Help Bulking?

I’m 15, 165 lbs, 5’7.5 and 14.5% body fat. Right now I’m trying to bulk up with minimal fat gain to 185, with an eventual goal of 200 or 220. I’ve started Rippetoes, plan to take advantage of newbie gains and should be taking in 3000 to 3500 calories a day, my BMR being 1850 or so. Additionally, I’m aiming for 160+ grams of protein a day.

However, I did an actual food log yesterday and I’m only taking in about 2300 calories a day (I was way off) and 133g of protein a day (although I took a shake late at night, boosting up to about 160 or so.) This is a typical day’s worth of food for me, although the Subway is only a few days a week and is usually a chicken breast. I often replace some of the chicken with wild salmon or other fish. Everything is in calorie/protein/carb/fat/fiber format.

BREAKFAST

1/3 cup blueberries (40g), 130cal/1g/31g/0g/2g
3 scoops soy protein powder (34.5g), 165cal/34.5g/2.25g/0g/2g
1 cup oatmeal (80g), 300cal/5g/54g/3g8g
2 whole eggs (100g), 160cal/12g/0g/9g/0g

LUNCH 1

6" Subway tuna sandwich (250g), 530cal/22g/31g/31g/5g

LUNCH 2

6" Subway tuna sandwich (250g), 530cal/22g/44g/31g/5g

DINNER 1

1 chicken thigh (113g), 130g/20g/0g/8g/0g
2 sweet potatoes (200g), 206cal/2g/48g/0g/4g
1 green beans (113g), 35cal/2.1g/8,1g/0g/4g

DINNER 2

DINNER 3

1 cup of Silk soymilk (110g), 110cal/7g/8g/5g/1g

Before I started lifting, I thought I was taking in 2500-3000 calories a day. Evidently not, because this is the most I’ve been eating in my entire life (without gorging or going over my recommended rate.) Does anyone have any advice on bulking w/ minimal fat, how to get bigger? Whatever works and doesn’t work for you - thanks!

[quote]blue_star_cadet wrote:
I’m 15, 165 lbs, 5’7.5 and 14.5% body fat. Right now I’m trying to bulk up with minimal fat gain to 185, with an eventual goal of 200 or 220. I’ve started Rippetoes, plan to take advantage of newbie gains and should be taking in 3000 to 3500 calories a day, my BMR being 1850 or so. Additionally, I’m aiming for 160+ grams of protein a day.

However, I did an actual food log yesterday and I’m only taking in about 2300 calories a day (I was way off) and 133g of protein a day (although I took a shake late at night, boosting up to about 160 or so.) This is a typical day’s worth of food for me, although the Subway is only a few days a week and is usually a chicken breast. I often replace some of the chicken with wild salmon or other fish. Everything is in calorie/protein/carb/fat/fiber format.

BREAKFAST

LUNCH 1

LUNCH 2

DINNER 1

DINNER 2

DINNER 3

Before I started lifting, I thought I was taking in 2500-3000 calories a day. Evidently not, because this is the most I’ve been eating in my entire life (without gorging or going over my recommended rate.) Does anyone have any advice on bulking w/ minimal fat, how to get bigger? Whatever works and doesn’t work for you - thanks![/quote]

Welcome to T-Nation forums, you will find a lot of great information in here! I learn something new everyday on this site and I have been training for a long time. On to your question.

First, DITCH THE SOY PROTEIN!!!

Reason 1 - Toxicity
Reason 2 - Potential hypothyroidism
Soy contains goitragens, which are compounds that lead to hypothyroidism (this equals poor use of protein and slow metabolism)
Reason 3 - Blocking mineral absorption
Soy has a high content of phytates, which are known to inhibit the absorption of both macro-minerals (i.e. calcium) and trace minerals (i.e. zinc). (this equals low testosterone and bone loss)
Reason 4 - Increased cardiovascular load
Hemaglutinin is found in soybeans. This compound is known to make red blood cells aggregate, therefore increasing your cardiovascular load
Reason 5 - Soy contains 80times more maganeese than breast milk and too much of this mineral can be neurotoxic.

