T Nation

Help Cheating

ok i have this nutrition class in which im supposed to list my daily diet for a week and then analyze it. Of course my diet consists of 8 meals a day focused on gaining weight, so it would be a pain in the ass to anaylze. Im wondering if anyone has a sample diet or knows where i can find one real quick that would leave me w/ a break down as follows:
15%protein
55%carbs
30%fat.
doesnt really matter how many meals or calories, so long as the numbers match w/ the percentages. i realize this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated. thanks

You really ought to be writing down and to some extent analyzing your diet anyway. Think of this as an opportunity, not as a chore to be side-stepped.

Take advantage of the damn class and analyze your diet. Why do you want a sample diet from this type of breakdown?

b/c according to “proper” nutrition guidelines my protein breakdown would be sky high. most nutritionists dont advocate 2g per lb of bodyweight a day. so for me that would be 500grams a day. then i would have to write a huge explanation of how my diet isnt right according to my teachers standards. ive already analyzed my diet a year ago when i started gaining weight, i just dont feel like trying to explain to my idiot prof. how he is wrong.

Why don’t you want to defend your diet to him? I would think that you would want to provide the research and the articles that support the high protein diet as it relates to BB. I know that there is conflicting data concerning this topic and it would be fun to go through the research and provide the class with something that is worthwhile. Who knows you might even learn something?? I thought that was what college was about; learning.

On a side note, 2g of protein/lb. of bodyweight isn’t necessary or optimal. Taking in more than 1.2-1.5g/lb. isn’t necessary or optimal. 500 grams? That’s insane. Take in 1.2g/lb(around 300g for you) and allocate the 800 calories from protein elsewhere.

[quote]Snoop wrote:
Why don’t you want to defend your diet to him? I would think that you would want to provide the research and the articles that support the high protein diet as it relates to BB. I know that there is conflicting data concerning this topic and it would be fun to go through the research and provide the class with something that is worthwhile. Who knows you might even learn something?? I thought that was what college was about; learning.
[/quote]

Yes but part of life and succeeding is to know your audience. More often than not college professors want THEIR ideas, musings, and positions told back to them on exams…regardless of what is right. A lot of folks in their ivory towers have Notion A that they support and they would not accept your paper on Notion B even if God Almighty himself was on of your primary sources.

Know your audience is a mantra for stand-up comedians everywhere. This is a shame, because it should be a mantra for everyone – knowing what your audience is looking for is the key to giving it to them. Like it or not you have to suck it up until you?re the one with all the cards, and while you are a student, the professor is the one holding that particular status. In grading there are few absolute truths. What you know, and what is right isn’t as important as what your teacher thinks is right. Knowing the truth isn’t the same as knowing what your audience wants to hear. Sometimes the Right answer is the Wrong answer. Learning and self improvement are personal goals which should be strived for out of self edification, not for a grade on a piece of paper.

Lothos, you’re correct in your assesment of many collegiate situations, however, the question is, should one pander? Should one go the easy route and sell their soul for a good grade?

There are more important things in life then garnering the praise of misguided academics. Have respect for yourself, and those who might read your work. Integrity is a commodity lost far too often in today’s times; traded for just about anything one can get for it.

Be a T-man and stand for what you believe in.

[quote]lothos wrote:
Snoop wrote:
Why don’t you want to defend your diet to him? I would think that you would want to provide the research and the articles that support the high protein diet as it relates to BB. I know that there is conflicting data concerning this topic and it would be fun to go through the research and provide the class with something that is worthwhile. Who knows you might even learn something?? I thought that was what college was about; learning.

Yes but part of life and succeeding is to know your audience. More often than not college professors want THEIR ideas, musings, and positions told back to them on exams…regardless of what is right. A lot of folks in their ivory towers have Notion A that they support and they would not accept your paper on Notion B even if God Almighty himself was on of your primary sources.

