T Nation

Hello All! Opinions Wanted!

My name is Flip!

Ive been lurking around for at least 7 to 8 months. Theres alot of information that needs to be digested here so ive spent most of my time just reading.

I would like to get some feedback on my training program.

Ive been working out now for 2 years, i picked up mountain biking about a year and a half ago. and after falling in love with it ive decided to start racing. Ive allready had my first race. got my second race this weekend!!!

The conflict is that i still want to get bigger. I know that biking goes against getting bigger but i dont want to stop doing either.

So i will try to be as detailed as possible just to see what some of u say.

I am 29 years old
5’10" between 165-175 i need that 10lbs flux for the races.
but i would say im usually around 168ish. I would like to get to about 180 of solid muscle.

I full body train 3 times a week
I warm up with stretching, push ups, pull ups, jump rope, exagerated jumping jacks
for the work out.I do all the usual stuff. I try and variate the tempo and stuff every 6 weeks.
leg curls
leg ext
squats
Bench press
D.B. pullovers
Rows
Bicep curls
Tricep ext
wrist curls
Calf raises
And lots of different AB movements from trunk curls, biclycles, weighted decline situps. I switch the ab exercises around.
I also once a week do 90 flights of staircases(i go up and down my building 3 times)

As for the Biking I usually ride 4 to 5 times a week. I go to the trails around 3 times and thats usually a 20 mile affair.
I do the road once or twice and thats usually a 30-50 mile affair.

So the upside to all this activity is i get to eat alot which i like to do anyways!!! Lucky ecto that i am quick metabolism!!! :slight_smile:

So i know nutrition is optimal to get the body composition you want.

A normal eating day for me is as follows.
I dont eat before i work out in the mornings.
I wake up have Nanovapor and get to work.
Post workout I have my shake with a banana scoop of superfoods & peanut butter all in the shake.

I also eat an egg, turkey & Cheese sandwich with 100% whole wheat bread omega 3 eggs 2%cheese etc. I usually wash it all down with water.

everyday i pack a lunch. if not i would startve i work driving around so its awesome to have my bookbag cooler
with all my goodies in it. In my goodie bag i have…

Whole wheat peanut butter and jelly (smart balance peanut butter & and polaner jelly)
I also have a whole wheat turkey, ham & cheese sandwich.

3 slices of each ham and 1 slice of cheese usually swiss, but i go between pepper jack, muenster, gouda, blue just for variety. I do put smart balance mayo and deli mustard
i also in my bag have yogurt, cottage cheese, string cheese, almonds, an orange, apple, grapes, watermelon, pineapple.

I also have 2 kashi bars one hard and one soft. like those apple ones that are kind of like nutragrain bars but without the high fructose corn syrup.

So thats what i eat throughout the day usually not even every 2 hours im usually eating about every hour.

I usually ride in the evening. so then when im done wit that im ready for dinner! oooohhhhh ddiinnnnnnneeerrrrr
I know this is supposed to be the meal u eat less carbs nad stuff, but as i said im usually fresh from a ride, and i visit my parents alot after i ride at least my dad since he lives close to the trail.

SO they know i try and eat healthy and for the most part they try and be patient with me but latin families like u to eat.

SO they try and stuff my face. usually chicken or steak which is fine. the thing is they only do the white rice thing which i think is fine since i usually just burned alot of stuff, but they ocasionally like to have fried stuff, and they are alsways trying to stuff desert down my face!!!

When i eat at home i try and stick to good stuff. like whole wheat burritos, brown rice, grilled chicken, whole wheat pastas,a nd organic tomatoe sauces with no HFCS.

So this is what an average day for me is like with trainig and nutrition.

Now remember my goal is to try ang get to 180lbs of good muscle. I will put a pic up so u can see what my body composition kind of looks like.

I know this is my first post and its basically a blog novel, but i eagerly anticipate your guys reactions & replies. Till then…

Keep the dream Alive…Make the dream a reality…LIVE THE DREAM!!!

Flip!

Could you possibly not write an essay.
** EDIT : More like could you organize things more clearly ~ how about a separate paragraph reserved for your energetic happy posts and excitement!

Weightlifting routine

List

Eating routine

List

Sorry I gave up after my eyes glazed over.

Please no myspace angles.

