Help Critique My Bulking Diet

Eat Moar Chikin

[quote]WhiteTiger711 wrote:
Eat Moar Chikin[/quote]

I don’t specify foods cause I try to mix it up as much as possible to avoid allergies. But Yes chicken Is one of the things I eat alot of.

Way more carbs, more protein.

Why are you planning to lower your bf% on a bulk? Huh?

I’m not those are eventual goals. It was a basic outline. I know it needs a lot of editing but I think It’s a good start.

good planning and good numbers…

if you havent yet check out the articles on the site about bulking or mass gaining…really helpful!

Nutrition for Newbies by CT
and
Massive Eating by J. Beradi

Also…

Quality Mass Diet by Shugart is pretty bomb too.

Bulking is sure a good amount of work when done right…kitchen and gym :stuck_out_tongue:

good start & good luck!

what’s your training program looking like?

Before you decide what you want; take a peek at what I wrote here.

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/for_those_who_want_to_loose_fat_while_gaining_muscle

(i know you said your bf% were eventual goals…but just take a read)

you are seriously lacking calories…

your total comes to 2758 and 3158 on carb up days…

Up all 3 nutriments… aim for a 40/30/30 ratio being prot/carb/fat

at 190lb, you should get at leat 4000cal

[quote]zraw wrote:
you are seriously lacking calories…

your total comes to 2758 and 3158 on carb up days…

Up all 3 nutriments… aim for a 40/30/30 ratio being prot/carb/fat

at 190lb, you should get at leat 4000cal[/quote]

I wish I could but Folks can’t afford it. I spend most of my own money on protein and supplements I’m also saving for a car so money is kinda tight.

hey man, i know that bulking can be expensive…but i’m paying off about 70k in loans (school, credit card and car) as well as paying all the rent and shit…and i’m eating 4kcal a day.

its possible.

chicken/tuna/eggs/bulk whey
pasta/rice/oats
olive oil/cheese

i spend about $50/wk on food and buy bulk items all the time.

now quit whining and go eat!

I would personally ramp up the carbs. Protein is fine, and fat is fine.

It is not expensive to add in carbs. Eat some Top Ramen noodles with your meals if you have to. Don’t worry too much if the carb calories are “clean” as long as they aren’t coming from a bunch of sugar.

Also, just eat the same all week. You are making it more difficult than it needs to be by making different meal plans for different days, in my opinion. Save the carb cycling stuff for when you are cutting.

You don’t count calories?
Huh?

I don’t exactly sit down with a calculator and look at every label (although many do) but I have a ballpark figure in my head of what I’m going for and what I’m taking in.

I agree with many posts above-

I think your carbs are extremely low for someone looking to bulk up.

Of main concern to me is your Pre and Post-Workout meal/shakes.

With no carbs since breakfast,I am surprised you have the energy to finish the workout.
Although fat is utilised as an energy source,your body would also leech carbs from your muscles (as stored glycogen) to burn as well,if there are little ‘spare’ carbs immediately available.

Also,after your workout,you need to fully top-up your glycogen levels with carbs-24g is very low,especially for your weight.I would recommend a MINIMUM of 60g and as much as 80g,IMMEDIATELY after a workout-dextrose/glucose is a good choice.

As ktennie mentioned,when bulking,I wouldn’t obsess over clean carbs,especially if you are on a budget.

And forget the cycling and carb up days for now.
Shop around,find the cheapest supermarket around,and buy SACKS of pasta rice and noodles in bulk.

You may have to consider cutting out some supplements if you can’t afford more food-supplements are exactly that-they don’t form the BASIS of your diet,they SUPPORT it.

Your low carb intake would be less of an issue when cutting,when fat loss is a priority,but you mentioned you are trying to add bulk,with fat loss as a longer-term goal.

Read up on some of the articles mentioned-‘Massive Eating’ 1 and 2 are good.
If you want more peeps on here to give advice and pick at your diet a bit more,you need to be more specific about what you eat.A sample menu for a week or a couple of days would be great-
For instance,the protein numbers look good at first glance-

6 meals/snacks,50g of protein in each one.
But if say,4 of those are from protein shakes and only two are proper meals,thats different.
Because protein shakes are a SUPPLEMENT,and as mentioned earlier,they shouldn’t form the basis of your diet,they should SUPPORT it.

You want the bulk of your diet to be REAL WHOLE FOODS.

Thanks for all the input. so I should ramp it up to 4000k then. Just so you guys know I’m not actually on the diet I posted yet. Right now I just try to fit 6 meals and eat a lot.

As for 50$ per week. My folks have usually 100$ to feed 4 of us. As is I eat more than everyone in my house combined.

Speaking of top raman about 1/3 of my meals consist at least partially of it.

Also I get how supplements are supposed to support, but protein wise about 90% of my protein comes from shakes. I know It’s bad and all, but I don’t have another choice It’s either powder or not enough protein.

