T Nation

Help a Diabetic Gain Muscle Mass

Hey everyone new to the forums. And for the last 6 months i have been hitting the gym hard. I have noticed that I have been gaining some muscle (arms chest etc) but i’m feeling like I could be doing more for my body to gain more muscle than I am. I am a diabetic, that is insulin dependent so any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Below is the regimine that I am on any help with that would be appreciated as well.

I am 5’11" and 160lbs I take a protein shake (Optimum nutrition Whey protein) 2 scoops after work outs. (should I be doing more?) also 4 fish oil pills a day. I would like to gain weight, while also put on muscles…any help would be greatly appreciated…

Diet? Routine? Diabetic for how long? Body fat?

Details details details.

Far as the diabetic thing goes, id discuss that with your doctor. Since insulin is one of the greatest anabolic hormones in the body, and since youre getting all of your insulin externally there could be ways to manipulate that in your favor. Obviously youd wanna discuss it with the doc though, since its pretty important that you dont accidentally kill yourself .

Weight gain (as muscle gain) heavily relies on having your diet spot on, and a smart routine full of compound lifts.

So you might as well post a full days worth of everything you eat + the lifting routine.

[quote]Grumpig Hunt wrote:

Details details details.[/quote]

For my diet, I pretty much eat 4 eggs in the morning with some turkey bacon and a protein shake with 2 fish oil pills. Lunch is basically a sandwich and some chips…and dinner can vary…My routine is an hour at the gym everyday after work everyday, nothing on the weekends. I workout various parts of my body depending on the day. And I have only been diabetic for about 3 years, I weighed 150 when I was diagnosed and no one knows why I got it. (nothing in the family background either) Bodyfat? I wish lol…i can’t gain weight for shit!.just a little bit in the stomach region other than that nothing…any help would be appreciated!

For my diet, I pretty much eat 4 eggs in the morning with some turkey bacon and a protein shake with 2 fish oil pills. Lunch is basically a sandwich and some chips…and dinner can vary…My routine is an hour at the gym everyday after work everyday, nothing on the weekends. I workout various parts of my body depending on the day. And I have only been diabetic for about 3 years, I weighed 150 when I was diagnosed and no one knows why I got it. (nothing in the family background either) Bodyfat? I wish lol…i can’t gain weight for shit!.just a little bit in the stomach region other than that nothing…any help would be appreciated!

[quote]clg82 wrote:

For my diet, I pretty much eat 4 eggs in the morning with some turkey bacon and a protein shake with 2 fish oil pills. Lunch is basically a sandwich and some chips…and dinner can vary…My routine is an hour at the gym everyday after work everyday, nothing on the weekends. I workout various parts of my body depending on the day. And I have only been diabetic for about 3 years, I weighed 150 when I was diagnosed and no one knows why I got it. (nothing in the family background either) Bodyfat? I wish lol…i can’t gain weight for shit!.just a little bit in the stomach region other than that nothing…any help would be appreciated![/quote]

You have a half assed diet, that looks absolutely NOTHING like someone trying to gain mass/muscle.

Gaining means more calories, more protein. If youre not gaining eat more.

Also post up your whole ACTUAL routine, not just “I work out for an hour a few times doing different stuff”

The more info you give, the more help youll get

A sandwich and chips for lunch, as an injecting diabetic. Have you bothered to do ANY research into your predicament? Get reading about glycemic index; for a start most breads (and indeed wheat products) have a higher GI than table sugar (71+ for white bread vs. 58-65 for sucrose), potato and corn chips are also not far off. As a diabetic, would you consider sitting there spooning table sugar into your mouth?

Consider ditching wheat products 100%, followed by dairy products. Read the nutritional articles on here and take the time to learn something for yourself rather than expecting somebody else to dish out all the answers.

So far, your diet is crap - protein shakes are NOT a wonderful magical way to build muscle, they are there to SUPPLEMENT the protein in your diet.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/

This is a really useful site for nutritional data. If you need help determining glycemic loads, you will find that here.

I am a type 1 diabetic and have been for 22 years. How old are you and what is your realistic fat percentage?

Eat four meals a day.

At every meal eat:

• a large portion of meat or whole eggs
  • a large portion of veg
  • a large portion of rice/potatoes/other generally accepted carb

Hit at least 1.5grams of protein per lb of bodyweight over the course of the day split into your four meals. Never have a meal without the large portion of vegetables; eat loads of them, they’re good for you. Change the amount of carbs that you eat during the day depending on whether you’re gaining/losing weight as desired. Try to keep most of your carbs before/during/after your workout, if you want you can ditch the carbs in another meal to make up for this.

Once you have this simple way of eating sorted then think about having a peri-workout protocol where you have a fast acting protein and a fast acting carbohydrate 20-30 minutes before and during your workout.

EDIT: Sorry but I cannot help you on the diabetic issue. If what I have said clashes with anything you can’t do then edit it to suit your needs, but don’t stray too far from the basic principles.

Honestly, you need to speak to a registered dietician/nutritionist that has a LOT of experience working with diabetics. The normal rules that normal people don’t apply the same way to you. The advice people would give on how to eat do not apply the same way to you. Your entire system of absorbing nutritients is completely different than the rest of us.

You need to speak to someone who knows how to handle this. Don’t play around with it, very bad shit can happen.

I believe shelby starnes has diabetis, and has worked with a lot of people with it. Maybe check him out.