Help an Obese Noob

sorry, I asumed you were inactive, big basic lifts grouped together in supersets and trisets, work really well, the clean and press is one of the best of these. When you asume you make an ass of you and me, thats what my mom always said

Aloha Joshua,

Would be great to know what type of injury you have to the back. Was it ever diagnosed?

I would have to disagree with several people in that even when I first started my transformation journey at 400+ it was about some cardio and lifting. Granted, I had joined a gym and was working with a trainer…but we lifted. Yes, some cardio is great for helping to get started…HOWEVER…the more muscle you build, the more fat you will loose. You can’t build muscle without lifting.

Nutrition is going to be another key factor in your success. If you can afford it, I would suggest getting on Indigo, the full dose for the next three months. You can buy one bottle, than go on auto-ship, just for the Indigo and only pay $97.50 per bottle. It takes two bottles to cover the whole month. After your initial 8-weeks, you can drop the dose down so that you’re only getting one bottle per month. For me, with my unique medical problems, Indigo has been a huge factor in helping me loose all the weight I have.

I was thinking of all the things you could do with that barbell and plates…it’s hard to name just a few. One of the problems with exercises is that there are so many names for the same thing. There are ways to modify most exercises to work around any physical impairments you might have. I have learned how to work around many.

1. Floor Press - Chest - You can always position the bar on top of two chairs like you would inside a rack, and lift off from there.

2. Glute Bridges

3. Chair/Box Squats - Start light with just the bar or even just hugging a weight plate. Really focus on pushing back up through the heels.

4. Tricep OH Extensions can be done with a weight plate until you’re able to use the bar. You can also do these lying on the floor; arms straight up over chest…really focus on the depth by take the bar above the head down to floor and extended up from there. Part of my current program has me concentrating on the stretch of the Tricep…so intense

5. Sumo Deadlifts can be safely done without involving the the lower back. Not saying your lower back won’t be involved, but I … NEVER … feel my Deadlifts in my lower back. It really does come down to form, no matter a person’s size.

NOTE; without knowing what the back injury is hard to say if you can do this.

However, I have coached a 65-year old male with a herniated disc through Deadlifts in a step-down procedure by starting with Rack Pulls and he is now pulling from the floor. Dr. Hammer always tells me how he NEVER feels them in his back. If you don’t have a rack…no worries, make some boxes. I started his Rack Pulls at knee height and as he progressed the pins were set lower and lower. He does a combination of both and is pulling between 185-225lbs from just a year ago.

There are a number of mobility/corrective exercises that can help with the back problem. Eric Cressey has some great ones on his site. There are a number of articles on T-Nation that can help with this as well.

1. Stability Ball Wall Squats - this will help support the back

2. BB Single-Arm Rows - these are awesome.

3. Pullover’s - use the weight plates.

These are just a few, but again, I’m not a doctor. I have no idea what your back issue is and can’t say for certain if you can do the above.

T-Nation has some great video’s to assist you with learning different lifts. I would also suggest videos by Eric Cressey, John Meadows and John Romaniello, which can all be found on YouTube.

I hope this helps.

A hui ho.

[quote]joshua hudson wrote:
First I am 6’2 large frame fairly broad shoulders.
[/quote]
The guy in this picture came up as 6’2" 400, would you say that’s about right?

Here is the same dude trying out for Biggest Loser: (don’t know if he got on, maybe someone does)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzvNsc_fUDk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSZXm8vqgZ0

Slight issue, I have not been on the couch for years.I am actually a fairly active 400 pounder.Less than 4 months ago I was loading and unloading furniture at my old job.Now I have a physically easier job but I can still help you move If necessery.Thanks for the advise.[/quote]
As long as you have medical clearance then start a program. If you and your doctor think you’re ready for a workout program I don’t see the problem.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

No time? No time. You have no time? No time? Please either explain why, reword it, or understand that this is an excuse that’s keeping you obese.
[/quote]
^This^ seems to have been over looked but is worth repeating.

o.k inury…It has never been diagnosed even though I have been to the E.R several times for it over the last 10 years.A chyropractor once said he believed I had pulled a muscle inmy pelvis behind my hip.I hace rehabed it my self befor well enough to start the strong lifts 5x5.I had to quit the program because I lost my workout room.But at that time my injury was not bothering me.So I stopped lifting dug some holes for my dads orcherd ( yeah Im a country boy) and bam back pain returns.

What about my sled idea…strength training without bending over and picking something up?

my preferance would be clean and press starting with just the bar, maybe even for a few months before I start loading.My fear is that because of my big belly I will be doing more of a reverse curl rather than a clean.

The reason I say no time for a comercial gym is because I work long hours and believe that I owe my marriage as much time as I owe my workout or my job.This does not mean i will not exercise I will just be doing it at home.

o.k inury…It has never been diagnosed even though I have been to the E.R several times for it over the last 10 years.A chyropractor once said he believed I had pulled a muscle inmy pelvis behind my hip.I hace rehabed it my self befor well enough to start the strong lifts 5x5.I had to quit the program because I lost my workout room.But at that time my injury was not bothering me.So I stopped lifting dug some holes for my dads orcherd ( yeah Im a country boy) and bam back pain returns.

