Help for Beginner

Hi everyone. I have a few questions about training and nutrition. I’m a 20 years old guy who was never trained good. I want to change my body but i dont know how. My weight - 220 lbs/100kg, my height - 5’10’'/180cm. I’m thinking about couple of programs from this site:

1. Strength Training: College Edition
  2. Stronglifts 5x5/ or other method on 5x5 protocol
  3. 5/3/1
    I don’t know which one of them choose. I want to look better, feel better and be strong. I know that my body looks like shit but i want to change it - i will upload photos of my physique soon. Sorry for my bad english. Can you help me?

All of your choices are real solid, as long as you buy into your diet/training 100% you will see results.

I’m Sorry for that creepy censorship but i have to do it. What i have to do? Brun fat, get a recomp?

start doing some work.

You look fine to be honest

just do some work and all these magic words like recomp will happen

Work on the big 3 lifts, Squat, bench and deadlift. They will give you the most bang for your buck. Get in the gym 3-4 times a week on set days for an hour to an hour and fifteen minutes and get the heck out. At this point, and considering your age, you’ll put on muscle.

As you know, you need to peel off some fat. The easiest way to cut back on your fats is to look at what you are eating. Add some chicken breast to your meal. That will fill you up and give you some much needed protein.

Don’t expect to turn all of this around in a month. It’s a long commitment but you have taken the first step.

[quote]chobbs wrote:
All of your choices are real solid, as long as you buy into your diet/training 100% you will see results. [/quote]

This is spot on. I personally prefer 5/3/1 but it is really your choice as long as you pick one and are consistent. How does your diet look?

Guys, thank you very much for this information for me. My diet looks like this - 160-170 grams of protein - this is 2g for one kg of lean body mass. I think 20-25% of my weight is a fat. Carbs - 300 grams, fat - 70 grams. This is all together is about 2700 calories. I want to see what will happen. I just started follow what i eat and how much i eat and i started to make changes in my nutrition.

I’m reading all this stuff about nutrition on tnation today… About training - i’m starting with 5/3/1 with teaching how to squat, deadlift and benchpress. What you guys think about this?

Jokul,

Just don’t over think it.

Everyone screams more protein, more protein but truthfully, if your not on AAS and everything else is in order, you could cut that protein in half. Without getting into this study or that study, it’s just better for you to cut it back. Your over all weight loss will be quicker.

There are some good video on squatting around here, watch them. Like I said, you will grow even if you make a few mistakes, and you will make them.

[quote]doublelung84 wrote:
As you know, you need to peel off some fat. The easiest way to cut back on your fats is to look at what you are eating. Add some chicken breast to your meal.
[/quote]
couldnt be more wrong here mate, best way to lose body fat and preserve muscle is to follow a high fat cutting diet. Just because you are eating fats doesn’t mean you are going to store fat, LMFAO.

[quote]Massthetics wrote:

As you know, you need to peel off some fat. The easiest way to cut back on your fats is to look at what you are eating. Add some chicken breast to your meal.
[/quote]
couldnt be more wrong here mate, best way to lose body fat and preserve muscle is to follow a high fat cutting diet. Just because you are eating fats doesn’t mean you are going to store fat, LMFAO.[/quote]

We’re throwing around “best way to…” a little carelessly here. There is no best way. Best is different for different people. Just because you can follow a high fat cutting diet (whatever that is) doesn’t mean it’s “best” or even advisable for most people. I would argue that it’s not.

My personal experience with “high fat cutting” was mediocre at best. I followed a paleo diet for a while in which I was on moderate carb, moderate protein, high fat. Lots of avocado, olive oil, salmon, etc. I lost 4-5 lbs then plateaued indefinitely. I did the same thing with Atkins - lost a couple lbs then plateaued.

Science is not on your side with this one, my friend. Think about it for a second…

1. What is the only type of macronutrient that can be absorbed into the blood and IMMEDIATELY stored as fat? I’ll give you a hint. The answer is in the question. I’ll revisit this in a moment.

2. You’re totally discounting the fact that fat and protein or carbs have vastly different caloric density. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Carbs and protein are each 4 calories per gram. On carbs and protein you can get fuller with fewer calories.

3. Thermic effect of food. Fat is digested almost effortlessly, with about 1-3% TEF. So you get all 9 calories per gram. Carbohydrate TEF varies depending on source, but average for “good” carbs is around 10% depending on which study you believe. So for every gram of carbs you are actually getting about 3.6 calories, instead of 4. Protein has the highest TEF of all at about 30%, which means that every gram of protein scores you only about 2.8 calories per gram. While fat still sits at a whopping 9. Nine. You tell me which is more filling, a whole chicken breast or a spoonful of olive oil.

4. Back to #1. Fat can be eaten and stored directly as fat, do not pass go, do not collect $200. If there are extra fatty acids in your blood your body WILL store them in fat cells. This isn’t really up for debate. Carbohydrate cannot do this. In order to be stored as fat it must undergo de novo lipogenesis, which is a very inefficient process, where even more calories are lost, before it can be stored as fat. Protein is nearly impossible to be stored as fat, because it must first undergo the inefficient process of gluconeogenesis to have a portion of it converted to glucose before that glucose can then undergo the even more inefficient process of de novo lipogenesis. Then, and only then, can it contribute to fat storage. Meanwhile fat gets a free pass to the front of the line.

5. Protein has more effect on satiety. It keeps you feeling fuller, longer. Again, one of those scientifically demonstrated phenomenon that isn’t really up for debate. Fat is better than carbs for hunger, but protein is king.

6. Animal protein increases IGF-1 expression, which positively effects fat loss.

7. Protein and carbohydrate both can contribute directly to building muscle, which in turn increases basal metabolic rate, or “metabolism.” Muscle is your friend, and muscle cannot be constructed out of fat.

