Help a Noob with Nurition?

Hi, I’ve just gotten into lifting and eating right. I’ve been searching for the answer to this question all day but I haven’t been able to find it.

How I figure out how many calories are in X amount of a certain type of meat, and how do I figure out how many grams of protein are in an X amount of meat.

I’m sure this has been answered many times, but I’ve searched tens of pages of google results and used the T-Nation search program too but I hadn’t found anything.

I searched using key words such as meat protein value/calories value, how much protein is in meat, etc.

Could someone please direct me in the right direction?

This is the site I like:
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

There is also:
http://www.nutritiondata.com/

[quote]ccbl wrote:
Hi, I’ve just gotten into lifting and eating right.
Could someone please direct me in the right direction?[/quote]

Yeah, keep doing what you’re doing and see what results you get before you worry about the details.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
ccbl wrote:
Hi, I’ve just gotten into lifting and eating right.
Could someone please direct me in the right direction?

Yeah, keep doing what you’re doing and see what results you get before you worry about the details.
[/quote]

Ditto, make sure its lean and doesn’t drip with grease and just eat big and lift equally so.

If you really want to learn more, a key thing to look into is what kind of food to eat when.

Typically, whole-grains and complex carbs are the way to go throughout the day, but after you workout if trying to add muscle, simple carbs are the way to go.

It’s a combination of what to eat as well as when to eat it.

For a good source of info, check out The New Rules of Lifting (For Men).

Has a lot of decent material in terms of both how to lift when combined with a balanced diet, it breaks down what kind of foods you should opt for, has equations on roughly how many cals you should eat a day, and so on.

Best lifting book I’ve used to this day.

www.thedailyplate.com

You can search the huge database of type, brand, portion size and nutrient count of every food out there. Its like FitDay, only better.

And umm…when in doubt, read the damn label!!

Google: “X” nutrition facts

(Example: Chicken Nutrition facts)

Done, game over.