T Nation

Help Designing a New Program

My Idea is to make it in a gymnastic style, using my own body weight as resistance. I am thinking of things like:

dips
pull ups
push ups
working up to planches, and rings (I bought a set off ringtraining.com)

anything like that.

If anyone has anymore ideas throw em at me!

What I have been doing so far this week is something like this:

I jump on the startionary bike for about 30 mins.

pull ups to failure

dips to failure

hanging wipers to failure

then I have been take a set of push up bars and set a bench behind me and throw my legs over it and do push ups and assisted planche holds for as long as I can.

Single legged body weight squats x 10 in 3 planes of motion so its like 3sets of 10 without rest moving my opposite leg either forward (satiganal) to the side (frontal) or behind and around (transverse) like when a girl in old movies meets someone. So it comes out to 30 reps per leg.

And I’ll go through all of that 3 times like a circuit.

then jump on the bike again for another 30 mins to finish it up.

O yeah I forgot so far this week I have started each workout (after my bike ride, and before my bike when I leave) with a 20 rep set of a nice big complex and finish the same way, so far I have used Bench, squats, and Deads. I was thinking of doing standing over head press for tommarow, and then rows on friday.

I know I am going to get asked my goals so heres what I am after:

Complete control over my body, as in balance and coordination.

I’ve been reading recently that many people feel volume is better than going to failure for bodyweight exercises like pull-ups/chins, push-ups, etc. Aside from that, I don’t have much to contribute, but am interested in what everyone else has to say, since I am tossed around the idea of a “bodyweight only” sorta workout before.

One could argue that bodyweight exercises must be valid because many gymnasts have fantastic physiques. However, there must be an intensity difference (and the fact they probably do the training for hours on end everyday) because most people I feel would plateau very quick on BW exercises.

I would put cardio as the last item IMO. Your only wasting valuable muscle glycogen to do a task that could be done at anytime.

You will need to add diversity to your pullups etc add static holds or whatever. I have an asian friend that can bust out 25 pullups without a problem, but he has nothing (mass wise) to show for it.

Good point

[quote]
You will need to add diversity to your pullups etc add static holds or whatever.[/quote]

Yeah if anyone wants to see what gave me the Idea and motivation for this new workout watch this video: http://youtube.com/watch?v=IMjFN-m2VOM and read the book peaceful warrior or rent the movie.

Honestly, pretty impressive video.

[quote]yasser wrote:
Honestly, pretty impressive video.[/quote]

HELL YEAH!!! It takes something like that for me to be inspired by someone else.

I am going to buy a dip belt so I can add weight to my exercise like dips and pull ups

[quote]yasser wrote:
Honestly, pretty impressive video.[/quote]

Agreed, aside from the atrocious music…

I just found this article: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459685

well heres a bunch of em:

Yeah I am a breakdancer and have similar goals as you, I still use weights though. For better control over your body whilst on your hands implimenting this will greatly help:
Overhead squats for inverts and hollowbacks.
dips dips and more dips, stick weight around your neck, hang it behind you, then hang it in front of you, then try doing clap dips.
Front lateral cable raise. I find doing these in smaller reps but massive sets helps a lot with planches.
Millions of handstands. Millions of them, make it your cardio because if you get good enough at them you can walk around in circles - it becomes more of a cardio than balance or strength excercise.
If you cant do muscle-ups you can do cat-leaps up a chinup bar then do eccentric muscleups followed by explosive chinups. repeat.
If are doing the money excercises do them with dumbells for less isolation and more controll. DB bench, DB Deadlifts, DB military press.

If you want more control over your body I would suggest picking up a martial art of some kind because many a friend of mine who are black belts have awesome control and power. Capoeira, Kung-fu, Jujitsu.

Have fun and update us on your work. You can have a look at http://www.beastskills.com/ for a bit of fun and learning. I liked it alot when I first saw it.

[quote]travis8798 wrote:
I’ve been reading recently that many people feel volume is better than going to failure for bodyweight exercises like pull-ups/chins, push-ups, etc. Aside from that, I don’t have much to contribute, but am interested in what everyone else has to say, since I am tossed around the idea of a “bodyweight only” sorta workout before.[/quote]

I agree, if you go to failure it is not nearly as effective as doing many sets for volume. Gymnasts can train for hours and hours building up to massive amounts of volume, switching between really high intensity with rests, to low intensity and little rest. If you want body control (depends what you do in the day) practice singular movements every single time you are available to do so, doing movements after when you wake up, brekkie, lunch, toilet, driving home, dinner, bed, ANY time you can. This will build up an overall volume. Just pick an exercise and do it for the day. This, along with whole-body workouts will give you more control and stability with your strength.

I just bought this for my bodyweight training: http://www.bwculture.net/?Click=473