T Nation

Hello Brothers of Iron...Question

This one quote is what made me want to be a part of this forum.

A very large man once said these words…

Am I the only nostalgic mofo on this site? What the fuck happened to the once proud brotherhood of iron? When did this once bound by a thirst for growth and hunger for improvement bunch of hardcore animals get infiltrated by a bunch of pussified moronic cry babies?

I spent this morning replying to threads about people being threatened in the parking lot because they were using someone’s piece of gym equipment, guys refusing to spot one another in the gym and people actually defending this mindless bullshit. Tell me there is hope after all and the glory days will be once more.

I used to walk into a gym and hang around the big boys just to pick up a tip or two. I trained for years before I finally mustered up enough nerves to ask the biggest guy in the gym in the gym if I could please train with him. The majority of these wannabe lifters nowadays have no fucking respect for the game anymore and are just taking up gym space if you ask me. Why the fuck do you look surprised when I tell you to get the fuck out my way when you are talking to your girl on your cell phone?

If a guy, who is in the midst of a serious work out, asks you to spot him, you spot him when you are ready to do so. And even if he doesn?t ask you, if he gets crushed under a weight and you are nearby, you spot him. When some young kid comes to you and asks you a few things, don?t be a total jackass and tell him a few basic things to get him on his way.

When someone is just fucking around, tell him to do things right or go home. If you are serious and want to learn, I have no problem helping you along, just come correct and respect those who have come before you. It is about time we clean this shit up, I am on a fucking war path to grow and improve and will not be taking any prisoners.

Semper Fi,
A

This is the best shit I have read in a long time. This being my first post after lurking for a while. I just wanted to let you know that other sites had me counting calories in in the f@cking chicken breast when I should have been eating the whole damn chicken. Had me doin bicep routines when I should have been squating and deadlifting inhuman weights. Thanks to guys like Professor X and others I saw the light and gained from a low 165 to 192 in about seven months.

Can you see my abs? Hell no! I will worry about abs in a few years when I am well over 215lbs. I do have some need of help from you guys that have had severe exertion headaches from deadlifting. When I deadlift really heavy I tend to give myself terrible headaches that can last for over a week when I try to lift again. Ruins some of my later workouts. I think I may be holding my breath? Any experience out there?

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
This one quote is what made me want to be a part of this forum.

A very large man once said these words…

Am I the only nostalgic mofo on this site? What the fuck happened to the once proud brotherhood of iron? When did this once bound by a thirst for growth and hunger for improvement bunch of hardcore animals get infiltrated by a bunch of pussified moronic cry babies?

I spent this morning replying to threads about people being threatened in the parking lot because they were using someone’s piece of gym equipment, guys refusing to spot one another in the gym and people actually defending this mindless bullshit. Tell me there is hope after all and the glory days will be once more.

I used to walk into a gym and hang around the big boys just to pick up a tip or two. I trained for years before I finally mustered up enough nerves to ask the biggest guy in the gym in the gym if I could please train with him. The majority of these wannabe lifters nowadays have no fucking respect for the game anymore and are just taking up gym space if you ask me. Why the fuck do you look surprised when I tell you to get the fuck out my way when you are talking to your girl on your cell phone?

If a guy, who is in the midst of a serious work out, asks you to spot him, you spot him when you are ready to do so. And even if he doesn?t ask you, if he gets crushed under a weight and you are nearby, you spot him. When some young kid comes to you and asks you a few things, don?t be a total jackass and tell him a few basic things to get him on his way.

When someone is just fucking around, tell him to do things right or go home. If you are serious and want to learn, I have no problem helping you along, just come correct and respect those who have come before you. It is about time we clean this shit up, I am on a fucking war path to grow and improve and will not be taking any prisoners.

Semper Fi,
A

This is the best shit I have read in a long time. This being my first post after lurking for a while. I just wanted to let you know that other sites had me counting calories in in the f@cking chicken breast when I should have been eating the whole damn chicken. Had me doin bicep routines when I should have been squating and deadlifting inhuman weights. Thanks to guys like Professor X and others I saw the light and gained from a low 165 to 192 in about seven months.

Can you see my abs? Hell no! I will worry about abs in a few years when I am well over 215lbs. I do have some need of help from you guys that have had severe exertion headaches from deadlifting. When I deadlift really heavy I tend to give myself terrible headaches that can last for over a week when I try to lift again. Ruins some of my later workouts. I think I may be holding my breath? Any experience out there?[/quote]

You may be holding your breath or rushing/cutting off blood to your brain.

Does your face and/or eyes flush when you do it?

I see stars when I squat and deadlift sometimes, but no headaches.

DG

Yes my face is red but not sure if my face is flush from holding my breath or if it is flush from lifting in general. Frustrating

[quote]Beerguy wrote:
Yes my face is red but not sure if my face is flush from holding my breath or if it is flush from lifting in general. Frustrating [/quote]

exhale as u lift the weight off of the ground…imo proper breathing technique is crucial with weight lifting.

It seems that you have a blood flow problem occuring while holding your breath and lifting. Imo you should not hold your breath when you lift. Your body needs oxygen and needs to get rid of carbon dioxide. Your breathing technique would be the cause of your headaches when lifting imo. Fix that and you should be fine.

DG

So I was doing my one rep max for bench and dead lift and while sometimes i get what you are talking about, i had a new instance occur tonight. I felt slightly in the front right part of my head / around my eye in cheek bone feel extremely weird.

its contained just to that area, and not the rest of my head but it basically feels like i popped all the blood vessels in that area or something. like i got hit in the face. i’m kind of worried about it. any ideas? should i go to a doctor?