Help Deciding on a Fish Oil

Hey everyone,

I decided to start taking the Mega-dosage Poliquin prescribes of at least 25-30 grams.

I’m not in a position to buy Flameout at the moment. However I found these two products:

=275&osCsid=ddc8369d9540e79e3a5347d9dea34e90

www.foryourhealth.co.uk/store.asp?pid=126

So which is best and what is a good starting dosage?
Note the Carlsons brand has more DHA. So I like that one.

I want to use it to lower body-fat %.

With thanks.

I don’t know anything about either, but I always see Carlsons mentioned here. (I think TC used it before Flameout)

EDIT:
Actually, I just checked out the facts on Carlsons. I found it for about $15 a bottle. But even at that, Flameout has more than double the DHA per serving. EPA is about the same. Also, Flameout has the CLA which Carlsons does not. So really, they are the same price. Flameout having twice the amount at $30 vs Carlsons having half at $15.

Are there specific outlines for EPA and DHA or is it simply x grams of Omega-3?

Question of Strength, December '06
Q & A with one of the world’s premier strength coaches
by Charles Poliquin

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1371812

The Single Best Supplement

Q: What’s one supplement that every athlete, weekend warrior, and basically any active person should be taking daily?

A: Fish oil. I was first introduced to fish oil twelve years ago by my friend Mauro DiPasquale. I was over at his house and he had fish oil on the counter. I asked him what he used it for and he said, “Charles, this is the most important supplement ever.”

He told me to go to Medline and punch in any disease known to man and the words “fish oil” beside it. He challenged me to find a study that didn’t show how fish oil could benefit in the treatment of any disease. I gave up after 86 studies!

Why is it so beneficial? It’s in our genes. Humans used to consume 300-400 grams of omega-3s per week. If we consume more than two grams a day now it’s considered a lot.

There was a study published four years ago that showed that if the US government issued three grams of fish oil per day to American citizens, then the amount of cancer and heart disease would go down by 50% within one year. Most readers don’t care about cancer and heart disease, but they may care about this: the biggest limiting factor in naturally training people to getting lean and adding muscle is the consumption (or lack thereof) of omega-3s.

Looking at the body structure of cavemen, they had a lot of muscle mass compared to modern man. They got their omega-3s through the meats they ate. Now, they often ate what the predators left. For example, a lion will eat an antelope from the gut on, so what’s left is the skull and long bones. Primitive man would break the skull open and eat the brains. Brains are 60% fat, and 60% of that is DHA, the omega-3. What they’ve found is that the more brain-sucking was going in those populations, the faster the IQ went up.

“I’ve lost my appetite.”

Primitive man would also break the bones of the prey and suck the marrow, also rich in omega-3, DHA particularly. DHA is the omega-3 most responsible for brain development while EPA is most associated with reducing inflammation.

My athletes would often recognize each other when sitting around a table because those I’d be training would break out the fish oil during the meal. That’s how I got the nickname “the fish oil guy” among athletes. But that’s also how I get people so lean so fast.

Anyone who wants to put on muscle and lose fat should be on 30-45 grams of fish oil per day. That’s just three tablespoons of fish oil. It would be a pain in the ass with capsules though because that’s around 45 capsules per day, but it’s easy with a straight oil.

Flameout is also a great product. I like the addition of CLA to the EPA and DHA because most of the population is deficient in CLA. When I travel abroad I bring four or five bottles of Flameout instead of my liquid fish oil and take four or five capsules a day.

I have the same sort of problem, I’ve been taking fish oil since I was a kid (forced by my mother) but I didn’t know any of the real benifits until a year ago.

I’m taking a Hight Strength Cod Liver Oil 1000mg capsule which has 100mg DHA and 70mg EPA per capsule. It also contains 100% of the RDA for Vitamin A and D.

The label says that only one should be taken a day with foor, but people taking Flameout are taking much higher doses that this. Can anyone give me some advice on how much should be taken?

I also take CLA capsules twice a day, these are 1000mg with 800mg of CLA.

Well i’m not an expert but i’ve been from numerous people not including those from T-Nation that your sposed to take half you bodyweight(lbs) in grams. So a 200ish pound guy like me should consume 100gms of Omega 3.

On top of this your sposed to get more DHA as this is the ‘good stuff’ that provides a lot of the benefits.

AnalogKid the price of the product isn’t the issue its the bloody taxes that are a pain in the arse.

Basically I’m trying to follow what Poliquin prescribes. Anyway I kind of prefer taking oil over capsules.

Also i’ve been mega dosing with some other omerga 3 caps this past week and have noticed already a boost in energy(mentally), no muscle aches and less need for sleep.

Must be good stuff.

I know what you mean about the taxes. I would like to order stuff from the website, but I know once it gets here, with all the added duty and cutoms charges, everything will end up costing double, which makes it a ripp off.

I might just have to save it until my next trip to the states and get everything delivered to my hotel.

