T Nation

Help Critique My Program Please!

So I’d like to ask a couple questions. I still consider myself a beginner but I started in June 09’ after taking 4 years off. College was fun but now its time to buckle down and get serious. At first I started off with a beginner program thats not worth mentioning but now I have recently taken up this program, while also modifying it. I got it from the “Ifitness” application on the Iphone. It is called the “30-minute chest workout” but funny enough it actually contains other things. So here it is, I’ll put my additions in “( )” :

Day 1:
Bench Press 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
Dumbbell Flys 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
bb bent over rows 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
Back Squats 4 sets 8-10 reps 45 seconds rest
dumbbell shoulder (it says 1 set but I do 4) 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
Dumbbell Bicep curl (it says 1 set but I do 4) 8-10 reps 30 seconds rest
Cable triceps pushdowns (it says 1 set but I do 3 in a super set, 15 reps overhead and 15 reps pushdowns, 1 minute and 30 seconds rest)
Calf Raises (on leg press) 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest

(now it has 3 days but I like to add 2 more, only with 2 days rest during the week)

Day 2 (day 2 in the program)
Push ups, 4 sets, as many reps as possible
barbell bench press, 3 sets 3-6 reps (30 seconds rest)
Lat Pulldowns, 4 sets 8-10 reps, 45 seconds rest
Machine Leg Press, 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
barbell shoulder press, 4 sets 8-10 reps
Barbell Bicep Curls 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest
Dips, 4 sets, 30 seconds rest
Machine calf raises, 4 sets 8-10 reps 60 seconds rest

(now I don’t do this as day two, My day 2 consists of Cardio and Back)

Day 3

Dumbbell Incline bench, they say 3 sets as many as possible, I however up the weight, do 4 sets, 10 reps and 60 seconds rest
BarBell Bench Press, 4 sets 8-10 reps, they say 30 seconds rest, I do 45-60 seconds
Decline Close Grip, 4 sets 6-10 reps, 90 seconds rest
Cable Seated Low Row, 4 sets 8-10 reps, 60 seconds rest
Dumbbell Lunge, 4 sets, 8-10 reps, 60 seconds rest
Dumbbell Shoulder (they say 1 set, I do 3) 8-10 reps, 60 seconds rest
Lying triceps extension, 3 sets, 8-10 reps, 45 seconds rest
Calf Raises, 2 sets, 8-10 reps, 45 seconds rest

Ok so then usually I’m taking off after this day before I do my own day of Chest and Shoulders, also with a full cardio regiment. My day 5 really centers in on chest and some shoulders.

BB bench Regular- 4 sets, 10 reps, 90 seconds rest
BB Incline Bench- 4 sets, 10 reps, 90 seconds rest
BB Decline Bench- 4 sets, 10 reps, 90 seconds rest
And in between each one of those I take down the bar, grab the dumbbells and do flys/presses on the bench, obviously with a little bit lower weight
Front Lifts- 4 sets, 10 reps, 60 seconds rest
(and I don’t know what this one is called but on the cable machine I drop the pulley to the floor and with the opposite arm I grab the pulley near the floor and pull it up and across my body, ending where my left leg and right arm are in line above my head, then I repeat for the other side) These I do 4 sets, 8-10 reps, 30 seconds rest

Ok so thats a lot, but I’m just kinda trying stuff out, and it seems to really be working in a lot of ways, before I had no chest at all and now its popping out and other things are getting much stronger. One might consider this routine “curcuit training” as a trainer at my gym said, I’ve been adding in more cardio, and some weeks I don’t even take that day off I just do cardio. I can imagine the pros on this forum will think this is not any good but I just want some feedback. I’ve been doing it since the beginning of December and figured I’d try it out for 8 weeks. My nutrition is good and I take a few different supplements, they are as follows:

Multivitamin
Fish Oil
ON Casein for night time
ON Whey Protein during the day and after workouts
NO Explode pre-workout
NO Cellmass post workout recovery

So please, critique, pull it apart and let me know what you think, I can post newer photos as well, I know I havent’ updated mine in a while! I’m still new to this scene, I’m excited, ready to learn and love the lifestyle, I eventually want to model or compete and I’m extremely motivated. Thanks and Post away!!

“Nothing is predestined: The obstacles of your past can become the gateways that lead to new beginnings.” No pain, No gain…Semper Fi!! Carry On!!

This is written in a rather confusing manner.

Can you just write what you’re doing day by day instead of confusing it with the program you’re getting it from?