T Nation

Help After Years of Neglecting the Gym

After years of neglecting the gym, I have decided that enough is enough and I need to change. I just got a gym membership a couple of days ago and am going for my first time this afternoon. Just a little background, I'm a 29 year old female who, like I'm sure everyone's heard many times before, lose the extra weight around my midsection and thighs. Don't get me wrong, I'm not overweight by any means. I just want to feel comfortable in a bikini. I know all the basics like eating healthy, cardio, and all that jazz. First off, I hate running. So hopefully I can get my cardio in another form.

Along with losing some weight, I want to become stronger and more toned. When I used to go to the gym I hardly ever used the machines. I used the free weights all the time and I loved it. However, I can't seem to remember (or find) my notebook I used to use with all of my routines in it. So, if any of you have any good routines for me to use, they would be greatly appreciated. I plan on going 3-4 times a week, but it all depends on which routine I choose to use. Also, feel free to send me any good, healthy recipes. No fish though...icky... lol Thank you so much everyone and I'm looking forward to learning a lot from this site and becoming a healthier, stronger person!! :slight_smile:

Great to hear you finally made the jump. As far as cardio goes, you can get it from the bike or the rower, which are my two favorites if we are speaking of strictly "inside the gym" cardio options. I like sprints most though. I can handle running 60m or 200m sprints over and over. Once you get above half a mile I get bored out of my friggin mind.

A good mix of bike, rower, and 1-2 sprint days a week is great cardio for going along with weight training if you hate jogging.

As far as training programs go though, I am going to leave you on your own. No disrespect intended but you didn't try to do any real "leg work" of your own and we are not here to hand everything to you. There is a big search button up top--search for "beginner routine" or "athlete routine" or women weight training or something. There are tons of recipes here too. "powerful" women forum and "muscle sorority" forum have some, as does the Alpha cell. Again, search button will bring up tons good options.

We are here to help. We are not here, however, to do your searching for you. You are not a kid. If there are things that confuse you in the articles, problems you are having with your routine, don't understand technique, form, or anything else ask! We can even try to give you advice on which program to choose for yourself if you are trying to decide on a direction to go. We are happy to do that! We know there's tons of info that can get confusing. But please do your own searching for the basics that can be easily found. Again, no disrespect intended. Hope you have a good workout today.