T Nation

Help Balancing EFA's

I've only recently fully jumped on the Berardi bandwagon and I'm trying to figure out how to balance my EFA's. I know you're supposed to get 1/3 saturated, 1/3 polyunsaturated (50% omega-3, 50% omega-6), and 1/3 monounsaturated. Does this mean balancing the calories or fat grams? Please take a look at my diet and help me balance it out:

Meal 1, 7 AM
2 scoops Biotest Metabolic Drive
1 cup oats
1/2 cup berries
1 banana
1 cup green tea (w/ stevia)

Peri- and Post-Workout, 9 AM - 11 AM
2 scoops Biotest Surge

Meal 2, 12 PM
6 oz chicken breast
1 cup brown rice (cooked)
8 oz green veggies

Meal 3, 3 PM
handful of spinach
1 omega-3 egg
1 cup egg whites
1 slice cheese
1 tbsp flax oil

Meal 4, 6 PM
6 oz salmon fillet
8 oz green veggies
1 tbsp EVOO

Meal 5, 8:30 PM
handful of spinach
1 omega-3 egg
1 cup egg whites
1 slice cheese
1 tbsp flax oil

Meal 6, 11 PM
1 cup cottage cheese, no salt
1/2 oz walnuts
1/2 oz almonds
1/2 cup berries

Balancing either fat grams or calories of fat should have the same effect...

Don't sweat the minor details too much, just shoot for a balance, if you know what I mean.

Um either it would be the same thing. One gram of fat no matter the variety has the same K/cal impact.

OK first dont get to damn anal about it aim to get a balance but hell NO one is perfect one day you may be a lil high in PUFA's next day a little high in MUFA's or Sats jsut aim to get close get a nice variety and dont over due one an a regular basis.

By looking at what you have I would say you may be shorting your self on sats. Those eggs will be low as will everything else.

another thing I would change would be the Flax oil. Id just use fish oil and get the GOODS (epa/dha) without the hopefull low rate conversion and then one the other serving of flax use Virgin olive oil. With that IMO you will ghet a better balance and save money as well

Best of luck dont go NUTS trying to get it PERFECT.

Phill

Hey Jo Jo, first, experts say that if you eat 2-3 servings of fish(salmon being the best) which I see on your meal plan, your getting adequate EFAs, not to mention your omega-3 eggs, which Ive never heard of....Im guessing they are fortified with extra Omega3?

but anyways, if your still worried about it, head to your local supp. store and pick up some Flax Oil, in my opinion Barlean's is the best, that gets you omegas 3-6-9 so with that you should definately be set, I do a shot of flax a day, but you can kick it up to two or three servings even

What if i wanted to supplement with fish oil capsules instead of the flax oil? About how many a day should I ake in with which meals?

I wouls suggest the Fish MUCH more than flax for various reasons. Most of which being that in the typical american/civilized diet you will have NO prob getting the 6's and 9's and to damn many of them and the 3's in flax have to be converted to the ever important DHA/EPA. That and read LL's latest works the jury is still out on flax and possibly harmfull phytoestrogens etc I do beleive it was.

Skip the middle man I make it easy and take 10 or more a day. Usually 4 Flameout and 6 others. That and walnuts, fish etc..

Great advice - a little ground flax is a good addition to your diet (mainly because of lignans and fiber), but don't waste your money on flax oil. Go for fish oil, and make sure you take it with vitamin E (which protects it as you digest it). Better yet, buy a fish oil that has vitamin E in every cap so it'll stay fresher - and keep it in the fridge.

The conversion rate from flax's ALA to useful EPA/DHA is extremely poor.

Just make sure you're getting your EPA/DHA omega-3s, and keep your monounsaturated fat (which should come mainly from extra-virgin olive oil) and saturated fat more or less balanced. Don't worry too much about being super exact about it. The omega 6s will creep in if you eat any kind of nuts or processed foods cooked with vegetable oil.