Hello... and Thank You!

After spending the last two weeks or so reading many articles and threads here,i figured it was time to say Hi!
And,a VERY big THANK YOU!
You see,im approaching 37 years old,Married with 5 kids,and spent my life sat on my rear in IT.
(6’2",215 lbs…Most of which is situated in my gut.6 pack?-I have a big round 1 pack!,almost fainted when the tape measure went to 43" around my belly)

I had never been to a gym since school,and physical excersize was limited to a stroll to the fridge for another beer//pork pie.On top of this i had smoked since the age of 15.
So dont tend to feel particularly great on any day.
Recently,I was booked into hospital for a minor operation,and prompty failed my pre-op medical.I was not fit enough to undergo General Anaesthetic.
Blood pressure was far too high,and cholesterol was through the roof.

I had known for a long time that i was “unfit”,but only once i had failed that medical did i realise just how bad i’d got.
Stairs leave me pretty wrecked,and a 5 min run will see me gasping for breath like a fish out of water.
Knew i shouldnt have had that last Big Mac!.
Spent a fair bit of time feeling utterly despondant.

Then by pure chance,i found this place.I wasnt looking for anything to do with weights/fitness,a link in an email on a totally unrelated topic brought me here.
And you guys have given me something which even after just a couple of weeks,is very valuable to me.
Determination.

I now have a way of beginning to put right the years of abuse my poor frame has endured-And get d*mn fine advice and information while im doing it.
Since finding these forums,my diet has undergone EXTREME change.
From eating a big fried breakfast and as many cheeseburgers/kebabs/chocolate bars as i wanted daily,while drinking up to 6 litres of Coca Cola…To now not eating any junk food at all,and watching very carefully the calorie/fat contents etc of everything that goes into my mouth.

For the first time ever-I have begun doing both cardio and lifting.
Ok-So the first session i had felt like i was going to die,like right then on the spot…and i paid for it dearly with severe pains for days afterwards.
I did however,feel better about myself than i have in decades after just the first week.

For starters im aiming to lose a few lbs from my gut,and add some much needed muscle mass. (My wife’s most recent comment was “I’ve seen more meat on a sparrows kneecaps”)
I realise i know very little about what im doing at this point,and that this is going to be the longest,hardest road i have ever taken.
Which is why im very thankful there are such helpful people around,who have travelled the same road.Perhaps i wont make quite as many mistakes!
Thanks again T-Nation,For the Inspiration,and knowing there is somewhere to turn!.

Well at least you’ve realized early that the road is going to be long and hard. Going into it knowing this makes it much easier to persevere. Most people think it’s gonna be quick and simple and therefore get discouraged too easily.

Good luck with it. Stick with it for the long haul, and you’ll see the changes take place.

You should pick up a couple books (Starting Strength is a good one, as is Scrawny to Brawny), and also read the articles in the Beginner’s Forum stickied threads.

I’m sure others will chime in with books that are useful as well.

I think what aragorn meant to say was this:

[quote] Aragorn wrote:
Welcome. I’d suggest reading the stickied threads at the top of this Beginner’s Forum. Then read the articles that are linked in those stickied threads. Read, read, read. Knowledge is power when it comes to transforming yourself.

Also, you should be warned that this site is sort of a ‘playground’ or locker room for alpha males and alpha females. So there tends to be a lot of tough love that goes to everyone, especially the newbies/beginners. Some times it goes beyond tough love. But at any rate I would grow a thick skin and be ready to take advice, even when it is offered in kind of a ‘back hand’ fashion. It’s a rite of passage for a lot of people–I went through it when I joined this site many years ago as well. The people who are coachable will stay and transform themselves, the ego driven people or the people seeking ‘half measures’ and quick fixes will leave to lick their wounds.

That being said, it really is a very helpful place. Vets know their stuff, contributors stay around to answer questions in their forum area, it really is the best place on the net for changing your life. We just don’t coddle anyone for any reason. :slight_smile: You have been warned.

