T Nation

Help a Skinny Fat 16 Year Old

Hey guys, im in need of your help, Im 6’4" 175 pounds, last summer i was about 200 pounds and decided to cut, i did some weight training but i only have dumbells that go up to thirty pounds (ive never worked out a day in my life before this),

im now one of those kids with skinny arms and legs and a little bit of a belly i want to get rid of for good, my ultimate goal is to have a 6 pack but now i’ll go for 10% body fat (i dont want to get really huge) or atleast get tighter and not able to grab fat off my love handles or stomach, im willing to do whatever it takes, diet, gym and all.

A few guys before have told me to bulk up but im afraid that i’ll get fat again and then depressed because i’ve lost so much fat over the summer, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, im not going to quit in two weeks lol, if you guys have any questions for me, i’ll try to respond ASAP. thanks alot guys.

Lift heavy. Find someplace with barbells, a power cage, and a bench, and at least 300lbs of freeweights. Do starting strength and eat like a horse. You are 16 years old, if you lift to get strong, and eat like you’re starving, you’ll put on slabs of muscle. Do starting strength, and stop worrying about getting fat. At 6’4", you’ll have to put on a lot of muscle to look big. Take a look at Otep’s profile, http://www.T-Nation.com/myTNation.do?id=168291 he’s about your height and he looks like lanky bastard at 200lbs. This is your time to get put on muscle.

Here’s your entire plan:

-Eat clean and sensibly
-Lift progressively heavier shit

Forget about bulking or cutting. Nail some good eating habits and get strong.

For the at clean portion:

Lift progressively heavier shit:

read the stickies at the top of this forum.

[quote]my ultimate goal is to have a 6 pack but now i’ll go for 10% body fat (i dont want to get really huge) [quote]

Seriously…if you want to progress to looking good you need to drop this atitude. You say your arms are small now? what do you think will happen to them if you starve yourself? same goes to your legs, you will just look like you’ve been starved. From personal experience, trust me, you need to bulk so you have something to show when you cut.

oh btw…when we say bulk we dont mean go out and get obese. sure you will put on abit of fat but honestly at our height especially this shouldnt be a concern.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
here is your problem.

Where is the pizza, double cheeseburgers and weight gainer shakes in your diet?

You want to grow? Bare minimum of 4000 calories a day, I’m not fucking joking. Get rid of that “I’ve always been” mentality. I was a buck twenty at 5’8" less then two years later I hit 200 pounds. Look at those weights your using, how the fuck do you plan on squatting many plates per side without eating a shit ton of food? You will gain fat. Period.

But 220 pounds at 15-20 percent bodyfat and pressing, pulling, and squatting several plates for reps will look good as hell compares to your current physique.

Make it fucking happen.[/quote]

[quote]SkinnyFatNoMore wrote:
(ive never worked out a day in my life before this)…

A few guys before have told me to bulk up but im afraid that i’ll get fat again and then depressed because i’ve lost so much fat over the summer, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated, im not going to quit in two weeks lol, if you guys have any questions for me, i’ll try to respond ASAP. thanks alot guys.[/quote]

You don’t have to get fat again to make some excellent muscle gains. As a newbie you will gain muscle mass and you don’t need to go on the ‘see food diet’ to do it either. Eat clean and eat well, don’t forget you are still a growing boy and you need lots of energy just for that. The beginners 2 thread has a great list of nutrition articles to read. If you apply that knowledge you will be on your way.

Despite your newbie gains it takes a great deal of effort to ‘get really huge’. Nobody falls out of bed one morning accidentally bulging with muscle.

I also think your goal of a six pack is self defeating. I was a fat kid as well so believe me when I understand the burning desire to have the washboard abba dabbas, however if you make it your focus you will be doing yourself a disservice. Take a whole body approach to your aesthetic goals. If you work hard and keep your diet in check, not only will you lose body fat, you’ll actually look good as well.

Don’t join a gym unless you have the money. It’s expensive and you will want the money for other things. Use the facilities at your school or do it at home.

If you eat a lot of good food, and dedicate 30 minutes a day at home you can make great progress just using body weight exercises…pushups, squats, bulgarian squats, calf raises, lunges, pull-ups, crunches, etc. Do a little research.