Help Designing an Upper/Lower Training Split

Hey all,

I am 20 years old looking to add on strength, and I would like to train four days a week keeping my weekends free.

Currently I bench 225, deadlift 405 and squat 350. I fluctuate between 165 and 170 lbs body weight. I have also been seriously training for three years.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would like to add strength, and by extension mass while remaining aesthetic.

I can reply with current pictures if it is necessary.

Thanks for any and all advice!

I think it is possible

Have you heard of 5/3/1? It will do everything you want your training to do. And if you run into any problems, the man himself can often be found offering gems of wisdom on the forums.

Monday - Upper
Tuesday - Lower
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Upper
Friday - Lower
Sat - Rest
Sun - Rest

Upper Body Workout

1. Row (seated or standing)
  2. Bench Press
  3. Pull-ups
  4. Overhead Press / Flys
  5. Core work
  6. Isolation work for arms

Lower Body Workout

1. Leg curl with light weight to warm up
  2. Squats in the 10 rep range
  3. Deadlifts in the 10 rep range
  4. Leg press (Heavy)
  5. Calve work
  6. Core work

[quote]zhack002 wrote:
Currently I bench 225, deadlift 405 and squat 350.

I would like to add strength, and by extension mass while remaining aesthetic. [/quote]
http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_bigger_stronger_leaner/unhappy_with_my_progressbad_programming
Putting 55 pounds on your squat and 20 on your bench in 7 weeks, while adding a couple of pounds bodyweight, is pretty solid work. So, no idea why you’re looking to change things again other than that’s just your nature, but that’s something that should be corrected.

Patience and consistency will pay off. Jumping ship before the gains actually slow down is a mistake.

You were pretty lean so you could likely push a bit more on the nutrition front (bump up daily calories) especially if you’re more often closer to 165 than 170, but based on the above results, I’d say your training is working for you.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]zhack002 wrote:
Currently I bench 225, deadlift 405 and squat 350.

I would like to add strength, and by extension mass while remaining aesthetic. [/quote]

Putting 55 pounds on your squat and 20 on your bench in 7 weeks, while adding a couple of pounds bodyweight, is pretty solid work. So, no idea why you’re looking to change things again other than that’s just your nature, but that’s something that should be corrected.

Patience and consistency will pay off. Jumping ship before the gains actually slow down is a mistake.

You were pretty lean so you could likely push a bit more on the nutrition front (bump up daily calories) especially if you’re more often closer to 165 than 170, but based on the above results, I’d say your training is working for you.[/quote]

Thank you so much for the advice
I will stay on the present course and keep going. I hadn’t stepped back and looked at the big picture, and I have made solid gains over seven weeks.