T Nation

Help Critique My Diet and Workout

Okay. I know everyone tries to make a New Years resolution that they'll work out more and eat better, but I am dead ass set on it. I started in December. I was a heavy drinker (i'm in college), but since december, i cut it down to 2 drinks max once or twice a week. That has helped a lot so far. I am going to try to be as specific as possible, so I can get as much help as possible. I bust my ass every day in the gym, so if I'm eating shitty, I want to fix it ASAP. Here is exactly what I do as detailed as possible.

BTW I am 22, 190 lbs, a little skinny fat, but since I cleaned up my diet my abs are starting to show. I worked out on and off without knowing what I was doing for 2 years. I had a terrible approach to bulking. I ate everything in sight, and did random lifting in the gym. I know I am weak, but since I worked on my diet, I can feel myself getting stronger.

current lifts 1RM

MP:100 lbs
DL:205 lbs
Squat: 175 lbs
Bench: 155 lbs

-2 Servings of Oatmeal
-flax seed (in oatmeal)
-honey (in oatmeal)
- 1 scoop of ON whey
-1 glass of whole milk
-1 multi vitamin
-1 horny goat weed
-2 fish oil

-1 bone less chicken breast (very big)
 - spinach
 -1 whole avocado
 -2 fish oil
  -glass of whole milk

meal 3:
-2 ground beef patties
-glass of whole milk
-pear or banana
-2 fish oil

meal 4:
-can of tuna
-handful of almonds
-glass of whole milk
-pear or banana
-2 fish oil

WORKOUT - 5/3/1 bodyweight assistance

Warmup every workout with jump rope
-100 double leg
-50 left
-50 right
-50 alternating
-50 high knee
-100 double leg

-Pullups 5x10
-Dips 5x10

-leg curl 3x10
-hanging leg raise 5x10

-Pullups 5x10
-barbell curls 3x8
-pushups 10,8,6,4,2

-BB lunges 5x10
-situps 5x10

I finish every workout with the same jumprope as the warm up...

I get 8-10 hours of sleep a night.

figured this would help out...

2913 calories

270 g carbs

144 g fat

210 g protein

Ok I can only recommend what I've found that works but I'll tell you what I know.

I'm gonna assume your trying to lose weight and see the abs so I'll centre things around that.

1) bump your meals up too 5 or 6 instead of 4, you should be early every three hours to both stay anabolic i.e. Constant supply of protein and also to keep your metabolism up.

2) Drink at least 3.5 liters of water daily dude.

3) if I where you I'd bump up the protein in favour of the carbs I.e. Try a 40% P 30% C and 30% F split. Or in other words, make protein 1.5 grams per pound of bodyweight, fill in 30% fats and then do the rest with carbs.

4) I'd move the fruits from last meals of the day to the first meals, JB recommends...........

Hmm ok I have a better idea, I'm going to give you two names and I want you to read everything written by them prevailing to diet.

Dr J M Berardi
Chris Shugart

Report back when you have.

Love Dave

Your workout sucks. Find a good plan and stick to it. You can have the best diet in the world, but if you aren't putting the effort in the gym you won't see results.

He's doing 5/3/1. Since when is this a shitty program?

OP, your program is fine.

Yeah I gotta agree with this one.

The layout for your program is fine, just make sure you are busting your balls at every workout.

I made that mistake myself, jumping from program too programing thinking that nothing was working when the real problem was my effort in the gym.

Bottom line: Anything works as long as your giving it your all.

Sorry, missed the part about doing 5/3/1. Looked like a general lack of assistance lifts.

Almost true. With experience you need to develop a filter, or a bullshit detector. MOST programs work if you believe in it and bust your ass, but certainly not all.

I like to just take all my fish oils at one time after dinner. Fats can slow down the absorption of fast-acting proteins and carbs around workout time, and although there is a lot of different opinions on workout nutrition protocols, almost everyone agrees that you should save the fats for a different time.

i didnt get how tall you are- 190lbs yes and you said 'skinny fat' dont ry to add too much weight too fast, that will mean you are adding too much bodyfat, 5/3/1 program is awesome but you have to stick with it for a long period of time. your 22, youve got many years of weight training ahead of you-enjoy!!

my fault, I am 6'1"

Oh brother. This is precisely the kind of advice we are trying to get out of the beginners heads around here. Very often the ones most concerned with getting fat, are the ones who never put on any size at all.

true! im always trying to add size, i'm 6'5 and 315 and it is a constant struggle. i started at 190 lbs

for real? can't tell if this is sarcasm

Clearly sarcasm.... It's not that I'm afraid of becoming obese, I want to get my diet in check, so I can eat big and get big, but not gain more fat than I have to.

Dude, that right there is the holy grial.

And to that I say amen:)

Try eating more fats (both animal and plant based, olive oil, coconut, safflower, grape seed etc,) Substitute the tuna for salmon, sardines, cod etc... they have more fat than tuna and less mercury.

Decrease your carb intake and increase your fat intake, you are eating enough protein. You can easily create an anabolic, positive nitrogen balance eating 3-4 meals a day instead of more smaller meals. Your body is not dumb it knows how to process your food.

Work each muscle twice a week instead of once a week, once a week is for roid users. I have never trained under or ever heard of a sports and conditioning coach recommend working a muscle only once a week.

Are you counting grams of protein from non animal sources as well?

can anyone else recommend some lean protein sources, some healthy fat sources, and some carb sources that I should be including in my diet?