T Nation

Hello, Need a Routine

Hi , i was on this site for a while gathering info but moved to a new home, i barely got work done so i skimmed over and over again trying to remind myself to resolve my lifestyle and i have!

So i am 5 '8' ,15 and over 22% bodyfat, about 175 lbs.

I feel overwhelmed by hundred of different routines, everyday i see 10x3, 5x5, upper lower, density whatchamacallit training, complex hybrid bla bla bla, movement ultra fat on fire blah blah.

I plan on eating a sort of t dawg diet thing with maintenence and letting teenage magic do the work. Plenty of meat, some carbs, vegetables, "milk"(Casein and whey Powder and water shaked into a fine liquid, lactose intolerant.) some legumes occasionally although i barely find time to cook for hours. Eggs too. Good pre and post nutrition.

But what about the routines? I am week as hell and was sick for a week so i now am even more weak, i can barely bench 80 lbs.

And also here is my diet

Breakfast: Shredded wheat and bran with "Milk", or if i have time Some fried free range eggs and filling(rare on time though)

Snack: tuna, nuts

Lunch: Leftovers, meat and veg

Snack:Cottage cheese and dried fruit

Pre and post

Dinner: Meat and veg, i make two servings and save one.

Snack:Plain shake

At 22% body fat you are all out of "teenage magic", you need increased daily activity, probably increased sun exposure, consistent exercise and a consistent diet.

Is that actually what you eat every day or what you plan to eat every day? If that is your plan, you should take notes on your eating for a week and see how well you actually stick to it.

You need a minimum of 30 minutes (prefferably an hour) of low intensity conditioning every day. A 30 minute walk in the morning before school and a 30 minute bike ride after school would be ideal.

As far as routine you need something simple. Start off with pushups, body weight squats, planks, pullups/chinups (or hangs for time if you can't do one), rack chins etc. These low impact body weight exercises can be done frequently; every day, twice a day, whenever you can.

When you can do a couple sets of 15 or 20 pushups, hold an arms extended plank for a minute, do 50 body weight squats with good form and at least one or two pullups then you should worry about weight lifting.

Don't worry about pre and post workout nutrition or any other complicated crap. Get exercise every day, move more often, get outside more and eat meat, fish, eggs, vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, greens), fruit (whole fruits, not dried, juiced or otherwise sweetened), nuts and dairy and you will see results.

Starting is tough now a days. There is just too much good info, and too many excellent routines. Almost to the point where it all is very overwhelming at first. If you feel at all inclined to pick a random one and run with it then that's OK too. Just make sure to stick with whatever you choose throughout the WHOLE duration of it, give it time, and you'll see the gains.

That being said, beginner gains are the best! All it takes really to see some gains is to pick up some weights and stay consistent. At 5'8 and 175 (at 15 mind you), you seem as though you could have a potentially sound foundation to start off with. Your diet seems relatively clean and, if your goals (which you forgot to mention) are to get that 6 pack or a huge chest, will play a huge role throughout your bodybuilding endeavor.

My advice? Keep it simple, keep it consistent. Going to a gym for 2 weeks and then taking 1 week off is not consistency. If you want the gains, you need discipline. At 15, I can wager you probably have enough time to make room for workouts, if you really want to that is. Below is a basic 3 day split. If you feel up to it, repeat the 3 days to make for a 6 day workout routine:

Day 1 ~ Monday

chest ~ bench press, incline dumbbell bench press, dumbbell flys
back ~ chin ups, deadlifts

Day 2 ~ Tuesday

shoulders ~ standing military press, upright rows
arms ~ barbell curls, skullcrushers (note: you can probably do some forearm work too, but I think there's plenty of indirect stimulation to them through exercises like deadlifts and chin ups)

Day 3 ~ Wednesday

quads/glutes/etc ~ squat
hamstring ~ straight legged deadlift
claves ~ standing calve raises

**Abs could be done after every workout or every odd workout if you choose to do 6 days per week. Squats and the like stimulate your core very efficiently in the beginning. Crunches and leg raises are good ones. Abs 6 days a week is not necessary.

Things to note:

• FORM. Learn these lifts, perfect your form, and the weight will come. You'll only hinder yourself in the long run by doing poor form and letting your ego choose the weight.

