T Nation

Help: 9% BF by July

Well like the title says I need a little help achieving a goal of mine. I’m going on vacation in July and need to get in some better shape. I’m not too far gone though. I have been lifting seriously for 1.5 years off and on, last 7 months has been consistent. My current stats are:

height: 6’0"
Weight: 180lbs.
body fat: 12%

I currently lift to this schedule:
Monday: Legs
Tuesday: Biceps and abs
Wednesday: chest and triceps (soccer night)
Thursday: back and traps
Friday: shoulders
Saturday: Light Cardio
Sunday: off

Usually I aim for a total of 18-24 sets spread out over 4-6 exercises.

Diet:
Breakfast: 3 whole egg omelet with peppers, onions, potatoes and cheese and 1 glass of whole milk
Midmorning snack: 1 cup roasted almonds with detour protein bar. (I know protein bar, but the best i can do where I work)
Lunch: 2 cans tuna, baked potato, green beans
preworkout: protein shake with peanut butter
Postworkout: protein shake and pasta
Dinner: 2 whole grilled chicken breast or some lean beef, salad and sweet potatoes.

Usually I throw in some almonds or some fruit in between meals when I’m feeling hungry.

My goals by July is to hold roughly a 9% body fat and weigh around 190lbs. Does this seem attainable given my workout and diet? If not, could you please make suggestions as to what I should change. Any help will be great and if you need any more information let me know.

If you are 12% bodyfat you possess 158.4lbs of lean mass and 21.6 lbs fat. To weigh 190 at 9% you need 172.9lbs lbw and 17.1 lbs fat.

You need to lose 4.5lbs fat and gain 14.5lbs muscle. This is quite a tall order and may not be doable in the time alotted. Since your goal is to be very lean come July on your vacation you will need to prioritize your goals. I would recommend a “mass gaining phase” until sometime in april when you would start a strict and regimented diet, maybe carb cycling, to bring your body fat down by the date.

Your diet looks rather solid at the moment, but you have to measure your current progress to determine if you are at an adequate caloric level. Spend two weeks with this plan as your starting value and view your results, measurements, weight, and pictures. Now add 200-300kcal a day/week until you are growing at a adequate rate.

If fat gain starts to get out of control, say 15%ish, you may need to decrease your caloric value or diet for two weeks half way through your bulk.

Oh, and get some Surge and BCAA for periworkout.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1756065 <- Weight loss.

Otherwise, follow Zag’s advice.

thanks for the advice, would dropping 5lbs off my goal be more realistic? So 185lbs., if I want to weight more I can always do a mass gaining phase after I return from vacation. Though I do realize, a mass gaining phase may be in order to reach my current goals.

[quote]NucTech wrote:
thanks for the advice, would dropping 5lbs off my goal be more realistic? So 185lbs., if I want to weight more I can always do a mass gaining phase after I return from vacation. Though I do realize, a mass gaining phase may be in order to reach my current goals.[/quote]

If you want to weigh more, a mass gaining phase is going to be a must.

Bulk up, then go on a very tight diet with whatever works for you for weight loss (carb cycling, HIIT training, NEPA). That’s my take on it.

I think at that height and with only 7 months of consistent training you should definitely be able to achieve your goal with hard work and good nutrition.

[quote]NucTech wrote:
thanks for the advice, would dropping 5lbs off my goal be more realistic? So 185lbs., if I want to weight more I can always do a mass gaining phase after I return from vacation. Though I do realize, a mass gaining phase may be in order to reach my current goals.[/quote]

I think you should shoot for 190…how much of a beginner are you? I just started my first mass gaining phase and have put on 10lbs in just over 2 months(started beginning of august). I’d guess probably 8 or 9 pounds of that is muscle. Going at this rate i’d hope to hit 15lbs lbm gained in another month and a half, and if I added in another month for fat loss (4.5lbs of fat loss isnt a big deal), then that’s only 4.5 months.

I’m just saying anecdotally it can be done (I’m 23 and 6’2 btw, so somewhat close to where you’re at)…i’m sure most of my gains are beginner gains though and probably not typical. My diet isn’t even that great, I just eat 6 times a day, get the amount of protein+calories I need (probably only 1-1.5g protein per # of BW), and stay away from only the really bad foods i.e. fast food + sweets. Your diet looks a lot better than mine actually, you just gotta make sure you’re getting enough calories to put on mass.

185 at 9% is more reasonable, but I say shoot for 190. Also, if your dieting goes well at the end or you are rather lean in april you can keep going with adding mass. Right now at your current weight you will need to add some muscle to your frame.