T Nation

Hello and Questions

I’ve been watching you guys through the windows for the last 3 months and final have gotten the courage to come in.

I have 2 questions now, many more will follow in the days to come.

1. Going in for the annual physical and was wondering if it?s worth getting the T level checked?
  2. Are fat burners (HOT-ROX) safe and will they work on an old guy?

Here?s My Story ? 3 years ago the doc told me to lose 20lbs or go on BP medication, I chose to lose the weight (80lbs). I started lifting at the same time to speed up the process and I haven?t looked back since. I now have great muscle definition and vascularity everywhere except the lower torso (A ring of fat around the torso).

Stats:
48 years old - 6-1 185lbs 12-13% BF
Blood Pressure 110/72 (way down from 3 years ago)
Cholesterol 115 HDLs 35 (Hope this is higher at my next physical)

Current Diet ? 2300cal. 40%/P 30%Carb 30%Fat (roughly)
Typical Day:
Breakfast - Meat/Veggie Omelets, Fruit
Snack - Chicken, Fruit
Lunch - Spinach Salad w/chicken, red peppers, flax meal, olive oil
Snack - Homemade Protein Bar
Dinner - Meat/Veggies (Salmon twice/wk)
Bed Time Snack - Cottage Cheese/Peanut Butter/Low-Carb Grow!
On workout days I use Surge during and PW and follow that up with a dinner of oatmeal or protein pancakes.
Beverages - Water and Green Tea
Supplements - Greens+ and Fish Oil

Workout - Very brisk 40 min. walk every morning with the dog. Lift at home (after work) 4 days/wk (currently using CW?s backward routine).

Goals: 1. In the right lighting I see a 4-pack, I need to see them all. 2. After the abs thing, I want to have the grapefruits to bulk. I?ve tried bulking in the past, but every time my pants get a little tight I freak out and cut.

[quote]gassy wrote:
I’ve been watching you guys through the windows for the last 3 months and final have gotten the courage to come in.

1. Going in for the annual physical and was wondering if it?s worth getting the T level checked?

Here?s My Story ? 3 years ago the doc told me to lose 20lbs or go on BP medication, I chose to lose the weight (80lbs). I started lifting at the same time to speed up the process and I haven?t looked back since. I now have great muscle definition and vascularity everywhere except the lower torso (A ring of fat around the torso).

Stats:

Typical Day:
Snack - Chicken, Fruit
On workout days I use Surge during and PW and follow that up with a dinner of oatmeal or protein pancakes.

Workout - Very brisk 40 min. walk every morning with the dog. Lift at home (after work) 4 days/wk (currently using CW?s backward routine).

Goals: 1. In the right lighting I see a 4-pack, I need to see them all. 2. After the abs thing, I want to have the grapefruits to bulk. I?ve tried bulking in the past, but every time my pants get a little tight I freak out and cut.[/quote]

There is nothing about 48 that is old. The only thing that scares me about your age is the 2 year countdown to colonostomy.

I would address the HOT-ROX with your doctor as the only thing that would deem them unsafe is an interaction with your medications (run this by Cy Willson as well).

There can be no harm in getting the T-Checked… I don’t think it is any more of a charge either.

Being canadian and having free health care, when my doc sends me for a blood work, i depending on mood check off various additional tests such (liver enyzmes, blood cells, hormone levels) on the blood work form.

If you can find out how many possible tests you can run for the price you are paying or if they are free as in my case. There is obivously no harm(besides losing a few drops of blood) in getting as many tests done as possible.

I cant comment on the HOT-ROX issue, since i have never used it. However it has been given great reviews by most consumer labs and claim label checkers. Not to mention countless statisfied T-men and T-vixens. But your current medication or medical state might make it potentially risky, so its best to talk to your doctor.

Your food consumption looks impressive. Keep disciplined and I have no reason to believe you wont reach both your goals by the end of this summer, if not during it.

PS: What would i know i am half your age :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replys. In regard to the fat burners, I must have given the impression that I’m on medication - I’m not. I hope to hear from more about using HOT-ROX, I’m a little skeptical about them. I have the will power to lose the extra BF, but if HOT-ROX were to make it easier with no side effects, I might be willing to give it a try.

I’ll check with the doc and see what the extra blood work will cost. I’m interested in the T level mainly due to the low sex drive I’ve been experiencing lately.

Tri - I’m looking forward to the colonostomy. How bad can it be? Any idea?

[quote]gassy wrote:
Tri - I’m looking forward to the colonostomy. How bad can it be? Any idea?[/quote]

No idea. I’ve got to live twice as long for mine. Although I hear the combo of gas and lube can provide a good hour of post-game audible humor.

I personally have used Maximum Strength HOT-ROX and they worked well. Using V-Diet I cut from 12-7.5%.