Rules to changing your life and physique:

1. There are no shortcuts. Consistency and perseverance are almighty.

2. There are no shortcuts. Consistency and perseverance are almighty.

3. There are no shortcuts. Consistency and perseverance are almighty.

4. Use the search function before posting questions–generally it will save you time and some criticisms. If you read something you don’t understand in an article, ask a question about it! Generally if people know that you’ve been doing some background reading they don’t give you a hard time. We’ve been having a rash of lazy posters who don’t use the search function lately.

5. Read first, ask later. This goes with the above rule, just to make your life easier. We have 10 years of articles on here in the archives. Also, you are GUARANTEED to get confused by reading things–this is fine, this is normal. The nice thing about this site is the info. By far the best and most thorough on the web. The bad thing about this site is “Analysis Paralysis” for newbs. ASK Questions on stuff you read!

6. Along with the above point–doing >> reading. Pick a program and a nutrition plan, and STICK TO IT. You can read while you work. Besides, even if your plan isn’t the best thing, you’ll make progress as long as you put effort into things. And some progress, even if it is slow or less than optimal, is always ALWAYS better than no progress.

7. This is a bodybuilding site. We have lots of guys interested in strongman or powerlifting or martial arts or athletics more than bodybuilding (I would be among those people). It’s perfectly OK if your goals aren’t to bench 500 lbs, or get to 250 lbs of lean muscle. That’s fine, we accept all serious comers.

And many of us started out “just getting in shape” but somewhere along the lines we converted to the “dark side”. But this site is about getting big and strong, so please respect those who choose the competitive bodybuilding lifestyle, including steroids. (We’ve been having a rash of the “I don’t want to get too big” and bodybuilding bashing posters lately too)

1. Don’t get impatient–total transformation takes years. Not a couple months. Lots of progress can be made when you start, sure, but build the foundation strong and deep.

2. Simple = Progress. Don’t overthink things. Well, do that, but not while sitting on your arse. Doing anything is superior to doing nothing, even if you are confused in your mind.

3. Forget everything you “thought” you knew about lifting, diet and nutrition–everything the infomercials tell you, every thing the popular media tells you. Trust me on this. High protein intake will not destroy your kidneys, steroids will not kill you, training your lower back is in fact GOOD for you, all fat is not bad, all carbs are not bad…blah blah blah.

4. this site is about the pursuit of excellence. Period. It doesn’t matter how long the journey is, only that you pursue it whole heartedly and unrelentingly.

5. This road is not easy. This road is not short. This road is beset on all sides by saboteurs who want to see you fail. This road is painful. This road is also enlightening in every sense of the word.

6. Changing your physique is the Single. Hardest. Thing. you will ever do, unless you count beating brain cancer or similar. Changing your physique required wholesale LIFESTYLE changes. Not a ‘diet’ but a lifestyle. For the rest of your life. Forever. Change the way you think about food, the way you act, the way you plan your day, the way you walk into the grocery store. There’s no other way to do it. I did it this way, and you can too.

In this order:
New Rules of Lifting
–Gives you basics and the WHYS and explodes common myths
The Testosterone Advantage Plan
–Teaches you to eat like a man
BRAWN
–Helps you train according to your recovery abilities
Nutrient Timing
–All about maximizing the Pre/During/Post exercise meal equations

Welcome. If you need a little support, a friendly ear (er, eye), and some good advise come on over to the over 35 lifters forum. Sometimes we can related a little better and we’re (mostly) past the alpha male/female thing. Good luck, getting started again is a big step.

[quote]Otep wrote:
…[/quote]

You dirty pirate! I’m going to sue you for…well I don’t know what.

Sometimes I get lazy when I post :slight_smile:

Hey, congratulations for getting started.

(“Ive seen more meat on a sparrow’s kneecaps” – yea for your wife!)

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Otep wrote:

You dirty pirate! I’m going to sue you for…well I don’t know what.

Sometimes I get lazy when I post :)[/quote]

I have a written PM saying it’s cool to use that passage.

Just saying :slight_smile: