Help Finding Singers

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:
Three not mentioned yet:

Layne Staley

Leslie West (of Mountain)

Paul Rodgers[/quote]

Testy already mentioned Leslie West.

But IMHO, Paul Rodgers is one of the best ever, and in fact sounds better now than he did in his younger days.
[/quote]

My bad. Speed reading fail on my part. I had Steve Perry down first, then realized DB had already mentioned him, so I panicked (hence the triple post) and replaced him with Leslie West.

I’ll go with Phil Anselmo and Bon Scott/Brian Johnson.

Meatloaf

Biz Markie

Jeff Buckley

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
Ozzy[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!
[/quote]

How did Phil Collins not make any of these lists?[/quote]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA!

Speaking of Steve Perry, has anyone heard that little Asian dude who now fronts Journey? Effin’ amazing!
He does Perry better than Perry.

Ivan Moody has great tone and power. more than just a metal singer as shown here.

male whitney houston you say?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
Tobias Sammet leadsinger of European Power Metal band Edguy.

Five octave range.

Other than that the rest of my recommends are all metal also: Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickenson, Steven Tyler (ok thats not metal), David Coverdale, Freddy Mercury duh, Robert Plant, and i’ll also put in a mention for Axl Rose, [/quote]

Other than Plant, those guys are all fags![/quote]

Nah, only Halford and Mercury.

Y’know, technically.

[quote]spherenine wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

Five octave range.

Other than that the rest of my recommends are all metal also: Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford, Bruce Dickenson, Steven Tyler (ok thats not metal), David Coverdale, Freddy Mercury duh, Robert Plant, and i’ll also put in a mention for Axl Rose, [/quote]

Other than Plant, those guys are all fags![/quote]

Nah, only Halford and Mercury.

Y’know, technically.[/quote]

David Coverdale is as queer as a three dollar bill.

From what the OP asked for many singers posted are not what I had in mind. I agree with DB that Otis Redding is a great singer and Wilson Pickett is my favorite male singer but, many posted do not have the vocal power ot range. Someone like Otis Redding is a great singer because of the emotion/feeling he puts into it.

When I read the post I had in mind People like Josh Groban, Andrea Bocelli, another spanish singer would be Jose Jose.

I think the genre you are looking for is what they call pop crossover singers. Singers that may have been classically trained but, sing pop music now. I do not think there are many english language singers that fit that genre there are however many that sing in spanish and italian.

Example: Jose Jose, 22 yrs old

[quote]Hallowed wrote:

Five octave range.[/quote]
Is it a European thing? King Diamond has a crazy range as well.

Perhaps I’ve caught teh ghey, but Adam Lambert has a fantastic voice, with a pretty impressive range.

For an expressive vocalist with not the best range, Alex Band from The Calling is one of my favorites.

[quote]catalyst wrote:
Perhaps I’ve caught teh ghey, but Adam Lambert has a fantastic voice, with a pretty impressive range.
[/quote] I agree with this. Not that Lambert has a fantastic voice, but that you caught teh ghey. lol

Seriously… Adam Lambert DOES have a fantastic voice and an impressive range. IMO, he’s THE American Idol contestant that walked into the place with star quality written all over him. Every aspect of his appearance, performance, sportsmanship exuded professionalism.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Speaking of Steve Perry, has anyone heard that little Asian dude who now fronts Journey? Effin’ amazing!
He does Perry better than Perry. [/quote]

Yeah, Arnel Pineda (sp?). Journey are like gods in the Philippines, apparently:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:
[/quote] I agree with this. Not that Lambert has a fantastic voice, but that you caught teh ghey. lol

Seriously… Adam Lambert DOES have a fantastic voice and an impressive range. IMO, he’s THE American Idol contestant that walked into the place with star quality written all over him. Every aspect of his appearance, performance, sportsmanship exuded professionalism.[/quote]

I could NOT agree more. The high notes he hits with his full voice (without going falsetto) is crazy. So much of that is genetic, but the quality and tone that he puts ‘on’ his voice is money - that’s the benefit of training.

I don’t follow American Idol, but none of the other contestants have really impressed me. Daughtry is a good example of an average range with good delivery and above all else, a paint-by-numbers solution for a record company. In essense: “Hey! Nickelback/Lifehouse/Shinedown get a lot of radio play…”

[quote]catalyst wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:

Seriously… Adam Lambert DOES have a fantastic voice and an impressive range. IMO, he’s THE American Idol contestant that walked into the place with star quality written all over him. Every aspect of his appearance, performance, sportsmanship exuded professionalism.[/quote]

I could NOT agree more. The high notes he hits with his full voice (without going falsetto) is crazy. So much of that is genetic, but the quality and tone that he puts ‘on’ his voice is money - that’s the benefit of training.

I don’t follow American Idol, but none of the other contestants have really impressed me. Daughtry is a good example of an average range with good delivery and above all else, a paint-by-numbers solution for a record company. In essense: “Hey! Nickelback/Lifehouse/Shinedown get a lot of radio play…”[/quote]

Absolutely.

By the way, Cat, not sure if you’re watching AI’s new season, but there’s a young guy who sounds like Lambert. He’s even got Lambert’s eyes. Problem is, he doesn’t have Lambert’s confidence, professionalism at all. In fact he’s got Tourette Syndrom and Asberger’s Syndrom. However, with a little work this kid could really kill in this new season.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:

I don’t follow American Idol, but none of the other contestants have really impressed me. Daughtry is a good example of an average range with good delivery and above all else, a paint-by-numbers solution for a record company. In essense: “Hey! Nickelback/Lifehouse/Shinedown get a lot of radio play…”[/quote]

Absolutely.

By the way, Cat, not sure if you’re watching AI’s new season, but there’s a young guy who sounds like Lambert. He’s even got Lambert’s eyes. Problem is, he doesn’t have Lambert’s confidence, professionalism at all. In fact he’s got Tourette Syndrom and Asberger’s Syndrom. However, with a little work this kid could really kill in this new season.

[/quote]

No I haven’t been following, but holy crap. Great voice. He definitely has a future as a session vocalist without doing an ounce of additional work, but I agree that with some work he could do very well.

What a joke that the judges act like they had to think about the decision to move give him the nod, welcome to the non reality part of reality TV. From the first line he sang it was clear he’s a few notches above whatever else they’ve heard recently.

[EDIT - Damn you Randy for basically saying what I just said VERBATIM about falsetto/full voice.]

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]catalyst wrote:

Absolutely.

[/quote]

I don’t watch the show either but that was impressive.