Help for 'Weightlifting Builds Character' Paper

Hey everyone.

I’m writing a research paper for world literature, on how weightlifting builds character, and enhances a person’s values, like work ethic, teamwork, motivation, etc.

I could write this all on my own, however the catch is that I need specific sources. I’m having touble finding internet sources on this (I suck, I know, because this should be easy.) Can anyone help me out by providing me with some internet sources on this? Thanks a lot.

Google Scholar.

Under The Bar by Dave Tate

Ironmind: Stronger Minds Stronger Bodies by Randall Strossen

(these are books)

Randall Strosen is the man. I have Super Squats.

How’s that?

http://www.gittlen.com/rollins.htm

Might be able to dig some quotes out of that, but in terms of an academic paper, might be tricky.

Google scholar? Need heard of it, I hope it brings more results for me than the regular google search. Thanks.

Muscleshark -Under the Bar is a great book and is what sparked my idea for this paper. I’ll have to check out that other book should I have the oppurtunity. Thanks.

Hankey, thanks for that article man, I’ll be using that as my first Internet source. Shame it had to be a CrossFit story though haha

Psychoshonen, I only had time to read the first few paragraphs so far, but it’s beginning great. I hope of moves in the direction of weighttraining, because then that’d be huge help (well it already is, but you know what I mean haha)

Thanks a lot everyone! Keep them coming, I’m in the notecard stage for each source and it’s coming along beautifully.

[quote]TheSolution wrote:
Hey everyone.

I’m writing a research paper for world literature, on how weightlifting builds character, and enhances a person’s values, like work ethic, teamwork, motivation, etc.

I could write this all on my own, however the catch is that I need specific sources. I’m having touble finding internet sources on this (I suck, I know, because this should be easy.) Can anyone help me out by providing me with some internet sources on this? Thanks a lot.[/quote]

I was going to suggest Under the Bar. Great book.

Hows it coming?

Silverman, Scott Charles (1998). The effects of exercise on mood and self-efficacy in emotionally disturbed adolescents. Ed.D. dissertation, Boston University, United States – Massachusetts. Retrieved May 8, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text database. (Publication No. AAT 9809114).

Norvell, Nancy, Belles, Dale. (1993). Psychological and physical benefits of circuit weight training in law enforcement personnel. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61(3), 520. Retrieved May 8, 2009, from Research Library database. (Document ID: 2755360).

Title Chapter
Lifting weights.
Year of Publication 1897
Author Scripture, E. W.
Source Scripture, E. W. (1897). The new psychology. (pp. 267-282). xxiv, 500 pp. London, England: Walter Scott Publishing Co.
Publication Type Book; Authored Book

Accession Number Peer Reviewed Journal: 2008-10541-001.
Title Psychology types of university powerlifters.
Year of Publication 2006
Language English
Author Tobacyk, Jerome J; Hilgenkamp, Kathryn D; Talton, Billy Jack; Livingston, Mary M.

Accession Number Book: 2007-04854-003.
Title Chapter
Size Matters: Connecting Subculture to Culture in Bodybuilding.
Year of Publication 2007
Author Klein, Alan.

Accession Number Peer Reviewed Journal: 2008-01112-003.
Title Examining the role of self-efficacy and three types of outcome expectation in weight training. [References].
Year of Publication 2007
Author Gao, Zan; Hannon, James C; Yi, Xiangren.

Accession Number Peer Reviewed Journal: 2007-18489-005.
Title Resistance training and older adults’ beliefs about psychological benefits: The importance of self-efficacy and social interaction. [References].
Year of Publication 2007
Author Dionigi, Rylee.
Source Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology. Vol 29(6) Dec 2007, 723-746.

Accession Number Peer Reviewed Journal: 2006-07808-004.
Title Effects of Weight Training on Quality of Life in Recent Breast Cancer Survivors: The Weight Training for Breast Cancer Survivors (WTBS) Study. [References].
Year of Publication 2006
Author Ohira, Tetsuya; Schmitz, Kathryn H; Ahmed, Rehana L; Yee, Douglas.

Accession Number Peer Reviewed Journal: 2005-05591-004.
Title The Benefits of and Barriers to Strength Training Among College-age Women. [References].
Year of Publication 2005
Author Harne, Amanda J; Bixby, Walter R.
E-Mail Address Bixby, Walter R.: walter.bixby@ttu.edu
Source Journal of Sport Behavior. Vol 28(2) Jun 2005, 151-166.

Monchusie, Petunia M. (2008). Psychological benefits of exercise in the treatment of chemical dependency. Ph.D. dissertation, University of Kansas, United States – Kansas. Retrieved May 8, 2009, from Dissertations & Theses: Full Text database. (Publication No. AAT 3311318).

Wesley D Dudgeon, Kenneth D Phillips, Christopher M Bopp, Gregory A Hand. (2004). Physiological and psychological effects of exercise interventions in HIV disease. AIDS Patient Care & STDs, 18(2), 81-98. Retrieved May 8, 2009, from Research Library database. (Document ID: 653113941).

Are we underestimating the affective benefits of exercise? An experience sampling study of university aerobics participants.
Lutz, Rafer; Lochbaum, Marc R; Carson, Tyler; Jackson, Staci; Greenwood, Mike; Byars, Allyn.
Journal of Sport Behavior. Vol 31(2) Jun 2008, 166-186.