I’m gonna rewrite my diet with all this helpful info and re post Hopefully It’s up to par with T-Nation. lol

[quote]Spencerulz wrote:
Also I get how supplements are supposed to support, but protein wise about 90% of my protein comes from shakes. I know It’s bad and all, but I don’t have another choice It’s either powder or not enough protein.[/quote]

Can you expand on this?
Why can’t you get protein from other sources?
cost?
convenience?

[quote]g star 24 7 wrote:
Spencerulz wrote:
Also I get how supplements are supposed to support, but protein wise about 90% of my protein comes from shakes. I know It’s bad and all, but I don’t have another choice It’s either powder or not enough protein.

Can you expand on this?
Why can’t you get protein from other sources?
cost?
convenience?

[/quote]

cost and convenience as I mentioned my folks don’t have a lot of money. I just got let go from my job. I’m at school most of the day and there food is absolute shit I eat mostly salads at school. powder can go anywhere and It’s dirt cheap If you look hard enough. I have casein, whey, and mass gainer all from ON. there cheap and from what I can tell work pretty damn good.

I came across your thread and thought I might be able to offer a few things to help out. As for saving some money on groceries here are a few pointers I offered someone else in another thread:

1.) Buy in bulk, if you do not have the money to make the large order on your own find a couple of gym buddies or friends in general who would eat the same item(s) as you and go in on the purchase together.

2.) Buy directly from local farmers, I am fortunate to live in Ohio where there is no shortage of farms:-) I don’t know if this is a possibility for you but, if you can buy from the farmers directly (especially if you buy in bulk as suggested in point 1) you can save a lot.

3.) Watch for sales, I can tell you that Whole foods just ran a special this last weekend where they had their pre made burgers (delicious I might add) for only 1$ each (they are made fresh, no antibiotics or hormones, mostly grass fed and 1/3 lb each:-)

4.) Buy other items generic. Buying a “comparable brand” of shampoo, toilet paper, shower gel, razors etc. can save you close to 40.00/month

5.) don’t be afraid to ask the managers for a deal. I deal directly with the head butcher at the stores I shop at (or someone who can accomidate) and I will go to them and say i.e. I know the turkey is 5.99/lb but if I buy 20lbs can you sell it to me for 3.99 (most of the time they will).

6.) For supplements (including a lot of Biotest stuff) check out www.thejuicedmoose.com their savings are tremendous!!! and they have a helpful and intelligent staff!!

As far as a good bulking plan, when I was in college and strapped for cash
In terms of a good split to follow I would eat 50/30/20

P/F/C

Here is a typical day:

Meal #1
4 whole eggs + 6 egg whites
3/4 cup oatmeal before cooking

Meal #2
Monster Milk

Meal #3
8 oz. chicken (before cooking)
1 cup cooked rice
2 cups vegetables or salad w/ 2 TBS. Low Cal Dressing

Meal #4
Monster Milk

Meal #5
12 oz. sirloin steak
2 cups vegetables or large salad

Meal #6 - same as Meals 2 & 4

For Post workout shake use Gatorade (powdered) and whey isolate

Pre workout 1 scoop whey isolate

At this point I would focus on training and do the best you can with the hand you have been dealt. You can worry more about all the details e.g. protein rotation, peri-workout nutrition more once your job situation gets settled. You clearly have done your homework and a lot of stuff looked good, just not for your situation and goals right now. Hope this helps out and please let me know if there is anything else I can offer to help out.

wtf is in monster milk? i added up the proteins and it seems a lot less than 50%. 8oz chicken would be like 50g tops, 12oz sirloin may be 75gprotein or so.
not sure about eggs and shit but surely its ~70g only.

furthermore, if i eat 50%p is hard to get since fat usually comes with meat and the fat % goes way up!

8oz chicken is about 56 grams (I go with 7grams per oz)

Monster Milk has 51 grams of protein and an added 10.1grams leucine plus glutamine and good fats

As for the eggs (28+24) should put you at another 52 grams protein

300grams protein does not include workout shake another 100grams (3scoops post 1 scoop pre)

It may be slightly over or under my 50/30/20 ideal but it is meant to be a giude not written in stone.

i see. i always thought protein from whey should be avoided, so i only focused on getting proteins from normal whole foods.
is protein amount what matters, or food type?

Well, in his situation I would place more emphasis on amount. If you have the money to spend I truly do believe you will recieve more benefit from rotation of food sources and if possible I would always take food over a mrp but, I do realize protein powder provides a good cheap alternative.

As for the Whey it is ideal for post workout, as a meal replacement throughout the day I would go with casien or a blend. I will add if you have allergies to a particular food then obviously it should be avoided but generally speaking at Spencerulez BF and given he is in school and on a tight budget due to some unfortunate circumstances I would focus on a diet like this (He or anyone should see good initial progress) and really hit it hard in the gym with a good training program (a great one for bulking is Ian King’s -see link below:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459537&cr=

thanks.
just out of curiosity, it seems like 300g+100g protein, so 400g=1600cals =50%? so you were only doing about 3200?