories matter. More than “ratios”.

Okay then, that sounds good. That gives me some room to put in my Surge recovery and workout fuel. Thanks!