T Nation

Help a Newbie Lose Spare Tire

Currently 12 stone, 5 foot 11, doing intense cardo for 1 hour a week, walking 10+ miles a week,small routine at home, moneys a bit tight restricting complete training and calorie consumption, i have a bowl of oats with protein powder or chicken salad sandwich on brown bread 40 mins ish before training and after.

Normally in a day i will probably have 5g creatine with a few chicken sandwiches and or bowl of oats, (like i said im working with money restrictions at present) Dropped from over 14 stone but still need to lose that little stomach tyre and get my abs strong behind to show threw. Any tips or ideas please, also am i timing my eating right and right to lose the tyre and not lose muscle.

What’s the small routine at home?

what kinda bread is my first question…i was in same boat as u (stil am :D) and bread is basically the enemy

especially white bread (pasta/rice/etc) i think if eating bread make it wholegrain,and rice brown and pasta same brown…

this is what i was told before elsewhere…

there ar good and bad carbs (complex/simple)

[quote]empenney wrote:
What’s the small routine at home?[/quote]

25kg dumb bells working 5x5 each arm, 30 sec rest, then both together and up above my head and eating only brown bread

eat some vegetables

sandwiches are an easy way to eat crappy

Try doing some dumbbell work more often.

For starters, here’s a simple two-day split:

DAY 1: UPPER BODY

1. Pushups: 3xsubmax reps
  2. Kroc Rows: Do one or two warm up sets, then set a new rep record on each side
  3. Dumbbell military press: 5x5, then 1xsubmax reps
  4. Dumbbell Shrugs: 2x submax reps
  5. Plank

DAY 2: LOWER BODY

1. Goblet Squats: 5x10
  2. 100 Walking Lunges
  3. Dumbbells Romanian Deadlift: 3x10
  4. 100 Calf Raises while holding dumbbells
  5. 100 Sit Ups

You need to do more, not less. Adding this routine in will put muscle on you and help you cut fat. If you’re unfamiliar with any of these exercises, search them out on Google before asking. Your success is in your hands now.

[quote]empenney wrote:
Try doing some dumbbell work more often.

For starters, here’s a simple two-day split:

DAY 1: UPPER BODY

1. Pushups: 3xsubmax reps
  2. Kroc Rows: Do one or two warm up sets, then set a new rep record on each side
  3. Dumbbell military press: 5x5, then 1xsubmax reps
  4. Dumbbell Shrugs: 2x submax reps
  5. Plank

DAY 2: LOWER BODY

1. Goblet Squats: 5x10
  2. 100 Walking Lunges
  3. Dumbbells Romanian Deadlift: 3x10
  4. 100 Calf Raises while holding dumbbells
  5. 100 Sit Ups

You need to do more, not less. Adding this routine in will put muscle on you and help you cut fat. If you’re unfamiliar with any of these exercises, search them out on Google before asking. Your success is in your hands now.
[/quote]

I second this as I a=m guessing you don’t have access to a gym.

More muscle = more fat burned.

Is that a bird on your pec?

tweet

[quote]Gr33ny wrote:

[quote]empenney wrote:
What’s the small routine at home?[/quote]
25kg dumb bells working 5x5 each arm, 30 sec rest, then both together and up above my head and eating only brown bread [/quote]
Your diet is terrible and your training is even worse.

For nutrition, do this:

Or this:

For training, look into complexes:

Some dumbbell complexes would be better than inefficiently playing around and doing too much of the wrong kind of cardio.

Or try out the dumbbell clean and press (or push press, depending on your strength):

I understand dealing with money issues, but it’s going to make things tons easier if you can either get a gym membership as soon as possible or try to get a better setup at home (a basic barbell set, at the very least).

I agree with Chris, that being said, looking at that pic of you I think you may be more satisified with the way you look if you just focus on getting bigger/stronger…