Helminthic Therapy, Infecting Yourself with Worms

I thought this was wacky when I first heard about it, but I’m beginning to think there’s something to “rewilding” our bodies. Hookworms are microscopic, we co evolved with these creatures. Our immune system may actually need them.

No

If there was a trial near me I would sign up for it. I would be very interested to see the results of this kind of treatment. I’ve also briefly heard about something called a fecal transplant in which gut flora is exchanged between two people. I wouldn’t be so quick so sign up for that one.

No

Hey were you the guy a few years ago that started the thread about the Silverback Strength equipment logo?

Derek, do you think this is something that may be worth investigating? Not necessarily infecting people, but trying to isolate the secretions that provide the therapeutic effect seems like something with some pretty profound implications.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Derek, do you think this is something that may be worth investigating? Not necessarily infecting people, but trying to isolate the secretions that provide the therapeutic effect seems like something with some pretty profound implications.[/quote]
Im just a skeptic by nature. I have grown up in Western medicine, but I also have dieted and worked out my whole adult life (so I do not discount alternative medicine). I am not a scientist and by this point in my medical career I am just more specialized than anything else.
The human body is an amazing piece of machinery its ability to adapt and over come things is always miraculous.
I would always tell residents the point you think you know everything in medicine, stop and realize you will NEVER know everything.
So could this have efficacy and therapeutic effects? Maybe, but I sure as hell dont trust anything of Wiki, WebMD or any thing without real studies.

If there was a trial near me I would sign up for it. I would be very interested to see the results of this kind of treatment. I’ve also briefly heard about something called a fecal transplant in which gut flora is exchanged between two people. I wouldn’t be so quick so sign up for that one.[/quote]

I’ve also briefly heard about something called a fecal transplant in which gut flora is exchanged between two people. I wouldn’t be so quick so sign up for that one.[/quote]

So 2 girls 1 cup will be an archetype for future alternative treatments?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/digestive-diseases/quick-inexpensive-90-percent-cure-rate

“Fecal transplantation can be performed via nasogastric tube, nasojejunal tube, upper tract endoscopy, colonoscopy and retention enema. Dr. Orenstein says he prefers colonoscopic infusion because it safely and effectively delivers healthy bacteria to the site of most C. difficile infections.”

I would probably also prefer them not putting the poop tube through my nose to deliver the payload. Maybe the next therapy will be putting wormy poo into people.

What are the supposed benefits??

[quote]SirTroyRobert wrote:
What are the supposed benefits??[/quote]

There is supposedly some correlation between these worms and autoimmune diseases. It is hypothesized that they prevent the immune system from overreacting. Apparently developed countries immune systems aren’t exposed to enough pathogens and/or parasites because we are too clean.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
The human body is an amazing piece of machinery its ability to adapt and over come things is always miraculous.
I would always tell residents the point you think you know everything in medicine, stop and realize you will NEVER know everything.
So could this have efficacy and therapeutic effects? Maybe, but I sure as hell dont trust anything of Wiki, WebMD or any thing without real studies.[/quote]

Very true.

On the thread’s topic, here’s a reputable resource - Cooling Inflammation: Vitamin C, Guinea Pigs, Limeys and Gut Worms

[quote]Derek542 wrote:
No

Hey were you the guy a few years ago that started the thread about the Silverback Strength equipment logo? [/quote]

Yes that’s me. Currently I’m not doing anything with the small business. Just working at my day job.