I ave posted through the site about some of my thoughts on diet so you can have a better sense of my approach. There are some great articles on the web site which include sample plans too, I would look at those.

I am also not big on breads because they carry an acid load in the bloodstream which results in poor digestion and poor nutrient uptake as well as potential loss of bone calcium to balance out ph.

I appreciate that you took the time to post your diet and you have clearly done some reaearch on it as I see the kcal totals listed but, I would recommend going baack to the drawing board.

I will give you a little bit of a head start here:

Meal 1
4oz lean sirloin 2 whole omega 3 eggs 1/2 cup blueberries
1 serving Oatmeal
Meal 2
Shake
mix 1 1/2 scoops Metabolic Drive (I like the banana for this recipie) with 1 cup frozen broccoli/cauliflour 1/2 c cup frozen organic mango 1T whole flax seeds
Meal 3
7oz lean meat large salad with balsamic dressing 12oz H2o with lemon
Meal 4
shake like meal 2 except sub strawberries
Meal 5
7oz fish 2 cups steamed broccoli
Meal 6
7oz turkey large salad with balsamic H20 with lemon.

Pre workout
Surge
During Workout
BCAA
Post wokout
Surge

This is not written in stone but rather a model to go by. I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Best of luck in your pursuits!

However, I did an actual food log yesterday and I’m only taking in about 2300 calories a day (I was way off) and 133g of protein a day (although I took a shake late at night, boosting up to about 160 or so.) This is a typical day’s worth of food for me, although the Subway is only a few days a week and is usually a chicken breast.

Before I started lifting, I thought I was taking in 2500-3000 calories a day. Evidently not, because this is the most I’ve been eating in my entire life (without gorging or going over my recommended rate.) Does anyone have any advice on bulking w/ minimal fat, how to get bigger? Whatever works and doesn’t work for you - thanks![/quote]

Eat/Eat/Eat/Eat/Lift/Eat/Eat/Sleep/Repeat.

You already know what you need to do, eat. Don’t worry too much about calculations that predict your BMR, they tend to be very generalized and are of little use one a baseline is established.

Pick a calorie total, say 3000 kcals; now, eat at that level for 2 weeks, if your weight did not increase after 2 weeks, spend the next two weeks at 3500, etc. until you start to gain weight.

If you find yourself gaining too much fat bring the calories back down a few hundred until you find a comfortable 2-300 kcal surplus. That is what you are looking for, a surplus, but not one that is excessive and leads to unnecessary fat gain.

To make this a little more easy on you as oppose to changing your whole diet…

BREAKFAST

[/quote]

Replace soy protein with a whey/casein/egg blend. Also, I don’t think 1/3 cup of blueberries is 130cal. Maybe you are eating sweetened? Eat plain blueberries. Eat a whole cup.

LUNCH 1

LUNCH 2

[/quote]

Most people will advice against subway due to it being mostly processed. But whatever. If you are trying to bulk up, and eating a sandwhich from there helps you get calories, whatever.

DINNER 1

[/quote]

Simply add another chicken thigh. Easy enough.

DINNER 2

[/quote]

Once again, add another chicken thigh.

DINNER 3

3 scoops soy protein powder (34.5g), 165cal/34.5g/2.25g/0g/2g[/quote]

And now, back to the soy. Ditch it. Maybe drink a shake with a protein blend and some natural peanut butter. At this point in the day, if you feel you are low on calories, feel free to eat peanut butter by the spoonful… or almonds by the handful, etc.

Edit: And if you feel like you aren’t gaining after this… simply increase portions. Add an extra egg in the morning. Eat a handful of nuts with your lunch, or add a piece of fruit, etc.

[quote]gabex wrote:

blue_star_cadet wrote:
BREAKFAST

Replace soy protein with a whey/casein/egg blend. Also, I don’t think 1/3 cup of blueberries is 130cal. Maybe you are eating sweetened? Eat plain blueberries. Eat a whole cup.

blue_star_cadet wrote:
LUNCH 1

LUNCH 2

Most people will advice against subway due to it being mostly processed. But whatever. If you are trying to bulk up, and eating a sandwhich from there helps you get calories, whatever.

blue_star_cadet wrote:
DINNER 1

blue_star_cadet wrote:
DINNER 2

blue_star_cadet wrote:
DINNER 3

And now, back to the soy. Ditch it. Maybe drink a shake with a protein blend and some natural peanut butter. At this point in the day, if you feel you are low on calories, feel free to eat peanut butter by the spoonful… or almonds by the handful, etc.