I think the right word colonoSCOPY… the process of looking up in your guts there with a scope.

Colonostomy (I think) is when they hook you up to the bag.

While neither is something to look forward to, the c-scope isn’t too bad. I have had the scope job and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I had expected. The drugs are GREAT.

My advice: if ever presented the choice of the barium enema, ask for the c-scope instead. I didn’t, got the enema (ouch), then had to get scoped anyway!

LA

[quote]LA wrote:
I think the right word colonoSCOPY… the process of looking up in your guts there with a scope.

Colonostomy (I think) is when they hook you up to the bag.

While neither is something to look forward to, the c-scope isn’t too bad. I have had the scope job and it wasn’t nearly as bad as I had expected. The drugs are GREAT.

My advice: if ever presented the choice of the barium enema, ask for the c-scope instead. I didn’t, got the enema (ouch), then had to get scoped anyway!

LA

[/quote]

Ya thats what I meant. Didn’t mean to refer to the wrong shit (heh)

[quote]gassy wrote:
Thanks for the replys. In regard to the fat burners, I must have given the impression that I’m on medication - I’m not. I hope to hear from more about using HOT-ROX, I’m a little skeptical about them.[/quote]

Have you actually read any of the HOT-ROX recommendations from people on this site? I’d suggest a google search and some reading, if you haven’t already.

If you have, then what more do you need? Buy some and try it. If it doesn’t work, return it.

I assume you mean significant negative side-effects, because almost everything you put in your mouth can have potential side-effects.

That said, once again, I’d recommend reading the HOT-ROX product thread, plus any threads specifically about HOT-ROX. I’m not sure what else you’re asking for.

Yeah, I’ll echo some of what is being said.

HOT-ROX are not a simple stimulant or diuretic like many fat loss supplements.

They help keep the metabolism going during periods of reduced calorie intake – which has a large impact on your ability to lose fat. They also provide rate limiting substrates for the fat oxidation reaction. Read the product threads for more details, I’m no expert.

Anyway, because they don’t raise your heart rate or anything, the odds are low that you’d notice any type feeling at all while taking them, if that is what you were referring to.

As has been said, if you’ve got your diet in order, give them a try. What have you got to lose, other than some excess fat you don’t want anyway?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Yeah, I’ll echo some of what is being said.

HOT-ROX are not a simple stimulant or diuretic like many fat loss supplements.

They help keep the metabolism going during periods of reduced calorie intake – which has a large impact on your ability to lose fat. They also provide rate limiting substrates for the fat oxidation reaction. Read the product threads for more details, I’m no expert.

Anyway, because they don’t raise your heart rate or anything, the odds are low that you’d notice any type feeling at all while taking them, if that is what you were referring to.

As has been said, if you’ve got your diet in order, give them a try. What have you got to lose, other than some excess fat you don’t want anyway?[/quote]

Thanks vroom,
I’ve read a lot about HOT-ROX but it all sounds like commercial indorsements too me, which is what made me skeptical in the first place.
You seem to be very level headed and I respect your opinions. I’ll throw a bottle in on the next order.
Thanks, Consider this thread done.

[quote]gassy wrote:

Stats:

Typical Day:
Snack - Chicken, Fruit

Goals: 1. In the right lighting I see a 4-pack, I need to see them all. 2. After the abs thing, I want to have the grapefruits to bulk. I?ve tried bulking in the past, but every time my pants get a little tight I freak out and cut.[/quote]

Damn 48 yr old kid. First off is your doc used to dealing with athletes. Most aren’t and end up telling you to quit lifting or such. Mine is used to strength athletes and has been a real help.

Now as far as the T level check, is there a problem? If not don’t ask for it. The mind will play tricks on you, make you self conscious and create a problem.

Here is my daily diet and supps;
Morning, 1tsp creatine and water, breakfast of 6 egg beaters and some meat and vegs. A muffin, and this, a mult vitamin, 1 vitamin E 1000 I.U. 6 grams Vitamin C, 1 ginseng, 1 gingko, 1 saw palmetto, and 3 Omega caps.

Mid morning, protein drink of 50 grams and a muffin.

Lunch sandwich of 1/2 lb meat with leaf lettuce and jalapeno mustard on 7 grain bread. A veggie pack, and 6 grams vitamin C, 1 gingko, 1 ginseng, 1 sawpalmetto, 1 tsp creatine, 3 Omega oil caps.

After work, pre workout, protein drink with orange juice, 1 tsp creatine, 1 tsp glutamine.

post workout, whatever is family dinner.

Bed time casein protein with milk 46 grams.

I also take branch chain aminos at breakfast, lunch and post workout. Hey at 55 I am 250 lbs, cholesterol is 125, body fat is 15% and wife is happy. This is what you have to look forward to and I am still training hard. So stop the worrying and get on the program.