What about my sled idea…strength training without bending over and picking something up?

my preferance would be clean and press starting with just the bar, maybe even for a few months before I start loading.My fear is that because of my big belly I will be doing more of a reverse curl rather than a clean.

The reason I say no time for a comercial gym is because I work long hours and believe that I owe my marriage as much time as I owe my workout or my job.This does not mean i will not exercise I will just be doing it at home.

[/quote]

i work a part time job, go to school and spend 2 hours everyone night studying for exams. i still make it to the gym 3 days a week. but if you have a good home gym it could work well.

[/quote]

Why can’t you and your wife go to the gym together? Yes your marriage deserves as much time as your job, but really…training…that really only takes up one hour of a twenty-four hour period…that leaves another 23 hours to fit in marriage and job. Depending on how far the gym is from where you live…you can round that up to two hours for gym time, but really even those hours can be spent with your wife.

Getting fit is a family affair, its not one sided; getting fit includes both nutrition and training and you’ll only be successful if both of you are committed to it. I cannot imagine a spouse not supporting the other in their endeavors to live a more fit lifestyle.

o.k inury…It has never been diagnosed even though I have been to the E.R several times for it over the last 10 years.A chyropractor once said he believed I had pulled a muscle inmy pelvis behind my hip.I hace rehabed it my self befor well enough to start the strong lifts 5x5.I had to quit the program because I lost my workout room.But at that time my injury was not bothering me.So I stopped lifting dug some holes for my dads orcherd ( yeah Im a country boy) and bam back pain returns.[/quote]

So with no real cause of the pain, I would guess that you need to be doing some corrective exercises.

Your tire/sled idea is great. I applaud you for wanting to do a Clean and Press, but you can’t limit yourself. There is really no reason you can’t do some of the other things I have mentioned before, like the Floor Press, the Pullovers, the lying Tricep Extension…so many things you can do that take the back out of the picture.

I suggest working on the core…use a Stability ball for some core work, it will help support the low back.

In my opinion, if you limit yourself without looking at ALL the options, you are all ready defeating yourself.

I am actually a fairly active 400 pounder[/quote]
This leads me to think a change in diet will have the biggest impact. How were you eating, like, for the last few months?

Not trying to give you a textbook-perfect diet from the start, but If you cut the milk, it’d be even better. Eliminating pretty much any liquid calories, even skim milk, will go a long way towards dropping fat.

If you could find a way to get it accurately diagnosed so we don’t have to guess at what’s going on (and guess at a way around it), it’d be great. Especially since that’s obviously prone to reinjury. In the meantime, it’s just a guessing game.

General prehab/mobility work to keep the hips and low back healthy could help. Or it could just be a matter of dropping the first 50 pounds and then you’ll see it magically start to feel better. Were you this heavy, or close to it, when you first injured yourself?

Sled variations can be great cardio. Nick Tumminello has some cool ideas for using a tire here:

I’m as big a fan of the clean and press as anyone (cough, cough, The Biggest Exercise in Bodybuilding , cough), but I do think you’re trying to overinvest in this one exercise when a focus on figuring out a well-rounded routine will obviously be better overall. Could it be useful to incorporate it? Sure, but I wouldn’t try to make it the cornerstone of your training just yet. Unless, like we said earlier, you want to make it one of your concrete goals (in addition to dropping X amount of bodyweight/fat).

I agree with HT that it’s something you two could certainly do together, especially since your new meal plan will be a big part of your daily life. If you’re not actually training together (from experience, this doesn’t always work out well for both parties), you could at least be in the gym together each doing your own thing.

How much available time do you have for training each week? As in, not counting walks with the Mrs., could you fit in 3, 4, 5 workouts of about an hour each? If time is a commodity, we need to know how much you can spend before we figure out what to spend it on (the actual plan).

There is a lot of good info on here.

What I would suggest is…

1. Get a good checkup
  2. Eat clean
  3. Get at least 30 min of cardio in a day.
  4. Drink at least a gallon of water a day.

Heres the deal man

90% of weight loss is attrubed to diet
You didn’t get to 400lbs overnight and anyone that weighs that much is eating poorly and too many calories

calories determine weight
quality of food more determines composistion of that weight to correct cals

cardio is important but with weighing 400lbs walking is good untill you get your weight down to the 300lb range

don’t make excuses. If you do we will just call you a lame/lazy fat person. guess what fat people do? make excuses!! fit athletic people make it happen no matter what

fyi. I used to sell personal training at la fitness. we could always tell the people that wouldn’t make the transformations. they always had excuses and no matter what couldn’t live the healthy lifestyle. make it a point in life to make zero excuses for your diet lack of exercise. thats whats gotten you here in the first place. If you want to lose weight make it a point to eat 100% healthy 100% of the time until you get to a weight you want to be at. last year I had 4 unhealthy meals in an ENTIRE YEAR and lost 40lbs of fat with no loss in strength. in the position your in change is critical. if your really committed you would join a gym and get personal training. thats my take. your level of committment will determine your level of results.

just did my composition
weight:285lbs
bodyfat:17%

dave tate would be happy! beast mode!