• Freeweights! I have no machine work in the above program. Not because I dislike them, but I believe for now that learning to balance the weights is much more important. Feel free to throw some in later on when you've become comfortable with these moves.

• Range of motion! Doing a chin up and then going only halfway down, or doing a squat where you don't go to at least parallel with the floor is a waste of time. Not only do you loose flexibility, but you miss out on key areas being stimulated during a lift. Often times when you hear of someone boasting a 300 squat, yet they have quads similar to a grandma, they are doing half a lift (not going low enough) and probably have shit for form. This area fits in with form and learning to do your lifts properly. I can't stress this enough.

• Be aggressive when you're moving weight. Explode up in your squats. Explode your bench press. When you're in the gym, intensity will determine your growth exponentially. Light to moderate weight can be used to build strength if done properly. Think about how you move when you want to kick a ball, or deliver a punch, or jump up for a rebound. Do you do it at half speed? No. Lift like you mean it. Be. Explosive. Always.

• Sets vs Reps. Like I said before, your goals will determine these. I train low sets (3 to 4), for high reps (8 to 10) mainly in compound movements (squats, deadlifts, benchpress, [exercises that incorporate a number of muscles to perform]) because I want to be strong and explosive for volleyball. I do not recommend this to start. 8-12 reps for 3 to 4 reps is the norm

• Mix it up. The lifts provided are merely examples. Each person responds differently to various exercises. Finding what works best for you is something you figure out over time. Please keep the compound movements though :slightly_smiling:

Hope this helps! Take your time. Think of weightlifting as a marathon, rather than a sprint. It's lifelong and you have many many years to shape your body.

I remember a previous thread of yours:

Just to give you a reality check, you've made poor progress these last eight months. From that last thread until now, you've gained about 35 pounds of bodyweight with no real strength increase.

I recommend you drop what you're doing and use the program I suggested back then:

Mon., Wed., and Fri.
Squat 2x15 (No weight, keep both feet flat on the floor)
Push-up 2x15 (On your toes, not your knees. Put your hands up on a bench or Smith machine bar set high enough)
Lunge 2x15 (Alternate legs, 1 rep left/1 rep right)
Neutral-grip pull-up 2x15 (on the assisted machine. Could be substituted with inverted rows)
Plank 2x15-count (Hold the top part of a push-up, on the toes, arms straight, hands on the floor, keep the whole body straight. Count to 15)
Burpee/squat thrust 2x15

When those workouts are "easy" from start to finish, then you can progress to a basic free weight-centered plan.

Try to be "active" on the days you're not training. Don't stress about doing "cardio" specifically. Just... move... more.

You overthink things. You did back in February and you still kinda are. That you're tracking your bodyfat percentage is one example of this.

Stop it. Train most days of the week and eat good food often. That's as simple as it can be. (Just to re-emphasize the point.)

Hard boil a dozen eggs at the start of each week. Boom... no excuses.

Dare I ask, what exactly do you have "pre and post?"

Sounds fine enough, overall. At your age, simply increasing activity (as others have said and, again, as I suggested to you way back in February) will get you closer to where you want to be. You need to train smart and not get hung up on too many details.

You must have way more carbohydrates. You need at least 5-6 pieces of bread per meat serving. When the stomach does not have enough carbohydrates it has no energy to move the meat. There is then basicly dead meat laying in your stomach. The stomach will then build up a whole bunch of acid to digest the dead meat/protien and that causes pain in your belly.

Carbohydrates is energy. Bread is energy. Flour is energy. Rice is energy. You should try and eat pancakes in the morning. Pasta and macaroni or rice for dinner with your steak or hamburger. A serving of cereal and meat for lunch is good too. Make sure you slather tomato sauce on your meat. Particulary if it is white meat such as fish or chicken. Red meat doesn't need as much tomato sauce. You could also add some friut to your shake. A well known and extremly popular selling exercise dvd set has a great recipe book that includes shakes and smoothies with fruit added and some wonderful fish recipes.

These food tips are extremely important and will increase energy and excercise production/output and keep your body at a good fitness level. You will be able to do all the exercises that Arnold and Tony Horton can do and the ones posted on your thread + some more energy to do some aerobic training.

