Help Dropping Some Fat.

So I’m new to this site, just needed suggestions as to what to do here.

I’m 6’2’', 190lbs. 19 years old.

I’m just trying to figure out how to properly lose the gut that’s been hanging onto me for the longest time.

I had even tried not eating a lot, but, obviously… it’s not helping the situation. Starving doesn’t really do much.

So I’m torn between attempting to lose the gut, and get a more leaner look to me as well.

A buddy of mine is telling me “sit-ups’ll make the abs, man”… but I’m not too keen on that either.

So maybe there’s a plan, or an idea out there that’ll help me out?

Thanks a lot.

I’m no expert but I have heard that if you starve yourself, then your body will hold onto the fat because it’s trying to survive. (I’ve also heard the same about too much exercise)

You probably need to experiment with your diet more.

Eat 4-6 small meals a day (try to do 6) to keep your metabolism up.

Read this article to know what to eat:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459493

Find out your resting metabolic rate.
www.apexfitness.com/html/tools/fit_calc/metab/

Now you know how many calories your body needs to survive. Now you need to learn what kind of activities you do throughout your day and how much you burn from that.

Once you combine those two things, you can figure out how much food you need so you can eat a little under that amount.

Now start keeping track of your diet so you know how many calories you’re taking.
(http://www.fitday.com is a free online journal).

If you survive all of that and persevere, then you should start seeing results.

And keep lifting heavy weights so you aren’t losing muscle.

[quote]akillingjoke__ wrote:

I had even tried not eating a lot, but, obviously… it’s not helping the situation. Starving doesn’t really do much.
[/quote]
starving yourself is never a good idea your body will simply hold onto any ammount of fat it can to survive.

not to be a dick but you most likely simply need to gain some LBM, your 6’2" 190LB’s not bad by BMI but if you ffel like you should be leaner you might need to gain some muscle first. many times I hear people saying how they have a gut but the problem is they have no muscle to make up for the body fat.

I may make a joke of this but the first thing to do is gain mass so your gut looks smaller. then get rid of the gut. might seem stupid to most but trust me, most people like getting bigger first then getting leaner. I know I loved it.

Seriously, go over what you truly think you need, then post again if you really think you need to lose BF%. There are many articles. You cannot spot reduce, you need to lose all over to lose anywhere. thats the biggest thing to remember.

BB

Appreciate the advice, guys. Thanks.

Vegetables.

Seriously, buy big bags of them. Eat them ALL DAY LONG. They will help. They are your friends.

So I’m new to this site, just needed suggestions as to what to do here.

I’m just trying to figure out how to properly lose the gut that’s been hanging onto me for the longest time.

So I’m torn between attempting to lose the gut, and get a more leaner look to me as well.

A buddy of mine is telling me “sit-ups’ll make the abs, man”… but I’m not too keen on that either.

So maybe there’s a plan, or an idea out there that’ll help me out?

Thanks a lot.

[/quote]

First off this is a bodybuilding site. Not an “abs by summer break” site.

Now I seriously doubt, you have 20" arms, mostly muscle, coconut shoulders, wheels like a mac truck, etc., but you have this cursed “belly.” I’ll bet your skinny fat, and don’t like it.

Here is the reality of your situation. You need muscle, everywhere. Go on a slow bulk, 1/2 a pound gain in weight a week. Bust your ass, don’t forget your small muscle groups. Find a routine, stick the fuck with it for at least six months. Get stronger. Guess what, your not getting abs any time soon. I’m not sorry, that’s reality, live with it. This is a long road, it’s a tough road, if you want magic go to Disney World. Now beat it, hit some iron.

You need to diet, and train, and you need to do both properly. If you need to know more, please ask a more specific question.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
You need to diet, and train, and you need to do both properly. If you need to know more, please ask a more specific question. [/quote]

Better yet, read Vroom’s “Are you a Beginner II” thread, read the links in that thread, put the information to use for a few months, then come back and ask a more specific question.

Again, appreciated guys.

And yeah, I did think this was an abs by summer break forum, shit… guess I’ll work for them now.

One thing you could give a shot to is the following:

1. Follow Berardi’s 10 Habits.
  2. For PWO Nutrition, Double up on Surge.
  3. Use Chad Waterbury’s HFT; specifically check out his article on how to build your own HFT program.

I’m willing to be if you did those three things between now and the end of the summer, you’ll be leaner, and carrying a good bit more LBM.

[quote]novagreg wrote:

3. Use Chad Waterbury’s HFT; specifically check out his article on how to build your own HFT program.

I’m willing to be if you did those three things between now and the end of the summer, you’ll be leaner, and carrying a good bit more LBM. [/quote]

I’m not so sure about the HFT idea. i’m sure it’s a great program, but CW said it himself, it isnt for beginners. I’d start off with something like ABBH or maybe some TBT. I don’t know what you guys think, but I’ve just got the feeling that he would burn out quickly on HFT.

[quote]Sir Crimson wrote:
novagreg wrote:

I’m willing to be if you did those three things between now and the end of the summer, you’ll be leaner, and carrying a good bit more LBM.

I’m not so sure about the HFT idea. i’m sure it’s a great program, but CW said it himself, it isnt for beginners. I’d start off with something like ABBH or maybe some TBT. I don’t know what you guys think, but I’ve just got the feeling that he would burn out quickly on HFT.
[/quote]

I know where you’re coming from, but in the article, it would start someone off with 4 total body workouts, which is not much more than 3 which are recommended in his TBT. It would break someone in to HFT gradually. I think for the original posters goals, this approach could actually be beneficial.

Again, appreciated guys.

And yeah, I did think this was an abs by summer break forum, shit… guess I’ll work for them now.[/quote]

such an insult.