Help a Newbie Out Please

Hi everyone. Another newbie here looking for advice on my current nutrition / strength program. Here�??s the scoop…

Stats: 33 year old male
159 lbs.
5�?? 8�?? tall
Body fat UK. The calipers I ordered haven�??t arrived yet.
No medical limitations.

Short term goal: To lose this damn beer gut I�??ve gained over the years and to fully develop the muscles I already have at ~ 8 to 10 % body fat.

Long term goals: To weigh ~ 200 lbs. To maintain 8 to 10 % body fat. To lift massive amounts of weight, and of course be ripped.

Training history: 3 months on the Bill Phillips �??Body for life�?? program. Results were less than optimal because my diet was not strict enough. Beer is bad bad bad!
3 months now on the Strong Lifts 5X5 with a much cleaner diet ( I gather this is a variation of Rippetoe�??s beginning strength) Gains have been good over all although really slow on my flat bench press and pull ups.

My diet: Pretty much the same every day, but I do give myself one cheat day every other week.
Post workout shake, egg salad (fat free mayo) on wheat,apple,banana,chicken breast(rotisserie,no skin),mixed vegetables,lima beans,turnip greens,corn,peas and carrots,lean pork or beef(baked or grilled)Skim milk and fat free yogurt.
Grand daily total according to Fit Day: 2429 calories,41 % protein @ 219 g, 34% carbs @ 219 g, 25% fat @ 60 g.

My training program: m , w , f , 5x5 (squat,dead lift,rows,flat bench,overhead press,pull ups,chin ups, and dips. A B A , B A B
T, th, s, 20 min running / jogging. Tuesday HIIT / Thursday medium steady state , 85% max heart rate, Sunday light steady state , , 75% max heart rate.

The million dollar question: Is my diet / training on track to achieve my goals or is there something that needs to be modified???

Also, I know my goals will take years but out of curiosity how many? 2-3 ? 3-5? more?

All advice will be considered and appreciated! thanks

You did your homework. You’re already much farther along then most people who start threads here. You weigh 159 at a higherish bodyfat. You should be riding your newb gains still at this point. Stronglifts is a great program, keep doing it. Another variation is madcows 5x5. His website also has all sorts of neat information on it. I would bump the calories to 3k a day for now. You will never even get close to 200pounds at 2400 calories a day.

You need some healthy fats in your diet. For starters, nuts, EVOO, and fish oil, definitely fish oil.

EDIT: These foods are also an easy way to up your calories without increasing food volume very much.

Thanks for the tips guys. I forgot to mention tuna on wheat and a handful of mixed nuts here and there so I do get a little more healthy fat and calories than I mentioned. By the way, what part of Wisconsin are you from Zepphead? I spent 10 years in Green Co. (Monroe / Broadhead ) area years ago.

[quote]navag8ter wrote:
Thanks for the tips guys. I forgot to mention tuna on wheat and a handful of mixed nuts here and there so I do get a little more healthy fat and calories than I mentioned. By the way, what part of Wisconsin are you from Zepphead? I spent 10 years in Green Co. (Monroe / Broadhead ) area years ago.[/quote]

Sheboygan