Help Deciding on TRT

I got my labs today: total test was 365ng/L on the first lab and 312 on the second. SHBG 20.4 nmol/L. The doc said that the CFT was 9.43.
Other KPIs:
39yo
6’3" 295
Exercise and eating were terrible for the past year or so while work was crazy busy. Been lifting and eating mostly clean the past 2 months – will continue this as life is more stable now.
All my other labs were on point except HDL was 36mg/dL and LDL was 129mg/dL both fasted (doc thinks this might be because I’m eating too much red meat).

As far as my symptoms – I do get fatigued during the day, even with a desk job, also brain doesn’t seem as sharp and memory/concentration are noticeably lower. Finally, my performance in the gym is very noticeably worse now compared to when I started lifting a few years ago.

Questions:
Is my T actually low? Doc said the first was at the bottom of the range & the second was low.
Is the CFT number off as well?
Should I try other avenues before TRT?

Doc thinks I’ll benefit from TRT, but before I commit I want to understand where I’m at and what’s “normal”. So I’m looking for your thoughts.

Thanks!

Are you done with having kids? Probably the most important factor.

You have pretty low T, but seem pretty heavy, unless you are very muscular. Losing weight will almost for sure bring up your levels, but they may only get to low normal.

yeah, done having kids. body fat about 32%

How long have you thought about it? Generally men who do it, do it for life. I thought about it for around a year before deciding to do it. It isn’t going to solve all your problems for you (I think people get that in their heads). I have a bit more energy, a bit more muscle, higher libido, and quite a bit less fat. I still have ADHD symptoms that I thought would get better.

I can tell you what’s normal for me, but I don’t think anyone can tell you what’s normal for you.

Testosterone Threshold for Increased Cardiovascular Risk in Middle-Aged and Elderly Men: A Locally Weighted Regression Analysis

These data showed that a testosterone threshold of 440 ng/dL was associated with increased Framingham 10-year CVD risk in middle-aged and elderly men. Poor sexual performance, decreased morning erection, and loss of libido had an impact on the testosterone threshold for CVD risk. The threshold level was higher in men with sexual dysfunction.

Desk jobs are poison for your body and mind. It shouldn’t be a surprise that you get fatigued.

1 Like