Help Bulking?

I put on almost 2lbs from Monday to today (can’t tell if it’s fat or muscle.) Am I eating too much food, or is this a positive development?

Paralysis by anylisis.

You’re too smart for your own good. Quit over-analyzing everything and just EAT and LIFT, it’s not rocket science.

You’re 15. Agonizing over every macronutrient will get old fast, and at your age it shouldn’t be a concern. Protien is the only thing you should make sure of, then eat your carbs and fats not worrying about exact amounts.

Also, if your goal is max muscle, then worrying about fat gain will get you nowhere, because it comes with the territory. So if your abs start to look smothered, don’t worry about it.

If you want to keep an eye on your weight; make sure you weigh in at the same time with the same amount of food consumed previously.

Weighing in first thing in the morning and then two weeks later right after dinner is not an accurate representation.

Do it in the morning; first thing right along with the first piss of the day. Put the scale right near the toilet if its not nearby already.

If you wanna grow any muscle your going to need a calorie surplus! I know you wanna loose a little of the baby fat and you will, but give it time Focus on getting stronger on all your lifts and eating 5-6 Good meals a day with lots of protein healthy fats and mostly vegies as your carbs! You should lean out as you progress!

PS: as Laroyale said ditch the soy your hormones need to get strainted out as you seem to be storing a little fat around your chest bassed on your pictures in your profile not much but it is noticable! And fat stored in this region is a sighn of elevated estrogen and soy isnt helping you in that regard as it is proven to elevate estrogen producting which will not help you get any leaner! But you are very young and got lots of time so get to it bro hope everything works out for you! I’ll leave you with 1 thing to think about. If your not pushing yourself to the point that your last couple reps and just Hell on earth YOU ARENT WORKING HARD ENOUGH! So go balls to the wall and be sure and keep reading!

(Oh yah get a decent protein supp and FISH OIL ASAP)

[quote]Dave.F wrote:
If you wanna grow any muscle your going to need a calorie surplus! I know you wanna loose a little of the baby fat and you will, but give it time Focus on getting stronger on all your lifts and eating 5-6 Good meals a day with lots of protein healthy fats and mostly vegies as your carbs! You should lean out as you progress!

PS: as Laroyale said ditch the soy your hormones need to get strainted out as you seem to be storing a little fat around your chest bassed on your pictures in your profile not much but it is noticable! And fat stored in this region is a sighn of elevated estrogen and soy isnt helping you in that regard as it is proven to elevate estrogen producting which will not help you get any leaner!

But you are very young and got lots of time so get to it bro hope everything works out for you! I’ll leave you with 1 thing to think about. If your not pushing yourself to the point that your last couple reps and just Hell on earth YOU ARENT WORKING HARD ENOUGH! So go balls to the wall and be sure and keep reading!

(Oh yah get a decent protein supp and FISH OIL ASAP)[/quote]
I don’t know what you mean by “keep reading”. If you mean the articles then that’s the last thing he needs to do.

[quote]ronaldo7 wrote:
Dave.F wrote:

PS: as Laroyale said ditch the soy your hormones need to get strainted out as you seem to be storing a little fat around your chest bassed on your pictures in your profile not much but it is noticable! And fat stored in this region is a sighn of elevated estrogen and soy isnt helping you in that regard as it is proven to elevate estrogen producting which will not help you get any leaner! But you are very young and got lots of time so get to it bro hope everything works out for you! I’ll leave you with 1 thing to think about. If your not pushing yourself to the point that your last couple reps and just Hell on earth YOU ARENT WORKING HARD ENOUGH! So go balls to the wall and be sure and keep reading!

(Oh yah get a decent protein supp and FISH OIL ASAP)
I don’t know what you mean by “keep reading”. If you mean the articles then that’s the last thing he needs to do.
[/quote]

I mean keep training hard eating well and reading the articles on this site to further educate himself about the sport of lifting and the in’s and out’s of dieting

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=2305084

[quote]Dabba wrote:
[/quote]

That was very helpful - thank you. I’m going to stop counting calories, eat a shit-ton and stay on Rippetoes.

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
Dabba wrote:

That was very helpful - thank you. I’m going to stop counting calories, eat a shit-ton and stay on Rippetoes.[/quote]

You’re welcome lol.

Dabba wrote:

That was very helpful - thank you. I’m going to stop counting calories, eat a shit-ton and stay on Rippetoes.[/quote]

It’s hard to know how much you’re eating in the beginning, so if you stall out on weight gain for a week or more, then keep a log for a day and make sure your getting enough calories in. Otherwise, there is no need to count calories when gaining. And good luck, you seem like a very intelligent guy.

[quote]Dabba wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
Dabba wrote:

That was very helpful - thank you. I’m going to stop counting calories, eat a shit-ton and stay on Rippetoes.

It’s hard to know how much you’re eating in the beginning, so if you stall out on weight gain for a week or more, then keep a log for a day and make sure your getting enough calories in. Otherwise, there is no need to count calories when gaining. And good luck, you seem like a very intelligent guy. [/quote]

Okay, thanks for the advice on gaining - that answers one of my questions. The other - should I be concerned about putting on fat? I recognize it comes with the territory, but it seems like so far I’ve put on a bit more fat that muscle. Should I just intensify my workouts or not sweat it?

Dabba wrote:
blue_star_cadet wrote:
Dabba wrote:

It’s hard to know how much you’re eating in the beginning, so if you stall out on weight gain for a week or more, then keep a log for a day and make sure your getting enough calories in. Otherwise, there is no need to count calories when gaining. And good luck, you seem like a very intelligent guy.

Okay, thanks for the advice on gaining - that answers one of my questions. The other - should I be concerned about putting on fat? I recognize it comes with the territory, but it seems like so far I’ve put on a bit more fat that muscle. Should I just intensify my workouts or not sweat it?[/quote]

Use common sense. If the fat you’re putting on is too much in comparison to the muscle you’re putting on, then you need to change the amount/types of food you’re eating. If the goal is to gain a lot of muscle mass, then you’re MOST LIKELY going to have to accept at least a little fat gain. Everyone is different though. For example, when I first started I got leaner and gained a lot of muscle within the first 2-3 months of seriously training. You might find that you need to put on some fat to gain muscle just to make sure that you’re eating enough. Short answer: Don’t sweat it.