Please eat more carbohydrates cause I would hate for you to be sick most of the time.

Thank you for taking the time to read my reply.

Thank you, i will make sure i don't get sick again too. I also will make a promise to myself to be consistent, if i don't its my own damn fault.

Pre and post imo is a bit of protein powder and fresh fruit just for a bit of energy, i split the food in two. Im not at the point where i should be using stuff like ZMAs and crap.

The occasion i cook i get my recipes from Shugart in his forum.

*Edit:Close no longer need thread.

Bread moves the meat in your stomach? where did you find this "information?"

i want to tell this guy to fuck off and also buy him a drink for the laugh

This reply is a joke right?

I was concerned because at 175 lb weight and not being able to bench press 80 lbs and getting sick all the time sounded like a deficent in carbohydrates. The diet has a serving of meat at every meal time but there should be at least 4-5 pieces of bread or flour item per meat serving. (Maybe the questionaire is getting that amount each meal. I don't know) But remember if you don't get flour in your body then your meat has no energy, your muscle has no energy and you end up with lots if putred meat in your stomach and that can only go out the other end.

At some point your stomach will try to digest some of this putred meat and it has to build up mass amounts of acid and overwork itself to do this if there are no carbohydrates around to move the meat to its proper place on the body then it goes out the other end and the stomach will hurt. You do need to exercise consinstly to do that but you don't need to overstrain yourself. The body can move meat and create muscle during resting time. I don't work out on Sundays but I still eat a meal 3 times a day with bread, cereal, veggies, rice etc. and well I could go on and on.

Bread moves meat. Bread, flour, sugar and moving the body parts together moves the meat. Veggies help to stimulant the meat and work vital organs. Fruit and sugar gives taste and flavor.

That is some funny shit

my favorite is the Sex on the Beach with an extra slice of lemon.

I hate you so much.

lol @ "move the meat to it's proper place in the body"

how did humans ever survive before bread was invented......................... lol

Those humans ate whole WHEAT. Bread is ground wheat mixed with water or milk with a dash of yeast and baked in the sun or in an oven. Yeast is a living organsim. Wheat & yeast & sugar are essential for muscles/meat. WHEAT is grown in the midwest of the USA. A human body without wheat is sluggish and sick. More protien than carbohydrates causes less energy and more stomach sickness. Those symptons will not produce more muscles. 4-5 slices of bread or any wheat product per serving of meat/protien is the standard balance. More protien than carbs sounds more macho but the more you workout that way the more you will burn and destroy existing muscle than create new muscle. Its obvisouly logical. We Humans have to eat the wheat & the sugar & the veggies & the meat & the plants that come from the ground. OK now if anybody wants to question this further they should start another thread.

Oh shit you almost sound serious. But i'm gonna take it your blowing shit out your ass.

How are wheat, yeast and sugar essential for muscles? How is a human body without wheat sluggish and sick? If you are referring to Ketogenic shock? If so, this is symptom is simply a lack of glycogen stores in the brain which leads to a "fuzzy feeling". This shouldn't be a problem if the OP is eating enough fruits and vegetables because there are more than enough carbs in those. Four to five slices of bread with any serving of meat is the standard? According to who? More protein than carbs will burn and destroy existing muscle and this is only logical? How so? I am not saying that this is the case here but my experience with people that say "this is only logical" is that it's anything but.

Ok, so at first this was cute and you gave everyone a good laugh...but, seriously, now it's time to get real or get the fuck out!

The Food Guide Pyramid says 2-3 serving of meat per day & 6-11 servings of Bread, Cereal, Rice and Pasta per day. roughly about 5 servings of the grain to each serving of meat, and 3-5 serving of veggies per day. Yes you could eat more serving of veggies: Celery and Broccoli are wonderful veggies and are good energizers. Corn is in the veggie section of the grocery store but it is really a grain. The Potato is a tuber but most people eat it like a grain (French Fries). Veggies are low in carbohydrates so I suggest tripling the amount of servings. Thats a huge salad.

Thank you for posting about Ketogenic shock. I will look more into it on the internet. I hear some people go into this state when they fast. Thank you.