Lol, kinein…your funny.

but yeah; that was alot of information…sorta scattered.

i glazed through it and i think i got the gist of what your looking for.

your warmups seem to be a bit much…just start with your static stretching and leave teh pull ups and push ups out for a bit.

warm up with your lifts as well. instead of just jumping into a lift. do 2 or 3 sets of low low weight and higher reps to get your body ready to make the movement with higher weight.

if you want to add mass; eat more. it’s really that simple. eat clean, eat more…and that’s about it.

all the biking will really make it hard to gain size…but the solution for that: EAT MORE! lol

it’s so simple it’s consistantly overlooked.

train hard, eat and have fun man. welcome.

Make sure to do a general warmup before you start any stretching.

Other than that just what B rock said its mainly to do with calories

Ok here’s what struck me at first glance.

Workout:

Try doing just some mobility drills for your warm ups (like the Inside Out or Magnificent Mobility dvds) and then just stretching at the end.

With all the biking and also squats, I would say that Leg extensions aren’t necessary. Save your energy from these for the bigger lifts.

Also I would ditch the Leg curls and put in some Deadlifts for posterior chain, these will have the added bonus of adding muscle to your upperbody too. You can always add in some GHRs or Pull-throughs on your next rotation to change it up and hit the hams/glutes a bit differently.

Food:

I think you can relax a little with your diet, you are doing loads of calorie burning so live a little and don’t worry about the odd dessert here and there! Also the carbs in the eve are fine as they are straight after your ride.

Post biking I would have a carb and protein mix drink for recovery straight away even though you are going to eat soon.

As you need all the cals you can get, I would try and have something when you wake up, before you train. If you don’t have much time just have some whey mixed up quick in a shake. This will help get the proteins into your muscles quickly while you are training.

Also some slower digesting carbs before bed like cott cheese.

You are right that your goals are a bit conflicting, which is why the diet part is crucial for success.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
Lol, kinein…your funny.

i glazed through it and i think i got the gist …

[/quote]

No I think that sentence alone beat the funny out of my reponse to the OP.

Glazed through it. AHAHAHAHA.

Flip, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest the following:

Do NOT lift without eating something first. Get up earlier and have at least a whey shake and banana, then lift an hour later.

If you are an ecto, you may really benefit from BCAAs during training.

Don’t do all the calisthenic stuff when you lift (jumping jacks, etc.). Also, skip the stair running. You’re doing WAY plenty of cardio with all the biking that you enjoy; don’t add any more. When you go to the gym to lift, just do mobility drills and heavy lifting.

Use a post-workout drink like Surge. If you are an ecto, I feel it is a must. Then, one hour after your workout, eat a MUCH larger meal than you’re eating. Especially, much more protein. Eat as much as you possibly can in the post-workout meal.

Overall, try logging your intake on FitDay for a few weeks. I think you’ll find you’re not getting enough protein to grow, and you’re not getting enough most of the day. It is not enough to get a big hit of protein at dinner.

Go over to the T-Cell Alpha forum (link in top right corner of forum screen) and read The Bauer Chronicles thread. Granted, Bauer weighs like 100 pounds more than you and is not a beginner, but just get an idea of how much he is eating.

And notice that he went from skinny to big even when doing a large volume of cardio during football training. It can be done.

[quote]andersons wrote:
Flip, welcome to the forum.

I would suggest the following:

Do NOT lift without eating something first. Get up earlier and have at least a whey shake and banana, then lift an hour later.

If you are an ecto, you may really benefit from BCAAs during training.

Don’t do all the calisthenic stuff when you lift (jumping jacks, etc.). Also, skip the stair running. You’re doing WAY plenty of cardio with all the biking that you enjoy; don’t add any more. When you go to the gym to lift, just do mobility drills and heavy lifting.

Use a post-workout drink like Surge. If you are an ecto, I feel it is a must. Then, one hour after your workout, eat a MUCH larger meal than you’re eating. Especially, much more protein. Eat as much as you possibly can in the post-workout meal.

Overall, try logging your intake on FitDay for a few weeks. I think you’ll find you’re not getting enough protein to grow, and you’re not getting enough most of the day. It is not enough to get a big hit of protein at dinner.

Go over to the T-Cell Alpha forum (link in top right corner of forum screen) and read The Bauer Chronicles thread. Granted, Bauer weighs like 100 pounds more than you and is not a beginner, but just get an idea of how much he is eating.

And notice that he went from skinny to big even when doing a large volume of cardio during football training. It can be done.
[/quote]

will do thanks for the info!!!