Edit: And if you feel like you aren’t gaining after this… simply increase portions. Add an extra egg in the morning. Eat a handful of nuts with your lunch, or add a piece of fruit, etc. [/quote]

I guess I do get a little carried away sometimes -LOL- this is good advice as we both said DITCH THE SOY!!! oh yeah did I mention you might want to DITCH THE SOY!!!

I would say that by eating enough and lifting with intensity, you should be fine. Eat protein with all your meals and keep most of your carbs in the AM and around your workout. On days that you don’t lift, do some cardio. I think simplicity is key to sticking with a plan. I was counting and measuring everything before…when trying to lose some fat it’s not a bad idea but when you are trying to build muscle it can get annoying to be so specific with everything. Make sure you get your calories everyday from mostly whole foods, eat some veggies and fruit and make sure you are getting plenty of good fats.

Good luck.

Lots of good advice here, I won’t belabor it. One thing you might want to think about, though, is to look for places where you can “sneak” calories. Try to sneak a tablespoon of peanut butter into a shake. Try to sneak a T. of olive oil into a yam. You get the idea. 100 kcals over 6 meals a day add up to a lot.

[quote]geispoage wrote:
Lots of good advice here, I won’t belabor it. One thing you might want to think about, though, is to look for places where you can “sneak” calories. Try to sneak a tablespoon of peanut butter into a shake. Try to sneak a T. of olive oil into a yam. You get the idea. 100 kcals over 6 meals a day add up to a lot. [/quote]

Butter and bacon go with everything; trust me.

Natural peanut butter is great.

Also, try mixing it up with some turkey, wild salmon, and free-range buffalo. Shoot for 8oz/200g of each.

[quote]laroyal wrote: Welcome to T-Nation forums, you will find a lot of great information in here! I learn something new everyday on this site and I have been training for a long time. On to your question.

First, DITCH THE SOY PROTEIN!!!

Reason 1 - Toxicity
Reason 2 - Potential hypothyroidism
Soy contains goitragens, which are compounds that lead to hypothyroidism (this equals poor use of protein and slow metabolism)
Reason 3 - Blocking mineral absorption
Soy has a high content of phytates, which are known to inhibit the absorption of both macro-minerals (i.e. calcium) and trace minerals (i.e. zinc). (this equals low testosterone and bone loss)
Reason 4 - Increased cardiovascular load
Hemaglutinin is found in soybeans. This compound is known to make red blood cells aggregate, therefore increasing your cardiovascular load
Reason 5 - Soy contains 80times more maganeese than breast milk and too much of this mineral can be neurotoxic.

I ave posted through the site about some of my thoughts on diet so you can have a better sense of my approach. There are some great articles on the web site which include sample plans too, I would look at those.[/quote]

I’m still not completely convinced about all of the anti-soy stuff that’s out there - I’m sure it has a negative effect in large quantities, but I’m almost done with the jar and plan on switching to whey. Additionally, goitrogens are also found in green vegetables (broccoli, turnips, Brussels sprouts) and haven’t been shown to negatively impact health unless you already have thyroid problems. Phytates are also used by your body to limit excess levels of minerals from accumulating in your body and may bind with minerals that feed tumors. I don’t know anything about hemaglutinin or manganese, but I’ve been taking in soy over my entire life with no ill side effects. Granted, I’ve only recently started ingesting it in large quantities, so I’ll keep an eye on my intake.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
I am also not big on breads because they carry an acid load in the bloodstream which results in poor digestion and poor nutrient uptake as well as potential loss of bone calcium to balance out ph. [/quote]

I would agree on that, I usually keep quite low on my bread count - Subway is an occasional thing, usually I try and stay under 100g of grains a day. Sometimes I use a slice of multigrain and peanut butter as a snack, with a bit of jam - I don’t think that’s much to worry about.