Know your audience is a mantra for stand-up comedians everywhere. This is a shame, because it should be a mantra for everyone – knowing what your audience is looking for is the key to giving it to them. Like it or not you have to suck it up until you?re the one with all the cards, and while you are a student, the professor is the one holding that particular status. In grading there are few absolute truths. What you know, and what is right isn’t as important as what your teacher thinks is right. Knowing the truth isn’t the same as knowing what your audience wants to hear. Sometimes the Right answer is the Wrong answer. Learning and self improvement are personal goals which should be strived for out of self edification, not for a grade on a piece of paper. [/quote]

This isn’t necessarily true. My senior year in college I took a philosophy class The Meaning of Life. The professor was a big time Christian whereas I am athiest. I did not and would not pander to him and write my essays supporting any claims that a transcendental being was necessary for life to have meaning or anything else. I got an A on every paper and an A in the class. You would be better served if you develop critical thinking skills the ability to read and comprehend primary literature sources, and the ability to apply them to situations in life rather than pandering to the audience.

ill tell u right now, if i took in 1.25-1.5 grams of protein per body mass i would not have gained the amt of muscle i did over the past couple of years. 500grams is alot, but granted someone who weighs 250lb is gonna be eating alot more protein then someone weighing 185lb.

also, i couldnt agree more w/ lothos. profesors these days dont want to hear how they are wrong, they want to hear how they are right no matter what. All i would get from trying to prove him wrong is a lousy grade along w/ “thanks for trying”. ya it sucks, but in the end u know whos right.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
Lothos, you’re correct in your assesment of many collegiate situations, however, the question is, should one pander? Should one go the easy route and sell their soul for a good grade?

There are more important things in life then garnering the praise of misguided academics. Have respect for yourself, and those who might read your work. Integrity is a commodity lost far too often in today’s times; traded for just about anything one can get for it.

Be a T-man and stand for what you believe in.[/quote]

I disagree, the question for me would be…is it worth it? Is this a research/thesis paper that is due to be logged in halls of academia, or is it just an assignment for the 3 hours credit course work as part of a bachelor degree ? If it is a higher pursuit, something like your PhD thesis then rock on - get started on the documentation and start defending your position until the bitter end. If the paper is just one of many chump assignments for a course to get your bachelor degree, then don’t worry about it. Is this kissing ass? no: it’s delivering on expected results. It is certainly not selling your soul. I’m sure he/she could not care less about the praise, they just want that expensive piece of paper they are tossing out big bucks for.

In the real world, fundamentally, effort means squat next to results. Results are king. As my friend Ben has said “if you want that history paper to get top marks, you’d better know that it’s over the Ark of the Covenant, and not Joan of arc. It can be the best Joan of arc dissertation in the world, you may have put more effort into this than anything else in your pesky, tenacious life, but if the teacher is looking for tablets and manna, crispy witches aren’t going to cut it.” While I agree with integrity, standing for what you believe, and being a T-Man; there are limits to all of our time and energy. I used to rail against everything, refusing to back down from any of my positions if I thought I was right. I have since learned that you have to pick your battles. I think part of being a T-man is learning how to prioritize that precious time and energy, and learning which fights are worth spending them on.

The assignment is to analyze, not to eat according to those guidelines. So plug everything in and get a good breakdown of how you really are eating for your own benefite, and tailor the write-up to what your prof. wants…don’t worry about changing his/her mind, just say stuff like “I was surprised that __% of my diet was protein, when ____'s guidelines suggest I should cut out ____ grams and replace them with ___.” You won’t come off as arrogrant but genuinely interested in changing your diet to conform to the rec’s so the prof will be happy, and you’ll still have an analysis of how you really eat.

I was lucky enough to have a nutrition professor who cut the carbs slightly, cut fat more, and bumped up protein, and acknowledged that this was for the general population not athletic-types.

[quote]
Snoop wrote:
This isn’t necessarily true. My senior year in college I took a philosophy class The Meaning of Life. The professor was a big time Christian whereas I am athiest. I did not and would not pander to him and write my essays supporting any claims that a transcendental being was necessary for life to have meaning or anything else. I got an A on every paper and an A in the class. You would be better served if you develop critical thinking skills the ability to read and comprehend primary literature sources, and the ability to apply them to situations in life rather than pandering to the audience.[/quote]

Huzzah and congrats for you. I mean hey great, you had an open minded professor who respected your well thought out view points. I have had many friends on the opposite end of that stick: Christians with an atheist professor that gave them horrible marks because they were, and I quote, “this paper deserves a D since it is obvious you lack the capacity to see past your upbringings dogma.” It would be interesting to see if you kept your position, refusing to pander if your papers consistently got a D or F. Hey maybe you would have stuck to your guns, and if you would have because you believed it was important enough- I salute you, you chose that particular battle.

