T Nation

Help Decipher Test Results

I have just got my test results back after having a physical. Blood and urine were both taken. I’m about to start researching the results so I thought I would post them here to get some feedback. I’m 40 years old. Any input to help decipher this would be appreciated.

Total test. - 686
Free test. - 91.7
% test free - 1.3
TSH - 1.72
T4 free - 1.2
T3 total - 89
Estradiol - 32
DHEA Sulfate - 158
PSA - 0.62
Total Cholesterol - 125
HDL Chol - 48
LDL Chol, calculated - 69
triglycerides - 39

Thanks,
Matt

I’m jealous. Nice results. Especially the HDL and test.

Your numbers look great – CONGRATS

Your test I believe is high normal for your age.

Your Estradiol is at a good level. If you wanted to you could maybe lower it a little by taking Biotest Rez-V

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1158493

Prostate – that psa number is great.

Again great numbers. Congratulations.

All labs include a “reference range” with their results which tell you what values are typical for that particular test done in the way they do it. It is usually only when a result falls outside of the reference range than a doctor will consider it an indication of a problem.

Here’s an article that gives a pretty good rundown of what the different tests are about:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461891

Thanks for the input. Yes, there was a range that was given with the results but, from reading this website, what they consider normal and what we consider optimal, are 2 different things.

I do take Flameout and Rez-v religiously so, I guess they’re doing their thing. I also eat pretty well and, obviously hit the gym.
Thanks again!

PS- should I be concerned about the estradiol? I scribbled down a while back what someone on this site considered optimal and it was 17-25 pg/ml.

Matt

[quote]happydog48 wrote:
All labs include a “reference range” with their results which tell you what values are typical for that particular test done in the way they do it. It is usually only when a result falls outside of the reference range than a doctor will consider it an indication of a problem.

Here’s an article that gives a pretty good rundown of what the different tests are about:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=461891[/quote]

Thanks for that link. I remembered seeing the article a while back and was going to search for it.

When it comes to hormones, it simply isn’t possible to say that one number is optimal and another isn’t. If only it was that easy. You have to look at how you feel and what your body composition is and what you would do to change things and what result you’d expect and on and on.

Do you have any of the symptoms associated with high E2 levels? How’s your emotional stability? Are you getting morning wood? Are your fat deposits uniform or concentrated in the gut and chest? Do you have any reason at all to question your Estradiol other than a number?

E2 is largely made from the aromatization of Testosterone. Since your T levels are on the high normal side, it makes perfect sense to me that your E levels would follow along. In the absence of symptoms I wouldn’t be concerned.

Thanks for the input. I guess I feel pretty good. I’ll keep tabs on it as I now plan to get a check up once a year.