Just do something! You’ll feel better, and be better. I know this from experience. If cleans make you happy, promise yourself you’ll do 3 sets 3 times a week. Get your body moving, make it habit and keep going it no matter what. You owe your wife a healthy husband–deliver. You owe it to yourself too.

My wife didn’t like the amount of time I spend in the gym until she had to deal with me after a week without the gym. I was grouchy, irritable etc., until I got back in there. I am a happier person if I workout.

The public gym thing is really not for me, nor is paying a trainer.I understand that some of you will equate this to lack of commitment, thats o.k I apreciate you anyway.You are entitled to your opinion.

I managed to scrounge up some plate load dumbbells along with a couple of steal solid dumbbells.

I have been doing some reading and am interested in the idea of working with them.I will start out light for a few months and then start loading gradually= about 10 lbs a weak.

On nice days I will pull the sled and throw stones, I have a 40,60, and 81 lb stone that I used to shot put around the yard.

So what about the notion that If I am dieting to loose fat I will not make significant gains in muscle and strenghth.Keep in mind I am not tring to look like a body builder, just a stout strong country boy.

The public gym thing is really not for me, nor is paying a trainer.I understand that some of you will equate this to lack of commitment, thats o.k I apreciate you anyway.You are entitled to your opinion.

I managed to scrounge up some plate load dumbbells along with a couple of steal solid dumbbells.

I have been doing some reading and am interested in the idea of working with them.I will start out light for a few months and then start loading gradually= about 10 lbs a weak.

On nice days I will pull the sled and throw stones, I have a 40,60, and 81 lb stone that I used to shot put around the yard.

So what about the notion that If I am dieting to loose fat I will not make significant gains in muscle and strenghth.Keep in mind I am not tring to look like a body builder, just a stout strong country boy.[/quote]

I applaud you for trying to use what you have available, public gyms can be a pain in the butt if you don’t find one that fits your personality. There is a group here in Hilo that meets together a few times a week and will train together and use whatever they have available. I have made my bootcamp room available to them on Friday evenings. Here is a link to their Facebook page so you can check them out.

I am definatly in need of better diet.For the most part I have been eating like a 400 lb fat butt looser LOL

Oh Yeah sweet tee,soda,noodles,pop tarts and thats not counting these darn holidays.

One problem…when I cut out breads alltogether I get rather nasty bathroom effect, very urgent and very unpleasant, a little like the stomach flu but not as bad.It would be worth it but I visit people in there homes for a living and usually rely on public bathrooms.

Well whatever it takes I will do it.I am not living like this any more.Monday night starts dumbbell clean and press 10 lbs each woo hoo.

I am definatly in need of better diet.For the most part I have been eating like a 400 lb fat butt looser LOL

Oh Yeah sweet tee,soda,noodles,pop tarts and thats not counting these darn holidays.

One problem…when I cut out breads alltogether I get rather nasty bathroom effect, very urgent and very unpleasant, a little like the stomach flu but not as bad.It would be worth it but I visit people in there homes for a living and usually rely on public bathrooms.

Well whatever it takes I will do it.I am not living like this any more.Monday night starts dumbbell clean and press 10 lbs each woo hoo.[/quote]

Cutting out ALL the bread might a bit overambitious man… I luv the bread. And you probably do too. Just lower your overall intake. Perhaps making the portions smaller might help? i.e. half a plate instead of 1 full plate, 3 spoonfulls instead of 5 spoons etc.

Well whatever it takes I will do it.I am not living like this any more.Monday night starts dumbbell clean and press 10 lbs each woo hoo.[/quote]

You should focus on cutting out those foods above, not bread.

Even with a B.Sc. degree, ACSM-CPT, and soon-to-be CSCS… I like to think I am more qualified than the average gym rat… but even I would be nervous to accept you as a client in your condition. PLEASE see qualified professionals before starting a program.

With that said, here’s my advice…
I would refer you to the ACSM Guidelines for exercise.
ACSM guidelines are generally ignored in these forums BECAUSE this site is centered around bodybuilding and powerlifting, not around basic health and fitness. But when it comes to general population, ACSM is the go-to organization, and you need to learn to walk before you run. This about your health, not your stats.
Look up the guidelines for cardio AND weight training. A balanced approach of 3-4 days/week 20-30 min program to start, progressing to a 5-6 day/week 40-60 min program.

(For scope of practice and ethical reasons) I must say I am not a dietitian or nutritionist. With that out of the way…
Split your plate into thirds. Make one part protein, one part vegetable, and one part starch/fruit/vegetable. Control your portions for every meal. This will leave you satisfied, and with a balanced, healthy meal.
As someone who loves food, I’ll give you an easy cheat. Eat as many green vegetables as you want, whether it’s a snack, or to add to a meal when you’re not satisfied. Broccoli, green beans, peas, celery, spinach, lettuce, any of it.
And don’t eat fast or frozen food.
Those simple rules will take you a long way, and not deprive you of anything.

Feel free to message me if I can help in any way.
Best of luck.