T Nation

Help for Fighting

Conventional wisdom says don’t fight if you can help it. That said, schools are like prison: beat up the biggest, baddest bully in front of everyone, and it’ll be the last fight anybody picks with you again (till you get to high school).

My picks depend upon what you want to do.

Pure defence: Judo, old-school Karate (I’ve actually used it in fights), BJJ, Wrestling.

Pure Offensive: Muay Thai, Kenpo, boxing, Krav Maga (be careful of your instructor- hit or miss with this one), also there’s street-fighting instructors available but you better not be caught dead there.

Ultimately, you’ll want to get into Mixed Martial Arts because they will typically incorporate both defence and offense. As for sportfighting vs point-sparring, just cut through the bullshit and ask intstructor outright: how much focus do you put on street applications?

If your school has a wrestling team, join it. Wrestling teaches you lots of useful fighting skills like how to take down an opponent and control him.

You’ll also become friends with other kids who will know how to fight, thus reducing your odds of getting into one. Kids pick on weaker kids and outcasts - you’ll be neither.

[quote]BabyBuster wrote:
If your school has a wrestling team, join it. Wrestling teaches you lots of useful fighting skills like how to take down an opponent and control him.

You’ll also become friends with other kids who will know how to fight, thus reducing your odds of getting into one. Kids pick on weaker kids and outcasts - you’ll be neither.[/quote]

and the added bonus of being on the wrestling team will give you kind of “elite”.

Mate don’t worry about people preaching ‘don’t fight’, i’m sure since you’re currently inept you’ll avoid that shit if possible. But i second grappling/ jiu jitsu training, maybe boxing too. You won’t have room to kick so forget that.

Lift weights, get a stronger overall strength, including grip (check the new article) and if it starts in the yard or whatever, stay moving, watch a guy’s hands (not eyes) and get in close, bang-bang then get out. If unavoidable. T-ha said it best i think

The first step in learning how to fight is to find out if you were bred for fighting. Do you think you were bred for fighting? This makes a BIG difference.

If you don’t know, look at your parents: are they fighting all the time? If YES, then you were probably bred for fighting.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Mate don’t worry about people preaching ‘don’t fight’, i’m sure since you’re currently inept you’ll avoid that shit if possible. But i second grappling/ jiu jitsu training, maybe boxing too. You won’t have room to kick so forget that.

Lift weights, get a stronger overall strength, including grip (check the new article) and if it starts in the yard or whatever, stay moving, watch a guy’s hands (not eyes) and get in close, bang-bang then get out. If unavoidable. T-ha said it best i think[/quote]

what kind of advice is that? Watch his hands??? Are you a fighter? Dude. . . you NEVER watch his hands. In the words of 40 y/o virgin, “You got ta use your peripherals!!” Pick a spot on the chest. I like to stare at the point below collarbone.

Despite the fact that I’m a martial arts instructor I’d have to disagree with the never fight attitude, although you should avoid it as long as it doesn’t result in the situation becoming worse. The one guy who tried to push me around in first year of school for no reason got put through a window…twice…never had a problem in school again and got on well with everyone. Learn a striking martial art. I’d advise kenpo over a more flashy style like tae kwon do…bjj judo and other grappling styles are a bit risky IMHO as bullies often go around in groups. Hard to pin someone on the floor when you’ve got someone kicking you in the head.

if you don’t have many options in your area, join the wrestling team.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
The first step in learning how to fight is to find out if you were bred for fighting. Do you think you were bred for fighting? This makes a BIG difference.

If you don’t know, look at your parents: are they fighting all the time? If YES, then you were probably bred for fighting.[/quote]

My mom is Fedor and my dad is CroCop.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
smallmike wrote:
The first step in learning how to fight is to find out if you were bred for fighting. Do you think you were bred for fighting? This makes a BIG difference.

If you don’t know, look at your parents: are they fighting all the time? If YES, then you were probably bred for fighting.

My mom is Fedor and my dad is CroCop.[/quote]

fedor’s the bitch? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Z, if you disagree, tell the kid something better, so he can understand. Just trying to awaken him to the stupidity of ‘staring a guy down’.

I’m no pro fighter, but i’ve found it useful in a street situation to watch what the guy will do with his hands, then you can deflect, move away, counter etc. or just grab them, and take it down and smash his head on the ground, if that’s your thing. Bear in mind this is a teenager wanting to not get fucked up at school, not win world championships in an arena

(EDIT) I think you misunderstood me. ‘Watch his hands’ in no way means ‘look at his waist line’. Get me? OMC has good insight too.