Guys, I did not know that 5/3/1 is a program for 4 days - I did not pay attention to it. I train at the gym only 3 times a week. I found the 3 day version written by Jim, it looks like this:

Monday
Squat - 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload precentage)
Deadlift - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Bench - 3 sets of 8-20 reps

Wednesday
Squat -3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload precentage)
Bench press - 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Row - 3 sets or do Kroc Rows

Friday
Squat - 5/3/1 sets and reps
Press - 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)
Chins or T-Bar Rows â?? 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.

What about this?

That looks great

Can you tell me how to progres when i don’t know my max attempts?

Attempt maxes. Or pick a weight you know you can lift and go for a rep max. Then google “1RM calculator” and plug in your numbers to get approximate maxes.

[/quote]
couldnt be more wrong here mate, best way to lose body fat and preserve muscle is to follow a high fat cutting diet. Just because you are eating fats doesn’t mean you are going to store fat, LMFAO.[/quote]

Re read. Since comprehension is not your strong suits, you are now sounding like an idiot.

PS: He didn’t say to cut the fats that he is eating.

[/quote]

Ok, I normally handle differences of opinions in a intelligent diplomatic manner but JUGGS just did that for me. And that will help the OP with his understand of weight loss.

Now for you my 15 year old Aussie. You don’t know jack shit about dieting. You eat what the hell your Momma puts on the plate in front of you. How the hell can you tell anyone how to builds muscle at 15 years old when you haven’t done it yourself?

And drop the LMFAO there Mr. hashtag; when you get a real squat and have an ass to laugh off, let me know.

Here’s my advice to you; sit down, shut your mouth and learn something.

[quote]Juggs wrote:

[/quote]

We’re throwing around “best way to…” a little carelessly here. There is no best way. Best is different for different people. Just because you can follow a high fat cutting diet (whatever that is) doesn’t mean it’s “best” or even advisable for most people. I would argue that it’s not.

My personal experience with “high fat cutting” was mediocre at best. I followed a paleo diet for a while in which I was on moderate carb, moderate protein, high fat. Lots of avocado, olive oil, salmon, etc. I lost 4-5 lbs then plateaued indefinitely. I did the same thing with Atkins - lost a couple lbs then plateaued.

Science is not on your side with this one, my friend. Think about it for a second…

1. What is the only type of macronutrient that can be absorbed into the blood and IMMEDIATELY stored as fat? I’ll give you a hint. The answer is in the question. I’ll revisit this in a moment.

2. You’re totally discounting the fact that fat and protein or carbs have vastly different caloric density. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Carbs and protein are each 4 calories per gram. On carbs and protein you can get fuller with fewer calories.

3. Thermic effect of food. Fat is digested almost effortlessly, with about 1-3% TEF. So you get all 9 calories per gram. Carbohydrate TEF varies depending on source, but average for “good” carbs is around 10% depending on which study you believe. So for every gram of carbs you are actually getting about 3.6 calories, instead of 4. Protein has the highest TEF of all at about 30%, which means that every gram of protein scores you only about 2.8 calories per gram. While fat still sits at a whopping 9. Nine. You tell me which is more filling, a whole chicken breast or a spoonful of olive oil.

4. Back to #1. Fat can be eaten and stored directly as fat, do not pass go, do not collect $200. If there are extra fatty acids in your blood your body WILL store them in fat cells. This isn’t really up for debate. Carbohydrate cannot do this. In order to be stored as fat it must undergo de novo lipogenesis, which is a very inefficient process, where even more calories are lost, before it can be stored as fat. Protein is nearly impossible to be stored as fat, because it must first undergo the inefficient process of gluconeogenesis to have a portion of it converted to glucose before that glucose can then undergo the even more inefficient process of de novo lipogenesis. Then, and only then, can it contribute to fat storage. Meanwhile fat gets a free pass to the front of the line.

5. Protein has more effect on satiety. It keeps you feeling fuller, longer. Again, one of those scientifically demonstrated phenomenon that isn’t really up for debate. Fat is better than carbs for hunger, but protein is king.

6. Animal protein increases IGF-1 expression, which positively effects fat loss.

7. Protein and carbohydrate both can contribute directly to building muscle, which in turn increases basal metabolic rate, or “metabolism.” Muscle is your friend, and muscle cannot be constructed out of fat. [/quote]

Everyone should thank you for taking the time to compile that information, well done. BRAVO!

Look, seriously:

You’re 20 years old. If I was your age, this is what I would do:

Everything. Every fucking thing. I would put on 2 stone of muscle by doing Mark Rippetoe’s starting strength, then lose the fat and get RIPPED. Then I’d go to university and generally kick ass at life. Then I’d do it again, because you know life is too god damn short to be ordinary.

Here’s to you and your quest to get jacked. I’m a little drunk, as I’m sure you’ve realised by now, but I do hope you get it together.

[/quote]

Ok, I normally handle differences of opinions in a intelligent diplomatic manner but JUGGS just did that for me. And that will help the OP with his understand of weight loss.

Now for you my 15 year old Aussie. You don’t know jack shit about dieting. You eat what the hell your Momma puts on the plate in front of you. How the hell can you tell anyone how to builds muscle at 15 years old when you haven’t done it yourself?

And drop the LMFAO there Mr. hashtag; when you get a real squat and have an ass to laugh off, let me know.

[/quote]

Lulz! Haven’t seen the claws come out before. I think you could definitely give Reed a run for his money, though.

[quote]Apoklyps wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lulz! Haven’t seen the claws come out before. I think you could definitely give Reed a run for his money, though.[/quote]

Now that’s worth a LMAO! Like REED? Hum, I guess I should have toned it back some. It’s a bit out of my nature but he had it coming.