Help a HS Wrestler

hello everyone, this is my first time posting, and I need some help with wrestling. I wrestle at 125, and so far my record is 12-5.

The problem is that 4 of the matches that I lost were very winnable. Sectionals are next saturday, and I definitely think im capable of winning.

Often before tough matches however, im not mentally ready. Sometimes I’m extremely nervous, while other times im way too calm and cocky. Also, during matches, I over think things.

For example last weekend, I had an over under on a kid, and he was pushing in to me, I knew I could lateral drop him, but I didn’t because I though about it too for long.

I think that i wrestle best when i am relaxed and calm instead of psyched up, but i was wondering if taking spike would help.

It supposedly gives you great mental focus while also energizing you ( I definitely need that since 125 is well below my natural weight) and the mental focus would allow me to stop overthinking things.

thanks,

If you are getting occasionally nervous before fights, I wouldn’t recommend taking Spike. It might make you even more anxious and psyched up.

If you want to be calm and relaxed but focused at the same time, right before the match, try visualizing yourself dominating your opponent and defeating him. Take deep breaths and try to focus on the task at hand. Then when the match starts, go to work. Hope this helps.

I wrestled for 4 years, and you just need to find your zone.

It’s different for everybody, but I would pace back and forth and just concentrate on my match. Clear my head of everything except winning. “I can beat anybody, any team, any style. Pin anybody, never get pinned” That kinda stuff, pure confidence to the point of overconfidence. No room for failure.

You sound like a young wrestler so it’ll come with time, you just need to find your zone. Using supplements for that wouldn’t help I think, and I’d advise against introducing something new like that right before Sectionals.

Just get mentally tough.

[quote]berzerker4734 wrote:
I wrestled for 4 years, and you just need to find your zone.

It’s different for everybody, but I would pace back and forth and just concentrate on my match. Clear my head of everything except winning. “I can beat anybody, any team, any style. Pin anybody, never get pinned” That kinda stuff, pure confidence to the point of overconfidence. No room for failure.

You sound like a young wrestler so it’ll come with time, you just need to find your zone. Using supplements for that wouldn’t help I think, and I’d advise against introducing something new like that right before Sectionals.

Just get mentally tough.[/quote]

yeah get some self-confidence…