[quote]laroyal wrote:
I appreciate that you took the time to post your diet and you have clearly done some reaearch on it as I see the kcal totals listed but, I would recommend going baack to the drawing board.

I will give you a little bit of a head start here:

Meal 1
1 serving Oatmeal
Meal 2
Shake
mix 1 1/2 scoops Metabolic Drive (I like the banana for this recipie) with 1 cup frozen broccoli/cauliflour 1/2 c cup frozen organic mango 1T whole flax seeds
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Pre workout
Surge
During Workout
BCAA
Post wokout
Surge

This is not written in stone but rather a model to go by. I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Best of luck in your pursuits![/quote]

Thank you for the model diet plan, that’s definitely something I’ll aim for. How are Biotest’s supplements? I’ve been wary of them just from all of the exposure they recieve, but their whey looks pretty good. What are Surge and BCAA exactly?

[quote]Zagman wrote:

Eat/Eat/Eat/Eat/Lift/Eat/Eat/Sleep/Repeat.

You already know what you need to do, eat. Don’t worry too much about calculations that predict your BMR, they tend to be very generalized and are of little use one a baseline is established.

Pick a calorie total, say 3000 kcals; now, eat at that level for 2 weeks, if your weight did not increase after 2 weeks, spend the next two weeks at 3500, etc. until you start to gain weight.

If you find yourself gaining too much fat bring the calories back down a few hundred until you find a comfortable 2-300 kcal surplus. That is what you are looking for, a surplus, but not one that is excessive and leads to unnecessary fat gain.[/quote]

I actually put on two and a half pounds from Wednesday (when I was 165) to Friday, however, I ate and drank about twenty minutes before weighing myself, so I think that affected it (no shoes with training clothes on both times.) Today at the doctor’s, I was 170 lbs, with normal clothes and no shoes - that doesn’t seem right, as I haven’t been eating that much more. I want to say a difference between the scales? Thank you for the advice!

[quote]gabex wrote:

Edit: And if you feel like you aren’t gaining after this… simply increase portions. Add an extra egg in the morning. Eat a handful of nuts with your lunch, or add a piece of fruit, etc. [/quote]

I’m planning to swap out the soy for whey once I finish the jar (pretty close, actually.) They were dried blueberries, so maybe that accounts for it? Although I don’t think there were any additives… Again, Subway is not a daily thing for me, but recently I’ve been hitting it a couple times a week - aside from that, my diet is almost entirely whole and natural foods (still in high school and don’t have to pay for my own food yet! Yeah!) Will look into a large bag of almonds.

[quote]geispoage wrote:
Lots of good advice here, I won’t belabor it. One thing you might want to think about, though, is to look for places where you can “sneak” calories. Try to sneak a tablespoon of peanut butter into a shake. Try to sneak a T. of olive oil into a yam. You get the idea. 100 kcals over 6 meals a day add up to a lot. [/quote]

I use olive oil whenever I cook meat, but I’ll start upping the quantity. That sounds like good advice.

[quote]Moon Knight wrote:
Butter and bacon go with everything; trust me.[/quote]

Eeh, I don’t know about that - have you ever seen a Luther Burger?

[quote]Daemonion wrote:
Natural peanut butter is great.

Also, try mixing it up with some turkey, wild salmon, and free-range buffalo. Shoot for 8oz/200g of each.[/quote]

Yeah, definitely - chicken really does get dull. I actually eat quite a lot of wild salmon (Costco sells them in these delicious patties w/out additives or anything, and they taste amazing for frozen.) I developed a taste for turkey recently, and thank you for the buffalo recommendation. There’s a good place near me that actually stocks some, so I’ll try that out when I’m there.

For the next week, I’ll be at a law program at University of Cincinnati. I know they’ll feed me well, but should I stay with 5-6 meals a day? (I’ll bring a blender and some fruit, I have access to a minifridge.) And as I won’t be able to lift (I also have a injured wrist and a distinct lack of time while there), should I also cut back my calorie intake? I’m still trying to trim my body fat from 15%, although I know it’s not going to look too good without freshly grown muscle. Thanks!

[quote]laroyal wrote: I will give you a little bit of a head start here:

Meal 1
1 serving Oatmeal
Meal 2
Shake
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Pre workout
Surge
During Workout
BCAA
Post wokout
Surge

This is not written in stone but rather a model to go by. I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Best of luck in your pursuits![/quote]

Also, how is the broccoli with mango? That sounds dubious, but possibly delicious.

laroyal wrote: I will give you a little bit of a head start here:

Meal 1
1 serving Oatmeal
Meal 2
Shake
Meal 3
Meal 4
Meal 5
Meal 6

Pre workout
Surge
During Workout
BCAA
Post wokout
Surge

This is not written in stone but rather a model to go by. I hope this helps to point you in the right direction. Best of luck in your pursuits!

Also, how is the broccoli with mango? That sounds dubious, but possibly delicious.[/quote]

Funnily enough, when you add the frozen broccoli to the shake with the H20 and Mango you don’t taste it (I know that sounds awful when I write it -I found this one out by accident as I was in a hurry and just threw everything in there and drank it)

Would you guys recommend Metabolic Drive or Grow!? I’m planning on ordering some, but I’d like to know which is better. Also, is Superfood any good?

I found out I like cottage cheese - when is this best consumed, breakfast and dinner? Casein is delicious.

Grow! IMO doesn’t mix well with much (at least for the stuff I make) from a taste standpoint.

If you need an anytime slow protein, Metabolic Drive, if you need a faster digesting one Grow!

You’re fifteen years old and you’re going to law school? Good work.

You’re one of the most intelligent internet 15-year-olds I’ve ever come across.

Other than that, I have nothing to add except a good luck in both your workouts and schooling.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
Grow! IMO doesn’t mix well with much (at least for the stuff I make) from a taste standpoint.

If you need an anytime slow protein, Metabolic Drive, if you need a faster digesting one Grow![/quote]

I’m just aiming for something I can use throughout the day, I’m doing 5-6 meals and all of that stuff. Any recommendations? Also, is a pre/post-workout drink all it’s hyped up to be, and is it worth picking up Surge as well? Reviews of Surge, Metabolic Drive, Grow, Flameout and Superfood would be great from anyone who’s used them.

[quote]milod wrote:
You’re fifteen years old and you’re going to law school? Good work.[/quote]

No, I’m not that good. Just did a (terrible) one-week summer program with two mock trials. Still trying to recover from the food, it was bad enough that I just spent a week living off of cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter and jelly. Ugh…

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

Other than that, I have nothing to add except a good luck in both your workouts and schooling.[/quote]

Well, thank you. I appreciate that.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

If you need an anytime slow protein, Metabolic Drive, if you need a faster digesting one Grow![/quote]

I’m just aiming for something I can use throughout the day, I’m doing 5-6 meals and all of that stuff. Any recommendations? Also, is a pre/post-workout drink all it’s hyped up to be, and is it worth picking up Surge as well? Reviews of Surge, Metabolic Drive, Grow, Flameout and Superfood would be great from anyone who’s used them.

[quote]milod wrote:
You’re fifteen years old and you’re going to law school? Good work.[/quote]

No, I’m not that good. Just did a (terrible) one-week summer program with two mock trials. Still trying to recover from the food, it was bad enough that I just spent a week living off of cottage cheese mixed with peanut butter and jelly. Ugh…

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:

Other than that, I have nothing to add except a good luck in both your workouts and schooling.[/quote]

Well, thank you. I appreciate that.

Does anyone have input on coconut milk? I was thinking about mixing some into my oatmeal (along w/ walnuts, blueberries, protein powder and tsp. of honey) for the calories. I’m not too worried about the saturated fat, but is it worth trying out?

This is being cross-posted on at least two threads. Sorry for anyone who happens onto both.

How is this for an average daily intake? Should I bump up my calories, lower my carb intake, up my protein? That’s the most I’ve ever eaten (clean!) in one day, but it seems like I might need to go even higher to gain muscle (with the pre-requisite Rippetoes, of course.)