HELP! College Friendly Meals?

Hi, I’m a 19 year old male college student trying to take my lifts to the next step. I’ve been reading forums, talking with bodybuilders and browsing whatever is available to figure out a good meal plan.

So far I’ve decided upon 1.5g per pound lean body weight of protein, 3 carbs per pound lean body weight, and fat is still up in the air (normally just as low as possible). I think I’m going to cycle the carbs on high/med/low days as well because it just seems to make sense.

So now I’m stuck with figuring out a solid grocery list. I will say I’m not a tuna/brown rice eater (i just can’t eat it), but I am good at consuming the same thing (if it tastes somewhat decent) over and over and over. So chicken has been placed so far on my list as my staple protein source along with tuna and my powder, but I’m struggling now with finding something for my vegetables and berries (yes I’ve thought of superfoods). I’m not a salad eater because I can’t stand the crunch of cold veges. So where do I go? What do I eat? Does anyone have some simple recipes that may help my current blank grocery list situation?

List of major sources of food so far:
chicken
tuna
pasta
tortillas
snider’s pretzels
no bake protein cookies (haven’t tried but they seem to be a good protein snack)
apples
bananas
stirfry vege mixes (no sauce and just veges/rice or noodles)
weight gainer (seems to be an easy carb/pro/cal source on days I need higher carbs)
maybe ground turkey… (just can’t figure out a simple plan for that one)

P.S. I don’t live in the dorms so I can cook meals.

Frozen Pizza

[quote]Defekt wrote:
Frozen Pizza [/quote]

Red Baron specifically

a can of refried beens on a tortilla. Costs about 70 cents. Carbs protein fiber.

Natty peanut butter, oats, eggs, nuts, canned salmon, canned beans

Carb cycling involves a lot of meal planning, I honestly wouldn’t bother. Eat a well-balanced diet – protein, plenty of carbs and healthy fats and you will be A-Okay.

I guess I’ll just try and maintain my protein/carbs first and see where it takes me. Thanks guys

[quote]Wis31 wrote:
Hi, I’m a 19 year old male college student trying to take my lifts to the next step. I’ve been reading forums, talking with bodybuilders and browsing whatever is available to figure out a good meal plan.

So far I’ve decided upon 1.5g per pound lean body weight of protein, 3 carbs per pound lean body weight, and fat is still up in the air (normally just as low as possible). I think I’m going to cycle the carbs on high/med/low days as well because it just seems to make sense.

So now I’m stuck with figuring out a solid grocery list. I will say I’m not a tuna/brown rice eater (i just can’t eat it), but I am good at consuming the same thing (if it tastes somewhat decent) over and over and over. So chicken has been placed so far on my list as my staple protein source along with tuna and my powder, but I’m struggling now with finding something for my vegetables and berries (yes I’ve thought of superfoods). I’m not a salad eater because I can’t stand the crunch of cold veges. So where do I go? What do I eat? Does anyone have some simple recipes that may help my current blank grocery list situation?

List of major sources of food so far:
chicken
tuna
pasta
tortillas
snider’s pretzels
no bake protein cookies (haven’t tried but they seem to be a good protein snack)
apples
bananas
stirfry vege mixes (no sauce and just veges/rice or noodles)
weight gainer (seems to be an easy carb/pro/cal source on days I need higher carbs)
maybe ground turkey… (just can’t figure out a simple plan for that one)

P.S. I don’t live in the dorms so I can cook meals.
[/quote]

Tuna-Rice-Garlic Salt. Got carbs and protein, and actually tastes pretty good.

I am in the exact same position as you. I’m just beginning to get my nutrition under control.

I buy a lot of steaks that are about to expire (ie next day) since they’re marked down a LOT, and freeze 'em. I know Prof X likes to cook them then freeze them, but I just put it on the counter when I go to classes in the morning and its just thawed when I get back. The grilling time is my “break” for the day.

I ate a 2.2 pound steak tonight for $4.

Regarding the veggies, try going to a farmers market and buying a lot of berries. I freeze them then and use them in my shakes.

You’re missing out on the salads; try adding grilled chicken breast to all of them? Warm the plate up? That’ll remove the ‘cold veg crunch’.

FWIW

Find a friend with a sams or costco membership. Get them to buy meat for you. 10 bucks for a 6 pound bag of frozen chicken breasts. They also have great deals on canned turkey, chicken, salmon, and tuna.