[quote]zfolwick wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
smallmike wrote:
The first step in learning how to fight is to find out if you were bred for fighting. Do you think you were bred for fighting? This makes a BIG difference.

If you don’t know, look at your parents: are they fighting all the time? If YES, then you were probably bred for fighting.

My mom is Fedor and my dad is CroCop.

fedor’s the bitch? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

[/quote]

I thought it was funnier that way.

Take up boxing. Knowing how to throw a punch hard,fast and with accuracy will end alot of fights.

Just get a good bo-staff

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
Z, if you disagree, tell the kid something better, so he can understand. Just trying to awaken him to the stupidity of ‘staring a guy down’.

I’m no pro fighter, but i’ve found it useful in a street situation to watch what the guy will do with his hands, then you can deflect, move away, counter etc. or just grab them, and take it down and smash his head on the ground, if that’s your thing. Bear in mind this is a teenager wanting to not get fucked up at school, not win world championships in an arena

(EDIT) I think you misunderstood me. ‘Watch his hands’ in no way means ‘look at his waist line’. Get me? OMC has good insight too.[/quote]

not waist line-- fix your eyes on the collarbone/chest or chin and use your peripherals.

As for looking at people’s hands, try it both ways and find the one that works for you, but I’m just saying that conventional fighter wisdom says that it’s really hard to look at fast moving hands-- easier to see where the arms are from your peripherals and develop your fighting intuition.

I do stick fighting (kali or escrima) as well. I do that primarily to focus on reflex and coordination development. The problem is that while you’re busy telegraphing that you’re interested in his left hand, he’s saying “oh, he likes my left, here’s my right cross!”

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Just get a good bo-staff[/quote]

weapons are a bad plan. . . especially in this day in age

[quote]zfolwick wrote:
dannyrat wrote:
Z, if you disagree, tell the kid something better, so he can understand. Just trying to awaken him to the stupidity of ‘staring a guy down’.

I’m no pro fighter, but i’ve found it useful in a street situation to watch what the guy will do with his hands, then you can deflect, move away, counter etc. or just grab them, and take it down and smash his head on the ground, if that’s your thing. Bear in mind this is a teenager wanting to not get fucked up at school, not win world championships in an arena

(EDIT) I think you misunderstood me. ‘Watch his hands’ in no way means ‘look at his waist line’. Get me? OMC has good insight too.

not waist line-- fix your eyes on the collarbone/chest or chin and use your peripherals.

As for looking at people’s hands, try it both ways and find the one that works for you, but I’m just saying that conventional fighter wisdom says that it’s really hard to look at fast moving hands-- easier to see where the arms are from your peripherals and develop your fighting intuition.

I do stick fighting (kali or escrima) as well. I do that primarily to focus on reflex and coordination development. The problem is that while you’re busy telegraphing that you’re interested in his left hand, he’s saying “oh, he likes my left, here’s my right cross!”[/quote]

Agreed. Good luck to the OP

[quote]fartmonkey64 wrote:
I only go to middle school right now. Lately, there have been many fights and
I was considering taking up some sort of martial arts to protect myself, I don’t want anything for show. All I want is something to learn so I won’t end up being sent to the hospital or anything.

I was consdiering Krav Maga or Muay Thai, but I don’t think they have that in my area. What do you think I should do?[/quote]

I was you in middle school, sept 20x worse since i was acting and dancing and being all “faggy”.

Avoid the fight if possible.

If you are threatened tell someone in an official or administrative capacity. It may seem like social suicide now, but i have the scars to prove that its the best bet in the long run!

Make yourself look intimidating. Work out, learn to wrestle (a good skill if you DO get into a fight. No one ever picks on the “big” guy. (I was NOT the big guy… still am not)

If you can find training in Krav Maga that is the best bet. It’s practical, however as far as i know the Krav Maga International rules of teaching still state that a student has to be at least 18 years of age. Beyond that BJJ, Judo, Japanese Ju Jitsu (You cant know where u are going if you dont know where you have been) and even some forms of Kung Fu would benefit you.

If you do decide to study a marital art, beyond all the normal background stuff like knowing your teachers etc etc etc, my biggest bit of advice, and this may sound weird, is to watch hunter/prey documentaries. You can learn a lot from watching lions and wolves and jaguars! (The more you study a classic marital art, the more you will see why this would come in handy)

Best of luck to you! I know what its like, so just be patient and remember that these years will go by fast! And you will probably be safe!

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Just get a good bo-staff[/quote]

uummm yeah… avoid weapons…

Why not lift weights? Take up boxing if you really want to but if you have enough sense to keep your hands up and know how to throw a decent punch then put most of your time into lifting.