Critical reading, writing, and all that jazz is great but it ultimately falls short if you fail to reach your target audience. You could be the greatest thinker of this age with a prodigious intellect, but if you are trying to run for an office as a democrat and tell folks at your rallies that you espouse libertarian principles, you are not getting elected no matter how well though out your positions are. Again - results are king. It is about priorities and which battles are worth fighting regardless of whether you win or lose. Would I treat a black co-worker like crap because I have a Klan member as a boss? No, I would fight him on that position and may even lose my job over it because it is worth fighting in my opinion. Now if my boss is adamant that all his coders produce code written in 10 lines, but I think 4 should be enough, I will probably not fight that battle because my job is more important to me than that battle is worth fighting.

[quote]lothos wrote:

Critical reading, writing, and all that jazz is great but it ultimately falls short if you fail to reach your target audience. You could be the greatest thinker of this age with a prodigious intellect, but if you are trying to run for an office as a democrat and tell folks at your rallies that you espouse libertarian principles, you are not getting elected no matter how well though out your positions are. Again - results are king. It is about priorities and which battles are worth fighting regardless of whether you win or lose. Would I treat a black co-worker like crap because I have a Klan member as a boss? No, I would fight him on that position and may even lose my job over it because it is worth fighting in my opinion. Now if my boss is adamant that all his coders produce code written in 10 lines, but I think 4 should be enough, I will probably not fight that battle because my job is more important to me than that battle is worth fighting. [/quote]

Well if I were to choose to become a politician then pandering to my audience would be paramount to being successful. Fortunatly I am not in that business.

As far as appeasing the boss’ desire to see codes written in 10 lines instead of four, I would most likely fight him/her on it since it is less efficient! I wouldn’t jeapordize my employment over the issue but I would do my very best to enlighten the individual. Who knows you may get the number reduced to 7!

I agree as far as picking your battles is concerned. SOme fights are not worth the time and effort involved. I am guilty of expending far more energy fighting some things than what it would have taken just to do what was asked of me, furhtermore I have lost those battles and had to do it anyway!I derive some amusement out of fighting inane systems within my company even though I often lose!

I agree that results are king. My line of work is all about results.

[quote]Bootsie wrote:
ok i have this nutrition class in which im supposed to list my daily diet for a week and then analyze it. Of course my diet consists of 8 meals a day focused on gaining weight, so it would be a pain in the ass to anaylze. Im wondering if anyone has a sample diet or knows where i can find one real quick that would leave me w/ a break down as follows:
15%protein
55%carbs
30%fat.
doesnt really matter how many meals or calories, so long as the numbers match w/ the percentages. i realize this is a long shot, but any help would be appreciated. thanks[/quote]

I understand where you’re coming from I recently had to do this assignment–do yourself a favor and lie. 3 meals a day, your breakdown sounds about right (keep in mind the “new pyrymid”), do a google search for a diet (be sure to change some of it!) and you should be all good. You have to choose your battles and in this case I’d battle for your grade, rather than what’s “best” to eat.

Yes you would’ve gained the muscle mass. Unless you used pro-hormones or steroids, the extra protein won’t accelerate muscle gain. If you eat enough total calories AND protein, you will grow. Eating more than 1.5g/lb. of bodyweight is unnecessary. You will gain the same amount of muscle having the calories come from carbs&fats.

“Eating more than 1.5g/lb. of bodyweight is unnecessary. You will gain the same amount of muscle having the calories come from carbs&fats”

I dont think replacing my protein calories with fat calories will result in the same amount of muscle mass. However, i do agree that i could up my carbs.

heres the deal.

here is a fun idea… write the paper like so

"after analyzing my macronutrient ratio i have found that i may have been eating far too much protein and could have been better served by distributing my calories to cherios and special k because they are part of a recomended healthy diet.1 however it can be noted that some sources would point otherwise. 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10

the numbers are your end notes. number 1 would be your lame text book or maybe even a direct reference to a note or quote made in class. 2-10 would of course be the otherwise. could be pretty funny if presented in the right maner.

there is nothing wrong w/ eating plenty of fat. A diet w/ roughly 20-30% of calories from fats is great. Make sure to get in plenty of EFAs and since you’re 250, you can sure consume plenty of other healthy fats. You’re missing the point. It’s unnecessary to consume 500g of protein a day. As long as your total amount of calories is high enough to support growth and you eat over 1g of protein per pound, you will be fine. Eat 1.25-1.5g per pound if you like, but eating any more is pointless. Getting the calories from healthy fats will be fine. Same as w/ carbs.