As for taking half my body weight in Lbs of fish oil, I think that could be way too much. That means me taking 50 of these pills I have to get 50g of fish oil which would be 5g of DHA and 4g of EPA.

Something doesn’t seem right to me.

[quote]London Runner wrote:
I have the same sort of problem, I’ve been taking fish oil since I was a kid (forced by my mother) but I didn’t know any of the real benifits until a year ago.

I’m taking a Hight Strength Cod Liver Oil 1000mg capsule which has 100mg DHA and 70mg EPA per capsule. It also contains 100% of the RDA for Vitamin A and D.

The label says that only one should be taken a day with foor, but people taking Flameout are taking much higher doses that this. Can anyone give me some advice on how much should be taken?

I also take CLA capsules twice a day, these are 1000mg with 800mg of CLA.[/quote]

Cod Liver oil is a poor choice. Invest in some quality salmon pills and aim to get a product that has at least 400mg of DHA per dose, i’m suprised the EPA is so low because that tends to be higher compared to DHA in most products i’ve encountered.

I’m mindful of overdoing the Vitamins too. Just get pure fish oil.

I researched 12 different brands of fish oil, and the one with the highest concentration of EPA/DHA for the cheapest price (by far) is Now Super EPA. It’s molecularly distilled.

The one I got is from Holland and Barrett. I know they do have salmon oil, and super EPA amoungst others, but I’ve never really looked at them because I have so much of the others left(about 550 capsules), but I will check them out the next time I’m in there.

I just checked them on the net,
hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/004461HB.pdf
The salmon oil doesn’t have great numbers either.

This is the super concentrated EPA oil,
hollandandbarrett.com/vf/labels/051018HB.pdf
Still not great numbers, 300mg EPA and 200mg DHA, 90 capsules for about £11 / $21.50

Where do you get your fish oil from?

[quote]Shire wrote:
Well i’m not an expert but i’ve been from numerous people not including those from T-Nation that your sposed to take half you bodyweight(lbs) in grams. So a 200ish pound guy like me should consume 100gms of Omega 3.

On top of this your sposed to get more DHA as this is the ‘good stuff’ that provides a lot of the benefits.

AnalogKid the price of the product isn’t the issue its the bloody taxes that are a pain in the arse.

Basically I’m trying to follow what Poliquin prescribes. Anyway I kind of prefer taking oil over capsules.

Also i’ve been mega dosing with some other omerga 3 caps this past week and have noticed already a boost in energy(mentally), no muscle aches and less need for sleep.

Must be good stuff.[/quote]

Oh right, didn’t see you were “across the pond”.

100g?! That’s a hella lot of fish oil. You might sprout gills and fins!

[quote]lowlight wrote:
I researched 12 different brands of fish oil, and the one with the highest concentration of EPA/DHA for the cheapest price (by far) is Now Super EPA. It’s molecularly distilled.[/quote]

Really? Looking at DHA content(which is the good stuff anyway)I get it to breakdown like this:

NOW SuperEPA
120 caps/$12
240mgDHA/cap

Flameout
90caps/$30
550mgDHA/cap

So, Flameout has more than twice the DHA content, but it is also twice the price. Including the the CLA in Flameout, and considering the price difference is negligible, I still like Flameout.

The Holland and Barrett and the Carlson’s would be good. You’ll just have to do a little bit of math to determine what dose you’ll need to use.

Shire, did you get my PM?

Flameout is great, but if taxes//customs are an issue check to see if Nordic naturals is carried by any of your supplement providers online.

Nordic Naturals and carlsons have a light flavor which might help taking high doses, and I believe both have at least 400mg DHA.

Unless they have altered the product recently.

Even with taxes …Flameout still might be the highest concentration… but …also… it has been on backorder lately

At Costco:

400 pills - $8.99
300mg combined EPA/DHA (per pill)

Good deal

[quote]Madman2 wrote:

Shire, did you get my PM?[/quote]

No.

[quote]Madman2 wrote:
The Holland and Barrett and the Carlson’s would be good. You’ll just have to do a little bit of math to determine what dose you’ll need to use.
[/quote]

I don’t think the dose is the problem, the problem for me is getting like 1000% of the reccomended daily dose of Vitamin A and D.

900% more then I need might fry my brain or something.

[quote]Shire wrote:
Madman2 wrote:

Shire, did you get my PM?

No.[/quote]

I just resent it 3 times. Maybe it’ll go through. If not PM me your email and I’ll send it that way.

Madman2 wrote:

I don’t think the dose is the problem, the problem for me is getting like 1000% of the reccomended daily dose of Vitamin A and D.

900% more then I need might fry my brain or something.[/quote]

Oops! I was thinking of the Super Concentrated EPA oil in your second link.

Madman2 wrote:

900% more then I need might fry my brain or something.[/quote]

Vitamin D wouldn’t be an issue, your body generally loves the stuff, especially if you don’t get outside enough. I have no idea what problems/side effects you can get with large ingestion of vitamin A.

I’ll have a look into it and see what I can find out about excess vitamin A.